Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Music of Ireland--Welcome Home  (Read 32478 times)
Kelli
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2010, 03:17PM »

Click here for the facebook page.  On the left hand side, about half way down is the Music Player.  Click on "Forgotten"...a duet from our beloved Órla and Moya Brennan!!  Oh, I am sooo excited to hear the song in it's entirety!!! Grin Grin Grin

Visit Órla's Garden, a fansite for Órla Fallon!

What's important often does not stand out but is simply standing quietly.   :  Noah benShe
SusanZ
CWF Global Moderator
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2010, 03:57PM »

They sound SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO awesome together!! Looking forward to that CD and "Forgotten" !!

Zee

"We create our tomorrows by what we dream today"
Thanks Hayley for the great banner!!
Iluvcelticwoman
Featured Soloist

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2010, 08:10PM »

They sound SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO awesome together!! Looking forward to that CD and "Forgotten" !!

Zee

i totally agree with yooooooooooou!!!!!!!!!!

Kelli
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2010, 10:31PM »

Here is a fantastic article, complete with a photo of Órla, Denny, and Moya!!  Love it!

http://www.cleveland.com/tv-blog/index.ssf/2010/02/cleveland_heights_denny_young_produces_pbs_special_on_irish_music.html

What's important often does not stand out but is simply standing quietly.   :  Noah benShe
SusanZ
CWF Global Moderator
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2010, 09:27AM »

Thanks for the link, Kelli! What a great article and a fantastic picture of the three of them. Denny is flanked by two very lovely and talented Irish lasses. Now if that isn't lucky, I don't know what is!!  Wink Grin

Zee

Kelli
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2010, 08:22PM »

Denny sent me this bit of information on the special last night:

"MUSIC OF IRELAND – Welcome Home is a two-part music television special celebrating 50 years of contemporary Irish music.  Part One – as seen on Public Television during the month of March – features intimate performances and exclusive interviews from many of the greatest Irish artists of our time including: The Chieftains, The Clancy Brothers, U2, The Dubliners, Riverdance, Bob Geldof, Ronan Tynan, Sinead O’Connor and many others.  The full-length companion CD release features newly recorded material by Sinead O’Connor, The Chieftains, Moya Brennan, Damien Rice, Anuna, Liam Clancy, Glen Hansard, Shane MacGowan, Orla Fallon and others."

SusanZ
CWF Global Moderator
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2010, 07:55PM »

"MUSIC OF IRELAND – Welcome Home is a two-part music television special celebrating 50 years of contemporary Irish music.  Part One – as seen on Public Television during the month of March – features intimate performances and exclusive interviews from many of the greatest Irish artists of our time including: The Chieftains, The Clancy Brothers, U2, The Dubliners, Riverdance, Bob Geldof, Ronan Tynan, Sinead O’Connor and many others.  The full-length companion CD release features newly recorded material by Sinead O’Connor, The Chieftains, Moya Brennan, Damien Rice, Anuna, Liam Clancy, Glen Hansard, Shane MacGowan, Orla Fallon and others."

First of all, thanks to Denny for keeping us in the loop. Secondly, I guess I will be making room on my shelf for the DVD and CD - sounds like a "must have" for the collection!

Zee

lifeismusic2009
Total Fanatic

<3

« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2010, 08:03PM »

First of all, thanks to Denny for keeping us in the loop. Secondly, I guess I will be making room on my shelf for the DVD and CD - sounds like a "must have" for the collection!

Zee

Denny rocks! lol! And I agree Zee, this sounds like a necessary addition to my collection!

Thanks, Dayna, for my awesome banners!
Kelli
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2010, 08:14PM »

I already pre-ordered mine!  Cheesy Grin  For those interested, there are links on the Discography page of my fansite to order them.

CelticCate

« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2010, 08:54PM »

has anyone had any luck in finding this on their pbs stations?  I've searched every schedule on both the pba and the gpb sites and can find absolutely nothing on it, ditto for when I do a tv search for upcoming shows. Huh  I really want to see this, but it doesn't seem like it is going to be airing  Cry

IMG_1373.JPG
MikeyK
Honorary Roadie

Proud Chloëver

« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2010, 12:28AM »

has anyone had any luck in finding this on their pbs stations?  I've searched every schedule on both the pba and the gpb sites and can find absolutely nothing on it, ditto for when I do a tv search for upcoming shows. Huh  I really want to see this, but it doesn't seem like it is going to be airing  Cry
KOCE has 2 showings next week. Have you tried tvguide.com?
Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2010, 12:32AM »

Oregon PBS - Sunday, March 7th, 10 pm.
worldtraveler

« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2010, 08:21PM »

All of this info is getting me so excited to see the special!  Just about a week until it comes to my local PBS station!
aislin
Administrator
Total Fanatic

« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2010, 09:15PM »

I ran out today and grabbed the CD/DVD combo from B&N. The DVD has some REALLY nifty stuff on it! Seeing the Clancys singing the Little Beggar Man was fantastic and gave me a much clearer picture of all the history behind The High Kings. And there is a ton of just music. Everything from old black & white video of the Chieftains to school groups to people playing at a local pub it really gives a good history of the rise of Irish music. However, hearing Órlagh talk while someone else is signing Harry's Game is just a tad disconcerting... even if it is Moya Brennan.

Now for the bad news, at least for CW fans, Órlagh's on screen for about 5 seconds though she talks for about 10. And while Máiréad is in the opening... she doesn't actually appear anywhere in the show itself. I went through it twice just to be sure because that doesn't make any sense but she's nowhere to be found. I'd imagine that the footage we're seeing is from the second part of the special that is supposed to feature CW.

aislin
Maggie
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2010, 01:58AM »

.....However, hearing Órlagh talk while someone else is signing Harry's Game is just a tad disconcerting... even if it is Moya Brennan.
Moya Brennan could say the same about Órlagh, as it was Moya's song from the start in 1982, as part of the group Clannad.
The TV mini-series "Harry's Game" about the troubles in Northern Ireland, was made by my old employer - Yorkshire Television.
They used Clannad and Moya's hauntingly beautiful voice for the Theme song, so it was she who made this song famous throughout Europe.  It won the Ivor Novello Award, and was nominated for a BAFTA,
the first song in Irish to achieve that distinction.
Moya was known at that time by her real name Máire, it was changed to the phonetic spelling later.
Ten years later in 1992, the song finally came to the USA and went to the top of the Billboard Charts.

Here is the original single cover from 28 years ago:

Now for the bad news, at least for CW fans, Órlagh's on screen for about 5 seconds though she talks for about 10. And while Máiréad is in the opening... she doesn't actually appear anywhere in the show itself. I went through it twice just to be sure because that doesn't make any sense but she's nowhere to be found. I'd imagine that the footage we're seeing is from the second part of the special that is supposed to feature CW.

Yes Celtic Woman will be on the second DVD in September / October.

Quote from http://www.wliw.org/productions//performance/more-about-music-of-ireland/648/
"A sequel to Music of Ireland – Welcome Home is planned for late 2010 spotlighting more recent artists including U2,
Celtic Woman, The Cranberries, The Corrs, The Irish Tenors, and singer/songwriters like Glen Hansard and Damien Rice, as well as the rise of Irish music festivals and the use of Irish music in film and television. For more information, visit musicofireland.com

I watched the DVD last night. Tremendous music and performers, but for me there were no surprises.
I grew up immersed in this kind of music (except U2 of course) my Dad and my uncles were singing songs
which the Clancy Brothers later sang, when the Clancys were in diapers.
Traditional music has been played and sung by families in Irish homes through the ages.....it is ingrained in the spirit.
It is how Irish people express their joys, sorrows, fears, triumphs.....every emotion. It is heard at every celebration....baptisms, confirmations, weddings, and of course wakes.
It's very competitive as well, you have to work your way up through the fleadheanna ceoil (music festivals)
winning medals so you can enter the next stage. To be an All-Ireland Champion like Máiréad is quite an achievement.

I was a young lass when I first heard the Chieftains and the Clancy's, about the same time in the early 1960s.
I have accumulated most of their albums / CDs.
I was in Tipperary in the mid 1960s and there was somebody going to Carrick-on-Suir to a pub session.
I was offered a ride with them, and was delighted to see the Clancy Brothers singing in the Pub, they were
home from the USA for a holiday. Most of the Music in Ireland is played just for the love of music.
Just as their National GAA Sports are played for the love of sport, not for financial gain.

The problem is that Irish people take their music for granted......until they see what an impact it can have
on the rest of the World. I think that's why the ladies of CW always say they are amazed by the reaction of audiences in the US. Plus it gives people like me a new appreciation of our musical heritage.

Here is the introduction to "Music of Ireland - Welcome Home" There are several sections:
http://www.wliw.org/productions//performance/music-of-ireland-%E2%80%93-welcome-home/637/

Here's the PBS Schedule for each State:
http://www.musicofireland.com/Broadcast/tabid/689/Default.aspx

« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 02:19AM by Maggie » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: