Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CW CD Signing in NYC!  (Read 50510 times)
Kelli
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2010, 09:25PM »

Initially I had a similar thought, Emily, but at least we have the option of shows and M&Gs in other parts of the US.  If I lived in Europe or any place else, I'd feel even more left out...

Visit Órla's Garden, a fansite for Órla Fallon!

What's important often does not stand out but is simply standing quietly.   :  Noah benShe
The Quiet Man

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2010, 09:36PM »

Actually NYC isn't getting all 5 ladies at the M&G this time out, supposedly, so this is the one chance this tour.  NYC is considered special, I suppose, since it is this nation's largest and most cosmopolitan city, and frankly, something like this needs to be done where it's going to attract the most attention and attendance.  Boston, Providence, and other NE cities with large Irish populations would all be good choices too. 

OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2010, 09:51PM »

Why don't we all wait and see if they have any other surprises up their sleeves before we start complaining?

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
Iluvcelticwoman
Featured Soloist

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2010, 10:39PM »

hmm rich is right!

lisalover7 (LL7)
Bodhrán Player

"I begged and I begged and I begged and I begged"

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2010, 11:17PM »

a signing right here in San Diego? oh please!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cheesy They say they love it here but im sure they say that about every place they visit but hey we have Sea World!

Let Me Tell You That I Love You...
Cash
Honorary Roadie

carry me...on the waves

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2010, 11:31PM »

They aren't just coming over for the signing, they're coming over for the start of the tour.  They do need to get some rehersal time in because it's a new tour.
That thought ran throuth my mind too. But I would think its cheaper to do it in Ireland than here. They would need to rent a hall to rehearse, plus hotel rooms for everyone. But, I cant say for sure. It would be very interesting to review their expenses and see the business end of it all. Of course though I am probably the only person who thinks that stuff is actually interesting.  Cheesy

Forgive me for raining on the parade, but isn't kind of unfair to do it in NYC? The past few years NYC has gotten all 5 girls at the M&G ANYWAY, so wouldn't it be nice for another city to get a signing (e.g. Baton Rouge in December of '08) since most of us will never get all 5 girls at a M&G?
NYC is considered special, I suppose, since it is this nation's largest and most cosmopolitan city, and frankly, something like this needs to be done where it's going to attract the most attention and attendance.  
I dont think your point is rain on any parade, its a good point. But I agree with Quiet Man  Shocked  I would guess its about the number of people they can get to attend the event. Another interesting statistic would be how many people attended Baton Rouge vs how many attended NY's signings. Also, I wonder how much Borders pays for all this. If they pay anything? Again, business info we dont know and likely wont find out.

And on the topic of Borders..
I'm in.  Anyone else?

Update: Spoke to Bill at Borders.  They will only be signing SFTH CDs and DVDs, and they have to be bought in Borders.  You can buy them in another Borders, BUT you have to produce the receipt to get them signed.  If you are coming from work, you MIGHT want to get them the night before and SAVE YOUR RECEIPT.
I got the crazy idea of going, and it appears it would only cost $100 round trip for transportation. But I would prefer getting pics and a program signed, even if thats very limited in number (would have to be to keep line moving)  from the ladies I dont have autographs yet. If I could get that, I think it would be well worth it. But I see and respect Borders side of this too. They pay the bill for this, they should be able to make some sales.

Why don't we all wait and see if they have any other surprises up their sleeves before we start complaining?
Lets hope so! I know way back they did do a signing here in Pittsburgh , but it was north of town at a mall I had never been to. (Turns out its fairly easy to get to). But I found out kind of late, plus that was in my 'discovery' phase, before I became totally nuts about them, so at the time I wasnt chasing after autographs, pics, etc, like I do now.

Home is behind, The world ahead, And there are many paths to tread, Through shadow, To the edge of night, Until the stars are all alight.
YoungTwins

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2010, 11:37PM »

a signing right here in San Diego? oh please!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cheesy They say they love it here but im sure they say that about every place they visit but hey we have Sea World!

Haha wouldn't that be awesome! I wish that would happen!!!!!

Patiently waiting for CW to return to the West Coast Smiley
Iluvcelticwoman
Featured Soloist

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2010, 11:57PM »

that would be amazing!!!

OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2010, 07:08AM »

Signings are often announced just days before the event.  I missed one in Chicago because it was announced after I had made my travel plans.  Just keep an eye on their web site for news.  If we hear anything, we'll certainly let you know.

o/t - some of the girls are already in the States, and the rest will be arriving soon.  Once they all get here, they'll be staying until the end of this tour.

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
Emily!
Honorary Roadie

Mission Accomplished :)

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2010, 08:29AM »

Initially I had a similar thought, Emily, but at least we have the option of shows and M&Gs in other parts of the US.  If I lived in Europe or any place else, I'd feel even more left out...

That's true, but it's just cool that at a signing you get all 5 and you can take pics and stuff usually.

Sorry Rich, it just kind of annoys me.

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart."
bobh56
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2010, 08:38AM »

I live in the Washington, DC area.  Ordinarilly, wouldn't think twice about making the 5 hour drive to attend an event as momentous as this.  Unfortunately, on the 27th, I'll be way across the country in San Francisco.  So, I'll have to take a pass.

Ganconagh

Resistance is futile

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2010, 05:32PM »

So, I guess they won't be attending the Irish Music Awards ceremony.

"Face piles of trials with smiles.  It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free."
Palmie00

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2010, 08:44PM »

I'll be there! Smiley Smiley

JEdwards
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2010, 08:48PM »

That's true, but it's just cool that at a signing you get all 5 and you can take pics and stuff usually.

I've no wish to quibble over piffling little details, but at the 2007 signing I attended there were only  three members there (Meav, Mairead, and Chloe). Probably just as well --I don't think I could have handled the excitement of all five gathered in one place before me anyway. As I recall, I could barely handle the excitement of a mere three.  Wink

However, your point is very well taken: These are wonderful, relaxed, informal events in which the ladies' shine like the true gems they are. Better yet, for the budget-conscious among us (and who's not these days?) they don't cost a penny. I've been to a signing and two M&G's, and I'll take the signing any day of the week and twice on Sunday. It's regrettable, but understandable, that they can't do more. I just number myself lucky and blessed that then, and now, I am so geographically situated that I can go.  I drove five hours to see them in Chicago. If you are within a similar driving distance, I'd give the matter some serious thought. I think you'll find 'em worth the trip. Cheesy
John910

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2010, 11:57PM »

How about a signing in the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area of Pennsylvania? Please

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: