Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What has happened to us?  (Read 25363 times)
The Quiet Man

« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2009, 10:42PM »

I remember myself, back in the beginning, I deliberately gave the first tour a miss because I was still licking my wounds from another experience with a crossover tour that ended in disaster and a website situation that turned hostile.  I frankly only came back to CW because Hayley was involved and the ANJ video looked more lively than the initial one.  It's really then that the whole CW community got off the ground and so on.  This community did show the pangs of birth and creaked with growing pains for some time, but I think it has now settled into a reasonable situation and avoided the excesses that some other forums fell into that ultimately destroyed them.  The group itself has gone through some changes and not everybody was happy with everything.  I think there was, somewhere along the line, a collective choice to accept that fact, and not stomp on every difference that arose.  The fact is that some of these forums the owners. I think, forget that though they may own the site, they aren't kings over their own little corner of the webverse.  I think we aren't there, thankfully.  I think the general age of the users has something to do with it too.  When you have a couple of older owners/mods and a bunch of teen and early twentysomething users, it's one dynamic.  When you have a fairly large and fairly diverse group of owners/mods and a higher average age, it's another dynamic.  

This is a living and breathing community, and it's likely to change again as things progress.  The day may come when Lisa "wants to be more involved with her children" or Mairead decides "the time has come to move on to something else," or Chloe or Lynn or Alex decide to launch solo careers.  Other soloists may come who some like more or less than those who came before.  The day may even come when the powers that be decide that Celtic Woman has run its course and it's time to wind things up, though I hope that day is a ways away.  This is really nothing new, we've all watched favorite television shows change season to season.  Maybe you lost interest in Law and Order once Jerry Orbach was out of the picture, and we all knew that all the Star Trek series had to end eventually.  That's ok.  The world didn't come to an end then, and it isn't going to come to an end when the next big change comes for CW.  If we're truly wise, we have to roll with the punches, take things as they come, and make and tolerate reasonable decisions.  If we do this, the rest of things shouldn't be an issue.    
thedoctor
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2009, 10:48PM »

Well said!!

I do think that you just opened another can of worms: Even hypothetically speaking this phrase "The day may come when Lisa "wants to be more involved with her children" or Mairead decides "the time has come to move on to something else," or Chloe or Lynn or Alex decide to launch solo careers."  may get you some flack Smiley

Emily!
Honorary Roadie

Mission Accomplished :)

« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2009, 12:20AM »

Well said!!

I do think that you just opened another can of worms: Even hypothetically speaking this phrase "The day may come when Lisa "wants to be more involved with her children" or Mairead decides "the time has come to move on to something else," or Chloe or Lynn or Alex decide to launch solo careers."  may get you some flack Smiley

Why? I think all of us here know that, unfortunately, all good things must come to an end. CW won't be around forever. We've already seen several girls come and go, and eventually that will probably happen with all of them, or the whole thing will just shut down all together.

That's why, for me, I'm enjoying the ride while I can. I'm buying my tickets, my M&Gs, and enjoying the shows as much as possible. This won't be forever, so better make it count now!

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart."
thedoctor
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2009, 01:04AM »

I was joking. According to.... if you can say this...... blog etiquette...... an "emoticon" can be used to express humor and signify a comment is a joke.
Mel
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2009, 04:18AM »

Hey, Peter!  Ya had no idea what you were starting, did ya?

I was going to say something similar lol.

now we got Emily all riled up.... she is kind of fun to watch when she gets going   Wink

<sits back and eats popcorn while watching the show  Cheesy)

Cash
Honorary Roadie

carry me...on the waves

« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2009, 05:13AM »

First, lets not give anyone who may be reading this any ideas of quiting, going solo, having kids (unless their departure is only temp) etc. (however it would be acceptable if one of the single ladies wants to marry me!  Shocked   Cheesy  ) Ok getting serious, we should strongly encourage the current members to stay put. Remind them that they are blessed with a great career now. They make a lot of money AND they get to do what they love. Many people are not that lucky. If they want kids, its been proven that you can be a Celtic Woman AND a MUM. And now with distance learning, they can even further their education while touring. DONT LEAVE!

Second, while it is a harsh reality that at some point someone will leave, its not an end. We have already seen changes and adaptation. I think back to March 2009. I went to see CW on the 3rd and 4th, but on March 1st, I attended the opening concert for Fleetwood Mac's Unleashed Tour! If I recall, Mick Fleetwood started the group before I was even born! Many joined and left, yet they keep rockin' ! Yes they are older and not as lively now. Stevie doesnt spin as fast, Lindsey doesnt jump around as much, Mick doesnt use the HOTZ vest. Christine is retired and not with them. But John McVie is still doing the same thing he did 40 years ago, just with gray hair now. But they still put on a very lively and entertaining show! I think CW will be similar. They may get to a point when they wont sell out places like they now do. May need smaller venues. Or may need to change some things to get attention and attract new fans. But they will still be around.

Third, as far as Mairead's clothing, or any of their clothing, I think any question of appropriateness it should be more along the lines of safety. I have said it before, that they should make Mairead wear proper shoes for jumping, spinning, dancing, etc. I have wondered why lawyers and insurers havent jumped in to complain. I wonder if they pay added insurance to cover any injury, because it seems the high heels add a significant risk of injury. But I am no dancer, so maybe I am all wrong. Plus, its hard to get a good look at her shoes, she moves too fast. Maybe they arent as high as I think.  Also, back when I saw the live show, I noticed Alex being very careful while coming down the steps by Ray's drums. She had that long dress on. It seems long dresses and steps shouldnt be combined. Some of those dresses should be a little shorter just for safety. If they show a little leg, who cares? Like Zankoku said, our society has legs all over the place. Nothing wrong or inappropriate about it. And I still dont know how some of you spotted Lynn's leg tatoo. I tried seeing their legs < looks down at ground and hangs head momentarily in quiet shame  Cheesy  >  and all I saw was dress. They are very well covered, esp. for today's standards. If people want to go on a moral crusade on that, I would think MTV would be a more appropriate target.

Home is behind, The world ahead, And there are many paths to tread, Through shadow, To the edge of night, Until the stars are all alight.
tc84
Total Fanatic

"Everywhere you go let your dreams surround you!"

« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2009, 05:59AM »

[...] It's easy to get caught up in the image vs. the artist as a person.  It's easy to see the ladies on stage singing and dancing and being angelic, or even to meet them briefly at a meet and greet or party where they are certain to be on their best behavior and come away thinking they are perfect or more than mortal.  They aren't.  They're performers who know how to perform, and might even be stage-managed a little to give that perfect image.  In the end they're people, though, and should be treated as such, lest this community fall into the trap of worshipping its objects to the point of becoming irrational and/or toxic.  I've been there and done that, and I must reluctantly but emphatically say that something has gone wrong in a forum where members are threatening each other with bodily harm or hurling nasty all-caps posts at anyone who even suggests that the performer or performers might have had an off night, or that this choice of music was not such a great one, or who is unhappy over perceived broken promises.  Not that that has happened here, it's the moderators' job to prevent that, but that's where you end up if you let anger insults, and even misplaced loyalty go unchecked. 

Frankly, I think we don't do the performers any favors by being hyper-loyal to the point of believing they can do no wrong.  The world at large doesn't eat sleep and breathe a particular performer.  Performers need to appeal to the world at large, not just their core fans, just like a political party needs to appeal to the whole nation, not just the base.  Hyper-loyal or intense fans who get angry or defensive when someone suggests their fave performer isn't perfect can be off-putting to the mainstream. 

Sorry but i have to give my two cent's to this...
first off you all know how much i adore Órlagh BUT i know she is a human being with faults every human being has got, she is unique as everyone is... So i'm not lost in a dreamworld without realizing that there is a life beyond CW and Órlagh! Yes i say that Órlagh is an Angel and i truly mean that from the experience i've made with her and what she did for me and that doesn't mean i make her to a person she doesn't is...

Now: Everyone has got their own taste and opinions and i would never expect anyone to share mine for example my Stepfather said a few times, that he couldn't listen to Órlagh for more than a few minutes... Well he said that in a very negative tone and it did upset me If he would have said like one of my best friends said to me "It's not my kind of music, but i'm happy for you that you found something making you happy" there would have been nothing to be upset about...I wasn't upset by the fact, that someone doesn't like Órlagh because well do i like everything? But i appreciate everything making people i care for truly happy no matter if i like it or not...
It's the WAY people are expressing their opinions.
Yes, i might be overexcited and most of you might get the impression, that i lost it completely but well at least I know that i have a life beside CW and Órlagh...

(Órlagh has just be an example to express my opinions...)

Well sorry i needed to say that...

Lots of Love!!!
coco xxx

"I think as a women we have so many other things to do in life, very important things, but also we have to be mothers and to support our children and guide them. Because (...) we all need guidance, don´t we?"
(C Zeta Jone 2005)
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2009, 08:03AM »

Why? I think all of us here know that, unfortunately, all good things must come to an end. CW won't be around forever. We've already seen several girls come and go, and eventually that will probably happen with all of them, or the whole thing will just shut down all together.

That's why, for me, I'm enjoying the ride while I can. I'm buying my tickets, my M&Gs, and enjoying the shows as much as possible. This won't be forever, so better make it count now!

You are right, CW won't be around forever ( Well maybe. Look at the Beach Boys.  Grin They may not be in the same form, but they are still around.

As for CW, yes All of the ladies may change but then you have more to experience.

Dierdre has her own show

Hayley has her own show

Orlagh is solo along with working with Brinkman

Not sure about Meav

Mairead does have her own group which I am sure will be active when she leaves CW

Same for all of them.

and look at the choir members and of course the drummers. They ar ebeing noticed and have their own fans.

Just think of the many possibilities all because of a one night show for PBS.

And PBS says tehy are not out to start groups.  Grin

Jim

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
hesprit
Total Fanatic

« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2009, 09:37AM »

"Secondly, the issue of Mairead's dress being inappropriate and whether or not the lighting is bad is like comparing apples to oranges. Mairead "showing too much leg" is a WAY more sensitive topic, not just because it's about Mairead, but really it's about women in general. Can you really expect that people wouldn't get a little touchy over it? "

I dont mean for people to debate what was actually said in that thread here but merely use it as an example.

Given these points:
1) It is not the topic of what is said in the threads but how people respond to them when they have a difference of opinion is what is being focused on
2) Given point 1, then it is comparing apples to apples

I ask this seriously to anyone: When someone says something you do not agree with, do you ask why they think that way?

While I see what you are getting at with the idea of asking for people's reasoning, I think you may still be missing the point Emily was bringing up.  It's one thing to ask about why someone felt the lighting was bad, or something which may change depending on where the person is sitting during a concert and it's something completely different to be saying that a dress, a song, a choice is in bad taste.  The first is easily an idea that can, and should, be discussed because it can make a huge difference.  On the other hand, as I had said before, making accusations or demands really does not leave room for discussion, they are just "out there" and only leave the possibility for reactions.   "Why do you think this?" is not going to help at that point.

Now, with that being said, I want to point this out ... I have been very pleased to see the exception to what I've been saying, and that actually IS the discussion about Mairead's dress.  The Leprechaun presented his opinion as exactly that, an opinion, but he also made a point of asking for other opinions.  He didn't state it as a fact, or as an accusation, he was openly asking for discussion, including opposing opinions.  Very well handled on his part, I must say, although I do have to admit that the back of my neck did bristle a little whan I first read it, as I'm sure many others did.  *chuckles*  I reacted emotionally first, but then something even better happened.

In addition to Leprechaun's fine example of wording, the responses also were kept in good form.  Emily was the first to respond, and she simply stated that she disagreed and why .. calmly and without any malice.  Rich was next, and I have to say, his post was probably one of the best "lead by example"  moderator posts I have ever seen.  With a simple, short post, he reminded everyone that it was okay for Leprechaun to have said what he did, as long as the rest were able to respond, AND, at the same time, Rich did respond in a way that didn't offer any insult to Leprechaun as well.  It was about as efficient and classy of a post as I've ever seen a moderator/Admin make to a controversial statement, and as the rest of the responses indicated, it was quite effective.  The only thing I've been wondering on that is whether Rich had planned it that way, or if it was an instinct as he simply posted what he felt?  Either way, though, definite kudos for it!
The Quiet Man

« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2009, 09:52AM »

Oh yes, definitely, these crossover acts have a shelf life, depending on their nature.  The point is we have to just go with the flow, take nothing for granted, and be mature and realistic about change.  There may be a discussion as things progress about whether the ladies should continue in a poppy direction or "return to their roots" with more traditional Irish pieces.  This is probably fair game as long as it doesn't break us into polarized camps and there's no perception that one side or the other is somehow disloyal or being "unsupportive."  

I say this, again, because where I came from there were questions, legitimate ones, of musical direction, artist-fan relations, and destructive behavior.  The site administrators simply chose to clamp down on anything that wasn't totally positive, resorting to banning, intimidation, etc.  In all fairness to CW, I think that was a unique situation, and we are unlikely to find ourselves with problems due to destructive behavior (the ladies are eiher responsible family people (Lisa and Alex) or have too much respect for themselves (Mairead and Lynn))or artist-fan relations (meeting the fans is BIG for them).  

Let's see what the future brings, is all I can see.

thedoctor
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2009, 11:18AM »

I know that the women of Celtic Woman fard. I know especially that they fard prior to a show. Sometimes they fard when they dont have a show. I dont have a problem with women farding, but it can take a long time.

Mods/Admins:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Fard
I say this as a test to see if I am questioned, attacked, banned, or laughed at. It is to prove a point
I in no way have said anything wrong or bad about Celtic Woman or said what you think I said
Emily!
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2009, 12:06PM »

I was joking. According to.... if you can say this...... blog etiquette...... an "emoticon" can be used to express humor and signify a comment is a joke.

Emoticon or not, it's hard to tell online when someone is "joking," and regardless of that fact, I was making a statement because there are many here who have legitimate concern about the girls leaving and CW breaking up.

(And before anyone freaks, CW isn't breaking up. I'm talking about WAY in the future).

I know that the women of Celtic Woman fard. I know especially that they fard prior to a show. Sometimes they fard when they dont have a show. I dont have a problem with women farding, but it can take a long time.

What does this have to do with anything we've been talking about? And before you say that I'm "attacking" you, I really just want to know why you feel like you have to "test" it to begin with. No one here has attacked, laughed at, or ridiculed anyone else. We're having a mature, adult discussion and I don't see anyone else being hurtful. We're just discussing.

I dont mean for people to debate what was actually said in that thread here but merely use it as an example.

Given these points:
1) It is not the topic of what is said in the threads but how people respond to them when they have a difference of opinion is what is being focused on
2) Given point 1, then it is comparing apples to apples

I ask this seriously to anyone: When someone says something you do not agree with, do you ask why they think that way?

Are you insinuating that I responded to the question of Mairead's dress inappropriately? Because if so, I respectfully disagree. As I said before, and as Peter kindly said above, I responded appropriately and calmly, expressing my disagreement. Why am I supposed to go through a long back and forth about WHY someone feels the way they do BEFORE I state my opinion? I don't see a written rule about that anywhere.

In addition, that wasn't what I was talking about to begin with. Please see Peter's explanation above. He put it much more eloquently than I could have.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 12:16PM by Emily! » Logged

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart."
lifeismusic2009
Total Fanatic

<3

« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2009, 12:20PM »

The way I see it, there is no possible way that everyone will agree on the issue of what is appropriate  and inappropriate. It won't happen no matter how many ways people explain themselves.
Secondly, if someone responds to a post inappropriately, then it is up to the mods to address them for their comments. In my opinion, Emily's response was perfectly fine and if she said something she shouldn't have then it would be for the moderators to say. So this point should be dropped. Period.
And I also believe that in order to be a member of any forum, you have to be able to just let things roll of your back. No one thinks the same way and they can state their opinion just like you can. Just because we all love Celtic Woman does not mean that we will love everything about them without any disagreements. If someone says something that you don't agree with, state your side and move on.

Thanks, Dayna, for my awesome banners!
Emily!
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2009, 12:22PM »

The way I see it, there is no possible way that everyone will agree on the issue of what is appropriate  and inappropriate. It won't happen no matter how many ways people explain themselves.
Secondly, if someone responds to a post inappropriately, then it is up to the mods to address them for their comments. In my opinion, Emily's response was perfectly fine and if she said something she shouldn't have then it would be for the moderators to say. So this point should be dropped. Period.
And I also believe that in order to be a member of any forum, you have to be able to just let things roll of your back. No one thinks the same way and they can state their opinion just like you can. Just because we all love Celtic Woman does not mean that we will love everything about them without any disagreements. If someone says something that you don't agree with, state your side and move on.

Thank you, and exactly. Nobody is going to agree on everything, but friendly discussion is fine. As long as everyone behaves appropriately and maturely then it's all good.

dudalak
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2009, 12:25PM »

The production of the show is not of our business, I LOVED the new show and you can believe it.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 01:31PM by tiburongirl » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: