Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Celtic Thunder has a violinist  (Read 35750 times)
celticfan1973
« on: December 16, 2009, 03:07PM »

I came across this picture on flickr in a Celtic Thunder picture album. It looks like someone is trying to imitate someone. Hmmm. Cheesy

Godshorsegirl
Bodhrán Player

My fiddle is tuned for playing!

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 04:02PM »

I noticed that she likes to try and do what Mairead does too. She is VERY good though!  I think her name is Ruth, I forgot her siters name but her sister toured with CT also.

Cash
Honorary Roadie

carry me...on the waves

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 06:18PM »

There are also at least 2 other very pretty and talented ladies, in addition to that Celtic Thunder lady, that try to do the dancin' violin thing. Cora Smyth is probably known by most here. The other's name I dont know. She toured with Lord of the Dance, troupe 2, in 2008 (or was it 2007 I saw them? lol) . Both Cora and this other one were very pretty blondes as well. So, whats the difference between Mairead and them?

Energy!  For some reason, Mairead just lghts up the place. The others have talent, looks, etc. but the same magic just doesnt occur in the same levels as with Mairead. It could be that Mairead is one of the principles of the CW show and sort of feeds off that aspect of being a star of a highly successful show. The others are more secondary, getting less time in the spotlight, and are part of a successful group, but one that maybe doesnt get as much success or attention, as CW.

There is a great YouTube video of Mairead and Cora together doing their thing. If you havent seen it, see it! It will WOW you.

http://www.youtube.com/waych?v=ywmptwm8avs

Home is behind, The world ahead, And there are many paths to tread, Through shadow, To the edge of night, Until the stars are all alight.
Celtic Lass
Total Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 10:04AM »

Yah. I saw that on PBS when the program was on. It made me sick. Needless to say CT is slowly loosing my respect. Their really good and you can't deny they have talent, but its not for me anymore.
lovelycherylwinner
Total Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 12:49PM »

I came across this picture on flickr in a Celtic Thunder picture album. It looks like someone is trying to imitate someone. Hmmm. Cheesy

Well they say "imitation is the formost form of flattery" or something like that. She may be doing the same thing as Mairead, but it will never look or feel the same. They are almost as talented as Mairead but no one will ever be as loved or do it the same way as she dose.

The treasure of true freindship will never lose its glow.
The Impatient New Yorker
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 12:56PM »

when I watched the video on youtube since I'm also a CT fan but prefer CW I thought to myself "Someone wants to be like Mairead"

I've met Lisa L, Lynn(2x), Susan, Mairead C(2x), Mairead N (2x), Edel, Sarah, Nick, Craig, Anthony, Maggie, and Tommy
SusanZ
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 03:27PM »

I certainly understand that we are partial to Mairead when it comes to fiddle players on the forum.She is,indeed, one of a kind. However, I have seen this young lady perform and she certainly is not without a lot of talent. Mairead will always be number 1 with us, but that still leaves room on the list for other gifted musicians.

Zee

"We create our tomorrows by what we dream today"
Thanks Hayley for the great banner!!
Natalia
Bodhrán Player

May 12 was a wonderful day!

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 05:33PM »

I can't say I can blame violinists for wanting to be like Mairead  Grin

celticfan1973
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 09:32AM »

when I watched the video on youtube since I'm also a CT fan but prefer CW I thought to myself "Someone wants to be like Mairead"

Do you remember what the video, or song was called? Cheesy
Celtic Lass
Total Fanatic

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 09:49AM »

Here's one at least: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZzcf8N8SQY
MaryNorth93
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 10:09AM »

Shocked  Lips sealed

I never liked Celtic Thunder, but this just... HORRIBLE! A violinist with too much make-up and three weird-looking background violinists... O.o I already knew this piece by Liam Neeson, goodness, he did it a lot better...

Don't get me wrong... I always try to give another fiddle-players a chance, since there a lot of great violinists around the world, not only Maíréad...  Wink Although she is for me number 1 together with André Rieu.

But this girl is so horrible trying to imitate Maíréad! She is surely not playing bad, but she should try to be herself  Undecided

I hope I did not offend anyone... Soms numbers by Celtic Thunder are nice, it's just not my cup of tea.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 10:12AM by MaryN. » Logged
Maggie
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 01:34AM »

I noticed that she likes to try and do what Mairead does too. She is VERY good though!  I think her name is Ruth, I forgot her siters name but her sister toured with CT also.

The fiddler/violinist who got your attention is Ruth O'Leary, her sister Joyce is also a violinist on the CT "Take Me Home" DVD.
They are very accomplished musicians with multiple degrees, and in my opinion you can not have too many Celtic Fiddlers.
I have no doubt these two ladies know Máiréad, and she would want us to be nice.

Ruth and Joyce are not new to the concert scene, as one look at their Bio would confirm.

The two sisters formed a Duo known as Sephira  http://www.sephira.ie/index.html
One astounding fact from their Biography is that Joyce made her performance debut at the age of 3,
playing a Bach Minuet (not an easy piece!) on the Stage of the National Chamber Hall in Dublin!

This bit from their Bio and a glance at the whole page may surprise you:

"Sephira are Joyce O’Leary (vocals and violin) and Ruth O’Leary (violin and vocals)- two young classically trained musicians who have forged their own musical niche. Their debut album ‘Believe’ was released to critical acclaim in 2006.

The girls’ musical background is what can only be described as multifaceted! At 18 Ruth headed to the prestigious London Guildhall School of Music to study for a BA in Music Performance. She continued her studies in Dublin, where she received her first class honours B.A. with a performance of Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto at the NCH. During these long years of study Ruth was torn between her classical training where she was attending master-classes over seas with world-renowned professors and soloists and the beckoning world of show business that saw her perform with world-class acts such as Rodrigo y Gabriela and Kanye West.
Joyce, in hot pursuit of her older sister started playing the violin at the age of two and a half. At the age of 3, she made her debut performance in the NCH playing a Bach Minuet and at the age of 9, she was presented with the prestigious award for /Ireland’s Most Promising Violinist/.
Joyce’s true potential and vocal abilities were realised through a wonderful collaboration with singer and teacher, Evelyn Dowling. For as long as they could remember Ruth and Joyce had been performing as a violin duo and it was through the aforementioned collaboration that the siblings began finding new ways to enhance their vocal harmonies together. The beautiful combination of their vocals and violins were to become the essence of the Sephira sound. Sephira’s unique sound can compare to the emotional swells of a movie, sensational, dramatic, and filled with the full sweep of human passions. Throughout the last two years they have been mesmerising audiences with their live performances. As well as their own material their live show includes some very popular cover songs including Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen and Love of my Life by Freddie Mercury, reworked with the distinctive Sephira sound."

Here are the ladies from the CT DVD "Take Me Home"
Zara Curtis (the temptress/dancer) Joyce O'Leary, Nicole Hudson (viola/vocals),
Ruth O'Leary (fiddle) and Megan Sherwood (Cello/vocals)

« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 11:59AM by Maggie » Logged
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 07:40AM »

IMHO the music was good but I thought she was a little stiff in moving across the stage barefoot. I also felt her smile was a little forced. Mairead dances around in heels  and her smile is quite natural.

I didn't notice her makeup but I remember from teh days when I was in the Theater they told us to perform for the person in the back row. That means voice, costume and makeup.

Jim

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
Celtic Lass
Total Fanatic

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2009, 08:47AM »

IMHO the music was good but I thought she was a little stiff in moving across the stage barefoot. I also felt her smile was a little forced. Mairead dances around in heels  and her smile is quite natural.

I think that is what the problem is for me. She seems un-natural. I would rather have her play HER way, not imitating others. If that is how she likes to play then so be it. But she seems to be trying to hard. If she would just play her way, the way she was comfortable, it would be easier to enjoy it.
Maggie
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2009, 12:12PM »

I think that is what the problem is for me. She seems un-natural. I would rather have her play HER way, not imitating others. If that is how she likes to play then so be it. But she seems to be trying to hard. If she would just play her way, the way she was comfortable, it would be easier to enjoy it.

Remember the Producer of this CT Show is Sharon Browne, who was involved in the creation of Celtic Woman.

Maybe the Production Team wanted Ruth to play it "like Máiréad".
She may have preferred to do it her own more natural way, but had no choice.

I think it's a mistake to imitate Máiréad.....there is only one.
When anyone tries, comparison is inevitable.......she makes it difficult for all other Celtic Fiddlers to establish their own style.
But I don't think we should belittle their playing ability.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: