Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Celtic Thunder has a violinist  (Read 35904 times)
MikeyK
Honorary Roadie

Proud Chloëver

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2009, 01:37PM »

Mairead describes her dancing as coming from how she feels it in the music. I think that's the same with Ms. O'Leary, and being a different person, feels the music differently. Smiley
MaryNorth93
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2009, 02:00PM »

Remember the Producer of this CT Show is Sharon Browne, who was involved in the creation of Celtic Woman.

Maybe the Production Team wanted Ruth to play it "like Máiréad".
She may have preferred to do it her own more natural way, but had no choice.

I think it's a mistake to imitate Máiréad.....there is only one.
When anyone tries, comparison is inevitable.......she makes it difficult for all other Celtic Fiddlers to establish their own style.
But I don't think we should belittle their playing ability.

She is a very good player, technically. But she should try to be herself and not imitating someone else. Her smile, her jumping, it seems so fake. If the production-team said to her she has to play like Maíréad, is that in my opinion really wrong. If a musician gets the chance to be her/himself, than you see her/his true skills and charather...

Maíréad and André Rieu are for me the best violinists ever..  Cheesy
celticfan1973
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2009, 09:44AM »

I watched that video, and I'm really not impressed but those girls, they are quite tacky. Besides Mairead has much more class then that. Just like my banner says in the Mairead Forum " There is only one Mairead" Cheesy
Maggie
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2009, 10:21AM »

I watched that video, and I'm really not impressed but those girls, they are quite tacky. Besides Mairead has much more class then that. Just like my banner says in the Mairead Forum " There is only one Mairead" Cheesy

I must agree there were parts of the concert which were very "tacky".
When the DVD started, I thought " I might send this to the kids in Ireland".

As it went on I thought "No, I won't".

Apart from the tacky bits, some of the songs didn't fit.

That is where Celtic Woman wins over every other.....class and elegance.

Kelli
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2009, 11:21AM »

This is not directed at any one person.  No one gets to Celtic Thunder or Celtic Woman without earning their way in.  We each have our favorites, but it doesn't mean others are without merit.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 01:06PM by Kelli » Logged

Visit Órla's Garden, a fansite for Órla Fallon!

What's important often does not stand out but is simply standing quietly.   :  Noah benShe
Cash
Honorary Roadie

carry me...on the waves

« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2009, 09:47AM »

I think Celtic Thunder has a good idea. The stars of the group are all male, all vocalists, and really dont move around very much. They are very stationary. So, adding a woman instrumentalist and having her move around a bit more is the right idea. Its just a bit too much all at once. A bit too much of a change in pace.

But thats why the idea of adding Deirdre to this show is a great one. Look at it this way, they can have Deirdre sing a slow , serious kind of song say a third of the way in the first half of the live show, then have the fiddler do a more lively cheerful piece maybe 2 thirds the way through. Then, in the second half, have Deirdre sing a lively upbeat kind of song, then 2 thirds in the second half, have the lady fiddler do a slower kind of piece.   

They have a real problem with the guys dancing / moving though. If they try it, will that work? I doubt it. It can work for pop artists, but for performing arts audiences, it would be tough. They can try to have others move around a bit, but that goes against the persona of the stars, so it sort of contradicts itself, if that makes any sense? I dont think they can add a lot of motion, given the group itself. They just have to work around that and have a change of pace thats based on other things, like adding lady singers, or lady instrumentalists. And that seems to be what they are doing.

Home is behind, The world ahead, And there are many paths to tread, Through shadow, To the edge of night, Until the stars are all alight.
Gail

« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2009, 05:26PM »

Actually, I made note of that fiddler sometime back. I think she does a pretty good job (she seemed pretty natural to me - moving to the music) but there is only ONE Maeraid ! ! !   

She doesn't move as fast as Maeraid and I haven't seen her bouncing up & down "dancing" while fiddling madly, as Maeraid does.

She IS pretty, but Maeraid also tops her in that category, too ........ Maeraid's a real beauty, a "doll" ! ! ! !
celticfan1973
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2010, 12:43PM »

Yes I know i'm quoting myself... Cheesy I have thought alot about what I said about these girls, I never really gave them a chance. I just had it in me head, " Oh no, she is trying to act like Mairead." So I gave the girls a bad wrap, and wanted to judge them. I went back and watched the video again. I really liked the song, the girls are very talented, and great singers too as I found out checking out another Celtic Thunder video "16." But I will tell you a few things I didn't like.  The hip thing the girls in the back do altogether, and  the weird leaning back thing. You know that is all choreographed. But they all look like they are having alot of fun which is important.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 01:38PM by Celtic~Fan~73 » Logged
Angie
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2010, 04:15PM »

I like the fiddler from C.T. and although at first I kind of thought she was immitating too - in watching her more, and getting used to her, I can see she is very different, and I like her style, not that it takes away from Mairead, it is just another artist with another style.

Maighread Loves Mairead

Lynn is an angel! w00t!

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2011, 06:44PM »

I happen to personally like Ruth O'Leary.  I am also an Irish fiddler.  In my studies, I have found that dancing is part of Irish fiddling.  I have tried to copycat Mairead on my own and her style of dancing doesn't work for me.  Since dancing is part of Irish fiddling, I think we should cut Ms. O'Leary and Celtic Thunder some slack.

Mairead is Heaven's Missing Angel
hayleynibhaoleafh<3'scelticwoman!
Honorary Roadie

U can have my <3, if U don't mind broken things...

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2011, 09:58PM »

they've got a few fiddle girls. theyve got some cool stuff in Voyage XD

Loooooove Hayley xxx
~~~~~~~Maybe it's not about the happy endings... maybe it's about the story...~~~~~~
Friend are angels ~*~ Cherish them
Cash
Honorary Roadie

carry me...on the waves

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2011, 04:23AM »

I think the name of the latest one is Nicole Hudson. I liked the chemisty she had with Ryan on Black is the Colour. And she and the other 2 ladies just did a great job in general. Always swaying, smiling, making it all look fun.

Home is behind, The world ahead, And there are many paths to tread, Through shadow, To the edge of night, Until the stars are all alight.
barb kantartzis
Total Fanatic

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2011, 10:18AM »

k guys!  This is were I get excited again!  I love both groups extremely much! That includes the fiddlers / girls from cveltic thunder! I have sephiras new christmas cd and absolutely adore it, it is so much fun to listen to! Nicole also has been playing with the girls on the tapins to and I think she is really petty (reminds me of a friend of mine!) and I think megan's her name (blonde??) who is very good also! And ashley is very pretty too!  Actaully kinda sorta reminds me of helen kelly alittle! Yes I sort of agree that ruth and joyce don't move around as much as mairead but, they are not the leads and do not really have solo songs so I think thats what they are told to do??  but they are nt up on that stage and in front of the camera for nothing! ANd I know one of the singers is haley jo and her mom also sang baby its cold outside with ryan.  But here is the interesting fact .... Cora smythe if anyone looks at Maireads early performances with the taping of feet of flames the other fiddler that was with Mairead was cora smythe! I did not recognise her in the video and didn't think she was doing anything else but if she worked with mairead and from what I saw on the video of feet of flames she's pretty awesome to!  And I can't wait to see voyage! and yes I will always love mairead and my girls to very much!  They have a special place in my heart always!!  So I don't like it when any one says anything bad about any of the girls in cw or ct (and that goes for the guys to!) It's not right and they all have to have some sort of talent to be on that stage and they are their for a reason!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 10:25AM by barb kantartzis » Logged

I I I I hear your voice on the wind, and I I I I hear you call out my name, listen my child you say to me I am the voice of your history be not afraid come follow me answer my call and i'll set you frrreeeee!!!!!!!
barb kantartzis
Total Fanatic

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2011, 10:19AM »

There are also at least 2 other very pretty and talented ladies, in addition to that Celtic Thunder lady, that try to do the dancin' violin thing. Cora Smyth is probably known by most here. The other's name I dont know. She toured with Lord of the Dance, troupe 2, in 2008 (or was it 2007 I saw them? lol) . Both Cora and this other one were very pretty blondes as well. So, whats the difference between Mairead and them?

Energy!  For some reason, Mairead just lghts up the place. The others have talent, looks, etc. but the same magic just doesnt occur in the same levels as with Mairead. It could be that Mairead is one of the principles of the CW show and sort of feeds off that aspect of being a star of a highly successful show. The others are more secondary, getting less time in the spotlight, and are part of a successful group, but one that maybe doesnt get as much success or attention, as CW.

There is a great YouTube video of Mairead and Cora together doing their thing. If you havent seen it, see it! It will WOW you.

http://www.youtube.com/waych?v=ywmptwm8avs
ooooppppss!  Just mentioned about this! Didn't know you posted the video!  lol!  Thanks!

I I I I hear your voice on the wind, and I I I I hear you call out my name, listen my child you say to me I am the voice of your history be not afraid come follow me answer my call and i'll set you frrreeeee!!!!!!!
Gail

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2011, 09:10PM »

I agree with "MaryN" .............Maeraid and Andre Rieu ! ! !............I LOVE Andre, have a number of his DVD's also, watch his concerts when I catch them, and visit his website, too. I also have the book his wife wrote about his, and their, life.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: