Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CW on Radio  (Read 28166 times)
jsharp

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2007, 02:11PM »

It would help a lot if EMI would release any of their songs as singles.  Those are the ones that get all the radio air time.

Right. Radio is a very corporate-driven business and has very rigid rules about airplay and playlists. Album-oriented stations (remember those?) are extinct in most markets. The label has to release a single to make playlists and has to promote it to make heavy and moderate rotation (the number of times it's played per day). EMI has to take those steps. Then we can start requesting it.

Richard, wouldn't the ladies or even CW Ltd have to approve that happening first before it could happen?

That type of strategizing is usually done at the label level but the artists can try to push for it.

For all I know, EMI did a cost/benefit analysis of promotion versus potential sales and decided it was best to stick with PBS, concerts, and word of mouth. They're very scientific about it but sometimes they are very wrong, too. You can't always predict artistic success based on demographic studies and industry trends.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 02:30PM by jsharp1701 » Logged

“You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” - Anne Lamott

KiernanKate
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2007, 02:11PM »

thanks!
CWalltheway
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2007, 04:02PM »

Richard, wouldn't the ladies or even CW Ltd have to approve that happening first before it could happen?

hmm...didn't think of that. i'm working on putting together my own radio station and had already planned a couple of celtic woman hours each day (i'd play them 24/7, but my dad's working on it too, and he's not a fan). i guess i'll have to change that. :-(
celtic_girlakp
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2007, 11:46AM »

Oh no one would like my radio station if I did one. They would get tired of hearing a lot of the same songs.
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2007, 11:50AM »

Oh no one would like my radio station if I did one. They would get tired of hearing a lot of the same songs.
Gee, that sounds a lot like a top 40 station.   Undecided

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
chickie.monkey
Total Fanatic

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2007, 05:00PM »

and that's why i don't listen to the radio!  of course, its still the same songs over and over...just that they're the ones i want to listen to..LOL

Kimberly AJ
Choir Member

Chloë Agnew will always be my VBIF forever~!

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2007, 05:14PM »

A top 40 station? Ohh!!!!!!

LOOK OUT! ROGUE ROBOTS!
celticriver

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2007, 06:59AM »

Last year, I was listening to some Christmas channel on the internet and I heard the Christmas CD all the time. Sometimes, there would be 2 tracks an hour.  I am sorry I can't remember what station that it was on but it was some internet Christmas channel. I also read somewhere here, that someone is playing Amy Rivard's cd on their station.  Let's get the tunes on the air!
celtic_girlakp
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2007, 07:47PM »

Gee, that sounds a lot like a top 40 station.   Undecided

Oh I know. I do not like the radio but it is all I have right now cause my bad CD changer is so busted and just aaagggghhhhhhhhh! Angry
celticriver

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2007, 07:13AM »

It would help a lot if EMI would release any of their songs as singles.  Those are the ones that get all the radio air time.

Right. Radio is a very corporate-driven business and has very rigid rules about airplay and playlists. Album-oriented stations (remember those?) are extinct in most markets. The label has to release a single to make playlists and has to promote it to make heavy and moderate rotation (the number of times it's played per day). EMI has to take those steps. Then we can start requesting it.

That type of strategizing is usually done at the label level but the artists can try to push for it.

For all I know, EMI did a cost/benefit analysis of promotion versus potential sales and decided it was best to stick with PBS, concerts, and word of mouth. They're very scientific about it but sometimes they are very wrong, too. You can't always predict artistic success based on demographic studies and industry trends.

THANKS THAT WAS REALLY INTERESTING AND I HAD NO IDEA IT WORKED LIKE THAT!
FireGuyFrank

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2007, 07:55AM »

Radio stations in the USA today are far more segmented than the  stations I grew up with.  I actually was a DJ on WOKQ-FM in Dover, New Hampshire many, many years ago.  Back then we generally played the known artists (Country) and when a major record label had someone new, they sent the artist on a promotional tour to various markets.

Today, all the music is stored on computers.  DJs are just there to provide time, weather, maybe a traffic alert, or a quick joke.  There are some stations that have a technical person in the building standing by just in case the computer goes on the fritz.  The songs, station identification, and commercials essentially play themselves!

A friend of mine is still a DJ at a Boston country station.  I asked her if she could play "Almost Like a Song" by Ronnie Milsap (it would be a great CW tune now that I think about it!).  She said that there were only four Milsap songs in the playlist--and no deviation.  Why?  It depends on the program director and owner of the station I suppose.

Of course, you have already started to make calls and send e-mails to local stations.  That does get attention.  I suggest focusing on those stations to are "named" such as "Charlie", "Mike", or "Frank."  These are generally the stations that play "everything."  However, even with these stations that say they are like an iPod, they don't really play all possible types of music.

Best,
FireGuyFrank
jsharp

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2007, 10:27AM »

Today, all the music is stored on computers.  DJs are just there to provide time, weather, maybe a traffic alert, or a quick joke.  There are some stations that have a technical person in the building standing by just in case the computer goes on the fritz.  The songs, station identification, and commercials essentially play themselves!

I know. A few years back I tried to call in about a very serious breaking news event and the DJ said, "I can't break in to announce it right now. The computer isn't ready for me yet!"

And if any of you have ever wondered why so many terrible songs are so "popular" it's because the choices are limited before the songs ever reach your local station. The number of times a song will be played is determined before then, too. It's all about focus group testing, label politics, and money.

Aren't I a cynical ray of sunshine this morning!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 10:33AM by jsharp1701 » Logged

“You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” - Anne Lamott

OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2007, 12:10PM »

Aren't I a cynical ray of sunshine this morning!
Johnny, everything you said is true, but........

Grin

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
KiernanKate
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2007, 12:11PM »

Oy!! Rich that's just mean!!!  Tongue
Texas Chava

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2007, 03:42PM »

Well, I've never heard them on the radio here but Sunday night as I was dozing off, I heard songs from ANJ and of course I woke up totally!!  It was a commercial (and not on PBS) to buy ANJ.  I had trouble falling asleep after than!  Undecided

Banner by Scott
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: