Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's in a name?  (Read 13001 times)
CWFan2
Total Fanatic

Love You Always Lisa!!

« on: July 16, 2007, 04:47PM »

Evening all ...

A question, for those of you in the know and one long, long over-due. I actually meant to ask this many moons ago but got caught up in all (the other) flurry of activity here at the CW Forum. Now, I must ask, I am dying to know and it bothers me not being sure about this but ...

What in God's name is the CORRECT pronunciation of Mairead's name?? It is a beautiful name, just as the names of the other lovely ladies' are. But it's killing me not knowing or being sure of the correct way of saying this.

Can anyone help?

(My first visit here to the Forum in probably 6 weeks or so. Busy with other things although ... rest assured I [still] do and I mean I [STILL] do listen to CW CDs and Lisa's CD in my vehicle EVERY day and I still watch CW DVDS every single evening and yes I mean EVERY single evening! They are (still) a MAJOR, MAJOR part of my everyday life and always, always will be. I could not live without the lovely, talented Angels of CW in my life every day, as you all know and (mostly) agree with, I'm sure).

With that out of the way, back to my question about the correct pronunciation of Mairead's (beautiful) name and ... is there any special meaning to it?

Thanks kindly all ... Bill

Still And Forever ... Our Angel From Heaven
jillebeans
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 04:58PM »

Ok let me see if I can explain Maireads name. The easiest way I have found to say it is to compare it to parade.  So say it with a m instead. The e is silent.  I hope that helps and is right. SmileySmiley
Maggie
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 05:02PM »

It''s my name too, and I'm from the same part of Ireland as our favorite fiddler.

For the correct pronunciation, hear it from the lady herself.

Go to her website, there is a little box on the left that says "click here to listen to Máiréad's welcome". Turn your volume way up, she speaks very quietly and the first words she says are "Máiréad here".

www.maireadnesbitt.com/10240768.html

it is pronounced differently in parts of Ireland. For example, in Ulster it is pronounced Mur-ee-id

« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 09:06AM by Maggie » Logged
Texas Chava

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 05:23PM »

Good to see you back CWFan2, it has been a LONG time since you last posted and we all missed you!

Banner by Scott
CWFan2
Total Fanatic

Love You Always Lisa!!

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 06:15PM »

Thank you Chava. I do appreciate that. I will try to stop in more often. I do enjoy this Forum and of course I LOVE our Angels of Celtic Woman so I should WILL try to get here more often.

Thanks again and thanks (to all) for the help with Mairead's name.

Peace to ALL ... Bill

Still And Forever ... Our Angel From Heaven
Trouble
Bodhrán Player

Play with Fire.

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 08:36AM »

yes i tell people its like parade but with a M!

Thanks Lindsey
davesab

Duty, Honor, CW

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 10:45AM »

It''s my name too, and I'm from the same part of Ireland as our favorite fiddler.

Go to her website, there is a little box on the left that says "click here to listen to Máiréad's welcome". Turn your volume way up, she speaks very quietly and the first words she says are "Máiréad here".

it is pronounced differently in parts of Ireland. For example, in Ulster it is pronounced Mur-ee-id

As usual, Maggie comes to the rescue!
She also introduces herself in the interview section one of the dvds.
I don't have it handy right now to check....

Dave
Kelli
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 12:33PM »

As usual, Maggie comes to the rescue!
She also introduces herself in the interview section one of the dvds.
I don't have it handy right now to check....

Right you are, that's on the Helix DVD. 

Bill, welcome back, you've been missed! 

Kelli

Visit Órla's Garden, a fansite for Órla Fallon!

What's important often does not stand out but is simply standing quietly.   :  Noah benShe
JEdwards
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 10:51PM »

On Mairead's website there is a clip from a TV show hosted by Gerry Kelly. Sure enough, in his introduction he pronounces her name this way.
Starrgurl

All the things she said running through my head...

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 04:55PM »

Finally I get to hear her voice! So to confirm, it sounds like she's pronouncing it "ma-REED". Are you sure it's like parade with an m?

If we all will dare to dream dreams
Of a new and brighter day
If we work to make them come true
We will surely find a way
Maggie
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2007, 07:08AM »

On Mairead's website there is a clip from a TV show hosted by Gerry Kelly. Sure enough, in his introduction he pronounces her name this way.

Yes he does, because he's from Ulster.
JEdwards
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2007, 01:51PM »

Yes he does, because he's from Ulster.

Actually, I kind of prefer the Ulster pronunciation to the "Mairead, as in parade" way. Sounds more musical.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 09:38PM by JEdwards » Logged
Starrgurl

All the things she said running through my head...

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2007, 07:41PM »

But I'm almost certain she's saying ma-REED.

If we all will dare to dream dreams
Of a new and brighter day
If we work to make them come true
We will surely find a way
CTofer

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2007, 02:15PM »

Alot of it seems to have to do with the slightly different accents from
one part of Ireland to another, as Maggie indicated

I do distinctly remember when I purchased Mairead's Raining Up cd at a CW show,
the girl behind the table pronounced it "Muh-wrayd".

Maggie
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2007, 03:23PM »

OK, once again.....

Máiréad is from Tipperary.

Her name as she pronounces it, and as I pronounce it, is Muh-rayd.

The first syllable is very short, the "d" at the end is very soft.

Just as on her website.

Going round in circles here! Roll Eyes

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: