Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guy Guest Star?  (Read 9114 times)
The Leprechaun
Total Fanatic

« on: January 01, 2010, 06:40PM »

I've been thinking about this idea for a while. What if a guy joined as a guest as a main soloist in CW? Would that defeat the purpose of it being called Celtic Woman if there's a guy? I don't know who would be a good suggestion. What do you think?

Celtic Woman: Gotta love them.

Proud sufferer of OCCWD.

The wonderful Susan.

Thanks whoever for the picture.
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 06:45PM »

The entire concert is carefully planned and staged to come in at a certain length.  I'd vote against anything that's going to reduce the time on stage for the 5 featured performers.

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
Iluvcelticwoman
Featured Soloist

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 06:48PM »

yea i agree with rich that would defeat the whole purpose of Celtic Woman!! I wouldnt mind if he joined celtic thunder

SusanZ
CWF Global Moderator
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 07:18PM »

yea i agree with rich that would defeat the whole purpose of Celtic Woman!! I wouldnt mind if he joined celtic thunder

I am sure Celtic Thunder are happy with the five gents they have at present!  Wink

Zee

"We create our tomorrows by what we dream today"
Thanks Hayley for the great banner!!
Cash
Honorary Roadie

carry me...on the waves

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 04:58AM »

The entire concert is carefully planned and staged to come in at a certain length.  I'd vote against anything that's going to reduce the time on stage for the 5 featured performers.
But what if that male's name is OldFatGuy?  Cheesy

I agree they shouldnt do it. They put a male presence in the show with David, Ray, and Nicky, plus the band guys. And that presence is instrumental, so it doesnt compete with the lady's vocals. One thing I didnt care for with Hayley's dvd is her solo with Teddy Tahu Rhodes. Although not 'bad' it wasnt great either. His voice sort of competed with hers, instead of complimenting it. (in my opinion). But I think Russell Watson's voice might go well with Hayley's. Do, it depends.

Plus, one of the many great things about CW is how smart the show is planned out, organized, and balanced. I agree with Rich. Dont mess that up. If it aint broke, dont fix it.

Also, perhaps Celtic Thunder is bringing in Deirdre as a guest, or member, whatever the official status is, because they really need a lady vocalist. I think they are smart to do it. But the situation is much different. Although CT does well, I dont think they have reached CW's success in terms of putting people into seats. They need to try something a bit different to accomplish that, and adding Deirdre is a very smart move.

Home is behind, The world ahead, And there are many paths to tread, Through shadow, To the edge of night, Until the stars are all alight.
Kevin R.I.
Featured Soloist

my two favorite green eyed ladies

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 07:47AM »

Never mess with perfection.......5 CELTIC LADIES = PERFECTION just the way they are.

thanks EVI

Hi Kev, I sneeked into your account as you know, wanted to say: love you!!!!

Love, Evi.
CWPride

LYNN AND LISA ROX MY SOX!!!! :)

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 09:08AM »

Never mess with perfection.......5 CELTIC LADIES = PERFECTION just the way they are.

I completely agree!! In my opinion, they would lose the magic!!! It would just be kinda awkward!!! Know what I mean?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
The Quiet Man

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 11:24AM »

CT doesn't need a lady vocalist any more than CW needs a male one.  That said, I don't see adding a male soloist to the regular lineup.  I DO, however, think it would be interesting for them to "experiment" if there were an event where CW wasn't the only featured act and have a male soloist duet with one of the girls or sing while Mairead plays or do a crossover song like "The Bells of St. Mary's" with the girls.  I think it also goes without saying that if there was an event featuring a number of Celtic/crossover acts including CW that everyone including the ladies should join in the finale.
The Leprechaun
Total Fanatic

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 03:55PM »

CT doesn't need a lady vocalist any more than CW needs a male one.  That said, I don't see adding a male soloist to the regular lineup.  I DO, however, think it would be interesting for them to "experiment" if there were an event where CW wasn't the only featured act and have a male soloist duet with one of the girls or sing while Mairead plays or do a crossover song like "The Bells of St. Mary's" with the girls.  I think it also goes without saying that if there was an event featuring a number of Celtic/crossover acts including CW that everyone including the ladies should join in the finale.

Are you talking about Celtic Woman and Celtic Thunder getting together for Celtic Storm? That would be very interesting. Also, you must not check the Deidre subforum if you don't know that she is joining CT. So, be careful what you say. Besides, this was just a suggestion. I wasn't even sure it was that good. Now I know.

Celtic Woman: Gotta love them.

Proud sufferer of OCCWD.

The wonderful Susan.

Thanks whoever for the picture.
barb kantartzis
Total Fanatic

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 05:40PM »

I am sure Celtic Thunder are happy with the five gents they have at present!  Wink

Zee
 I love both groups too!  neil madkes a great addition to the guys!  and deidre got to be a guest on their new show!  She did good!  I think she was on the promo youtbe video doing jesse james!  And as for celtic woman I like have they have it even when they had hayley and diedre w/ them! And i wouldn't think they would allow a guy in the group though!  except the high kings and they were seperate!

I I I I hear your voice on the wind, and I I I I hear you call out my name, listen my child you say to me I am the voice of your history be not afraid come follow me answer my call and i'll set you frrreeeee!!!!!!!
howard

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 06:24PM »

hmmm...don't know about this.
But, I just can't imagine Charlie Daniels doing the 'Contradiction' with Ray & Nicky...
but worse yet being called 'Tinkerbell', or pixie, or a fairy and trying to fly around on the stage.  Shocked
Wondering if pixie dust would work on Charlie  Huh  Roll Eyes  Wink  Cheesy
Howard
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 06:27PM by howard » Logged
hesprit
Total Fanatic

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 08:30AM »

There is a reason the group is called "Celtic Woman."  I don't remember where it was I read it, but early in my time after discovering CW, I read about the original concept and it came from the fact there had been a number of Celtic style musical groups over the years, but never one that featured only women as the primaries (not including band/choir, etc.).  Adding a male guest star into the mix would change the dynamic of a fantastic, and quite successful, group.

Even overlooking that thought itself, I would imagine the idea would not be an easy one.  I'm not sure if the suggestion is for an entire tour or for just a limited number of shows, but either way, it would involve a number of changes.  Any current songs which added the guest star into the performance would need to be re-written or re-arranged to allow for the change, which would then mean being re-learned and rehearsed.  If this were done for a short portion of a tour, it would risk mistakes being made due to the girls, in particular, having needed to adjust and actually having two versions of a song in their minds.  For an example, remember the taping of the "Skate for the Heart" special that CW performed for?  We didn't see it on the show, but members who attended told us about them needing to re-tape one performance because of a change in songs.

Do I believe that it could be done, and successfully?  Of course I do, I have no doubt David and the girls could accomplish anything they set their minds to.  Do I believe it should be done?  Personally, no, I don't.  I'm just not sure that it would add anything to the show.  We have already seen where a male voice was needed and they allowed a member of the choir to "fill in" (Dulamon) for the small part and that worked out quite well.  I just don't see any reason for adding in a male voice into the all female mix, unless it were be to copy what Celtic Thunder has already done by including Deidre.  I don't believe that is a valid enough reason to do so.  (And for the record, this is NOT anything against Celtic Thunder, and especially not against Deidre!  They are quite good as a group, although I admit I don't follow them nearly as I do CW.  I just don't think it would work as well in this case.)
Inga
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 11:16AM »

and deidre got to be a guest on their new show!  She did good!  I think she was on the promo youtbe video doing jesse james! 

Which video?
barb kantartzis
Total Fanatic

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 11:59AM »

and deidre got to be a guest on their new show!  She did good!  I think she was on the promo youtbe video doing jesse james! 

Which video?

I am not sure how to post a you tube vidoe I might give it a try though. But, If you type in celtic thunder it's entertainment it is like  a 6 -8 min promo of there new pbs show. (just like cw's songs from the heart one). It is the one part were the guys is like (comedy) and it has damian and keith w/ deidre (I think its her, t looks like her and she was in the taping) it was just a little part though they showed. she was singing jesse james!  (tonight your going to go down in flames ... Just like jesse james and pointed at them?!) I am not sure if it is her it probably is and I will try to post the you tube link but i am not to sure how!

I I I I hear your voice on the wind, and I I I I hear you call out my name, listen my child you say to me I am the voice of your history be not afraid come follow me answer my call and i'll set you frrreeeee!!!!!!!
barb kantartzis
Total Fanatic

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 12:02PM »

Which video?

I am not sure how to post a you tube vidoe I might give it a try though. But, If you type in celtic thunder it's entertainment it is like  a 6 -8 min promo of there new pbs show. (just like cw's songs from the heart one). It is the one part were the guys is like (comedy) and it has damian and keith w/ deidre (I think its her, t looks like her and she was in the taping) it was just a little part though they showed. she was singing jesse james!  (tonight your going to go down in flames ... Just like jesse james and pointed at them?!) I am not sure if it is her it probably is and I will try to post the you tube link but i am not to sure how!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MZKlae41aA

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: