Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CW on CNN  (Read 8747 times)
James
Total Fanatic

« on: July 13, 2007, 11:08AM »

Hi everyone! I found this transcript of the CW on CNN when they were in New York for St. Patrick's Day and Radio City Hall concert.

Although I have to take note that the "Unidentified Female" is Meav

PHILLIPS: Several other Irish leaders are also in town, also talking with Mr. Bush about peace on the emerald isle.

Well, St. Patrick, of course, is Ireland's patron saint. And so half a million revelers, give or take, ignored a late winter chill for the St. Pat's Parade today in Dublin. By way of context, the spectators amount to one-eighth of Ireland's population. That would be like 37.5 million people watching the parade in New York.

In point of fact, two million people were expected for the march in Manhattan. Live pictures right now. The speaker of New York City Council not among them. Christine Quinn, who is openly gay, is boycotting because Irish gays are not allowed to march under their own banner. That's a dispute that dates back to 1991. New York boasts the biggest St. Patty's parade in American. But where's the second biggest? Not in Boston or Chicago, but in Savannah, Georgia, of course. Live pictures from Savannah this year. With the big day falling on a Friday, Savannah expected a bigger turnout than usual. The parade isn't the only attraction in town, though. The Annual Savannah Music Festival begins today. I'll tell you what, it is one fun event.

Well, as luck would have it, Celtic Woman needs no more four-leaf clovers. Their pot of gold lies at the top of worldwide musical charts. These glamorous and talented musicians have taken Celtic and classical music and intertwined that with a mystical new age feel.

Celtic woman is to the voice what Riverdance is to the feet, and we have the pleasure to bring Mabe, Orla, Lisa and Chloe to you live from New York on this St. Patrick's day.

Hello, ladies.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALES: Hello, you how are you?

PHILLIPS: I love it, all together. Now we're missing our fiddler today, right? She's feeling a little under the weather.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: She is.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: A little bit under the weather, yes. We have a show tonight in Radio City, so she's -- we put her on bedrest.

PHILLIPS: Well, good, because she's a very important part of the show.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Yes, absolutely.

PHILLIPS: OK, now so just so I don't get confused. From left to right tell me each -- now I know that I've got Mabe, Orla, Lisa and Chloe, So tell me where everybody is. I don't have the order.

LISA, CELTIC WOMAN: I'm Lisa.

PHILLIPS: There's Lisa.

ORLA, CELTIC WOMAN: I'm Orla.

PHILLIPS: Orla.

CHLOE, CELTIC WOMAN: I'm Chloe.

PHILLIPS: There's Chloe.

MABE, CELTIC WOMAN: And I'm Mabe.

PHILLIPS: And there's Mabe.

There we go. All right. Let me ask you, guys, how did this all begin? How it did it start? Lisa?

LISA: Well, we were all basically working on different projects with the musical director, and composer, and arranger David Downes, and he thought it would be really exciting to put a group of five women together to produce the show, so we all agreed to do what we thought was just going to be one night's work, and it just kind of spiralled from there.

PHILLIPS: And what amazes me is, I was reading about each one of you, I was reading about your fiddler, Meav, your fiddler. She started at the age of six.

And speaking of young, Chloe, are you really only 16?

CHLOE, CELTIC WOMAN: Yes.

PHILLIPS: This must be amazing for you.

CHLOE: It's a wonderful experience, and I mean, getting to work with such talented women is a brilliant part of it. So I mean, it's a wonderful opportunity, and I'm loving every minute of it.

PHILLIPS: From age to various talents, Orla, you bring the harp into the mix. When did you start playing the harp?

ORLA: I started playing the harp at the age of 12. I went to -- I come from a very small village in (INAUDIBLE), and I went to boarding school in Dublin, and have a great harp tradition, so I picked up the harp there, and I love it, because I always loved to sing, and the harp is (INAUDIBLE) to accompany myself singing with it.

PHILLIPS: Well, You all have amazing voices. I want to play a little bit about -- from wealthy widow, and then, Mabe, I want to ask you a question.

(MUSIC)

PHILLIPS: Now, Mabe, I know this is a terrible question, because I'm Irish, and I should know this, you're singing in Gaelic, right?

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Mabe is singing in Irish, yes.

MABE: That's right, that's Gaelic.

PHILLIPS: So tell me, why is it so important not just to sing in English, but you know, in the dialect?

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Why is it important to sing in Gaelic? Not just in English, but in Gaelic?

MABE: Well, it's very personal, because singing in Irish feels like a big connection to our roots, so for me, it feels very comfortable. It's like coming home singing in Irish.

PHILLIPS: Now, Lisa, I understand, did Mabe lose her IFB? Is that why she can't hear me? OK, that's all right. No problem. That's OK. It's hard micing up four people.

Now why did you decide -- and, Lisa, I'll let you answer this -- to have this type of format, this sort of new age, mystical, combined with the classical and the Celtic? Was this so you could reach not only those of -- that love traditional Irish music, but that you could branch out and really go worldwide with the music? LISA: Well, I think the whole emphasis on the show was that, as soloists, we would remain quite individual within the show, and obviously we come from very different musical backgrounds. So David was always insistent we stick to the style of singing and music that we were used to. So with the result it combines all varieties of music, from very classical music to very traditional Irish music, and then on to the more contemporary. And with the result we found it has appealed to a huge variety of people.

PHILLIPS: Well, it's interesting, you mentioned coming from all different backgrounds.

Orla, let me ask you this. Do all of you get in discussions about the politics of Ireland as well? I mean, from Northern Ireland, across Ireland, and do you think your music somehow helps with, you know, the political situation in Ireland?

ORLA: Well, I suppose music is a very -- none of us ever really get involved in the politics, but we just think -- we feel that music is an international language. It's a very healing -- it touches people's hearts and souls, and I think people find solace and healing in our music, and it reaches out to so many different cultures, to people through so many different languages, but it just speaks to many, many people, and crosses many different barriers and divides, and brings people together from so many diverse and varied cultures.

PHILLIPS: And as I look at the music videos, I can't help but see David Downs.

Chloe, are you the youngest one of the group? And if so, I'm assuming that David's been a pretty amazing mentor for you and the rest of the ladies.

CHLOE: Oh, absolutely. I'm the baby of the group, but I've never felt any different. I mean, I've never been treated very differently. So David has really been a great guide really. He's such a genius. He's a musical genius, he really is, and he's really easy to work with. So I mean, he knows us all so well now knows what kind of music suits us and where we're developing and where we're at with our music and the way we perform. So I mean he's a great person to work with.

Well, Celtic -- I always want to say "Celtic women" but Celtic Woman is the name of the group. All of you absolutely amazingly talented women. Thank you so much for your time. Happy St. Patrick's Day.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALES: Thank you.

PHILLIPS: It was great to have you. We're going to actually go to break with a little "Danny Boy." We can't go without hearing this. It's absolutely gorgeous.

Thanks, Ladies.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Thank you very much. UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Thank you.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Bye-bye.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Bye.

here is the link to where I got it from: http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0603/17/lol.01.html (you have to scroll down further..it takes some time to find it)

James
Total Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 11:16AM »

Actually...the whole "Unidentified Female(s)" thing gets very confusing  Huh....so it could technically be saying it's Meav or someone else...sorry about that  Huh

Nero Angelo
Honorary Roadie

You will not forget this devil's power!

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 11:20AM »

Mabe? And Chloe describing herself as the 'baby of the group'... Cheesy Cheesy

OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 11:42AM »

I was reading about your fiddler, Meav, your fiddler.

Hmmmmmm..........  Wink

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
Kelli
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 11:52AM »

Great find JC-25!  From reading that, it almost seems as if Meav's (AKA Mabe's LOL) mic malfunctioned and the "unidentified female" at the beginning is Lisa relaying questions to her.  Such a Lisa thing to do, making everything go smoothly  Wink  I love how where Orlagh's from ended up as "inaudible".  Do you suppose she was talking too fast for him or he just has never heard of Knockananna?  And I can hear Lisa's voice in the end saying, "Thank you very much!"

Visit Órla's Garden, a fansite for Órla Fallon!

What's important often does not stand out but is simply standing quietly.   :  Noah benShe
fireyred09
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 12:21PM »

WHOA! That was a rather confusing read! But it was definitely an awesome find!
Although, that 'Mabe' thing was a bit irritating  Cheesy

Thanks for sharing it with us!  Smiley

I can hear Lisa's voice in the end saying, "Thank you very much!"

Right there with you! I love when she says this in the iceberg radio interview.
Kelli
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 12:29PM »

I can hear Lisa's voice in the end saying, "Thank you very much!"

Right there with you! I love when she says this in the iceberg radio interview.

Me too, I think that is my favorite radio interview to date...I love getting a glimpse of their senses of humor, particularly Meav's!

Visit Órla's Garden, a fansite for Órla Fallon!

What's important often does not stand out but is simply standing quietly.   :  Noah benShe
fireyred09
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 12:34PM »

Amen to that!  Wink
Trouble
Bodhrán Player

Play with Fire.

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 12:38PM »

oh i love the iceberg interveiw!

Thanks Lindsey
mainopsman

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007, 10:36AM »

I hope they are on Letterman and the Ellen shows the next time they are in New York.  They could be the entire show.  I know I would be watching and taping.

JIM

Dedicate some of your life to others.  Your dedication will not be a sacrifice.  It will be an exhilarating experience because it is intense effort applied toward a meaningful end.   Dr. Thomas Dooley
KiernanKate
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 10:48AM »

Phoey on Letterman ..... they should go on Conan O'brien .... that'd be hilarious!!!
Thistle
Total Fanatic

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2007, 11:45AM »

Phoey on Letterman ..... they should go on Conan O'brien .... that'd be hilarious!!!
Actually, Letterman might make sense too in a way; I'm not sure if anybody else remembers this, but the first Celtic Woman CD was once the prize for one of his studio audience contests! (That plus the interview section would be pure gold, since I thoroughly enjoy seeing him be totally outwitted & outclassed by his guests... Grin Grin Grin )

"Listen, my child," you say to me;
"I am the voice of your history!"
mainopsman

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2007, 06:13AM »

Perhaps its time for the members of the forum to start a letter writing campaign to get some of the big TV talk shows to have them on for the entire show, the next time they are here.  It certainly give them a wider exposure to the rest of the US and Canada.   I sure it would make us all very happy to see them in that format.

JIM

Dedicate some of your life to others.  Your dedication will not be a sacrifice.  It will be an exhilarating experience because it is intense effort applied toward a meaningful end.   Dr. Thomas Dooley
Kelsey

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2007, 01:39PM »

Perhaps its time for the members of the forum to start a letter writing campaign to get some of the big TV talk shows to have them on for the entire show, the next time they are here.  It certainly give them a wider exposure to the rest of the US and Canada.   I sure it would make us all very happy to see them in that format.

JIM

I absolutely agree with you.  We really should start writing letters to hopefully encourage shows to put Celtic Woman on their show.

Kimberly AJ
Choir Member

Chloë Agnew will always be my VBIF forever~!

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2007, 02:00PM »

I think that part really gives me an oopsie! Cheesy

LOOK OUT! ROGUE ROBOTS!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: