Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what has happened to the new dvd?  (Read 8376 times)
the minstrel

« on: February 22, 2010, 09:54AM »

Hi all, i have just joined the forums here as i have a burning question that i would like an answer too if possible, i live in the u.k and we are still waiting for a european release for the dvd, now i read somewhere on here a statement that it would be released on 26th jan and still it is nowhere to be seen, are we again being left out in the cold with regard to celtic woman products?

thanks in advance

dave
shankdee
Honorary Roadie

"We were all talking about you" said Lisa Kelly

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 10:00AM »

Cheesy Howard usually ans this type question, I hope he sees it soon...don't blame you for wanting to see it, and trying to
     figure out where it should be in stores, etc.

W E L C O M E  to the Forum, Dave....There is a thread called NEW members...where you can post a little about yourself
  and receive a warm welcome from many...

shankdee ( Japan) I ordered mine from AMAZon...

Thanks For my Beautiful Deirdre Banner...GodsHorseGirl* * *
Maggie
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 11:02AM »

Hi all, i have just joined the forums here as i have a burning question that i would like an answer too if possible, i live in the u.k and we are still waiting for a european release for the dvd, now i read somewhere on here a statement that it would be released on 26th jan and still it is nowhere to be seen, are we again being left out in the cold with regard to celtic woman products?
thanks in advance
dave

Dave, Welcome to the CW Forum, I hope you will stay around, we have some great members from all over the Planet.

I know what you mean. My family are all in the UK and Ireland, and I order a lot of stuff for them.
DVDs have to be region 2......Amazon UK and www.eBay.ie  only have region 1 USA.
If I were you I would write to CW Ltd in Dublin, or call their office. Contact details are elsewhere in the Forum.

the minstrel

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 12:01PM »

sorry i didn't realise that i should not have posted it here, thanks for your reply's, just getting a bit annoyed that the r2 dvd is not available, i mean how long are we supposed to wait what is the problem?

i thought the release date of 26th jan was from an official source, what this says to me is that nowhere but the american market matters to cw.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 01:10PM by aislin » Logged
Cash
Honorary Roadie

carry me...on the waves

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 12:06PM »

I wouldnt be so quick as to blame CW. I have heard of other problems with international music sales. For example, The Mediaeval Baebes had a lot of pre-sales for one of their CDs a few years back, but something went wrong and I believe we Americans were the ones who got delayed, but European orders went as planned.

Home is behind, The world ahead, And there are many paths to tread, Through shadow, To the edge of night, Until the stars are all alight.
MaryNorth93
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 12:06PM »

sorry i didn't realise that i should not have posted it here, thanks for your reply's, just getting a bit annoyed that the r2 dvd is not available, i mean how long are we supposed to wait what is the problem?

i thought the release date of 26th jan was from an official source, what this says to me is that nowhere but the american market matters to cw.

Dave, as an European fan too, I really understand your annoyance. CW does not tour here, neither their discography is easy to get. But keeping discussions why makes just not any sence, they're the most popular in America, so that's the way for them to get money. I don't like it either...

However, I found a while ago a site where you can order as a non-American CW's merchandise  Grin Here a link to the dvd and cd, the dvd is region free, so you'll dvd-player will propably read it and it's quite cheap. One thing, you'll probably have to wait quite some time... It took more than a month before my cd arrived here..  Shocked However, buy and enjoy:

DVD: http://www.cdwow.com/DVD/celtic-woman-songs-from-the-heart/dp/7007549#bc=82a6

CD: http://www.cdwow.com/CD/celtic-woman-songs-from-the-heart/dp/6898403#bc=c007
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 01:10PM by aislin » Logged
bot1tle
Total Fanatic

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 01:27PM »

Dave your post is fine right were it is and very appropriate..... what carla meant was your being a new member, you can introduce yourself to the forum in the New Member thread....
aislin
Administrator
Total Fanatic

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 01:40PM »

Ok, a few facts here.

An article was recently published wherein it said CW will tour Europe early next year. It makes sense, from a marketing perspective, not to release the new album until it's closer to tour time. Conversely, TGJ was released in Germany long before it was released in the US because CW was on tour there at the time.

As to CW being an Irish organization but not publishing there... there's really not a demand for it. If you look at the MAJOR success The High Kings have had in Ireland you'll see that CW Ltd. (who are the same people that run THK) has no problem publishing in Ireland. CW just isn't popular enough for it to be a profitable venture for them.

The amount of exposure that CW receives on US TV has a bit of a story with it. CW is broadcast solely on PBS in America. PBS is funded by both the government and public donations and PBS openly acknowledges that one of their biggest fundraisers by far are the Celtic Woman concerts. So they air them allll the time. Which is, oddly enough, one of the most common complaints we see about them, that they're on TV too much. This isn't really CW's call, it's up to the local PBSs as to how often they show the concerts. Would CW Ltd. be amenable to selling their shows to other stations in other countries? I don't see why not.

If you look at other Irish touring shows, Lord of the Dance & Riverdance, you'll see that they have 2 or more troupes that are on tour at any given time all over the world and CW just can't operate like that. So they're in demand everywhere, but they can only tour so much. If you look at it from another perspective, many of us found out about Hayley Westenra through her association with CW but she has never returned to the US to tour, much to our eternal sadness. Again, people can only do so much. And yes, it is easier for CW to tour the US. They know they'll make a profit and that they can hit many venues without having to travel long distances between shows as well as sell out several shows at the same venue.

Lastly, this is a CW fan forum. While we don't mind the occasional criticism or critique of CW, we do take issues with out right attacks on CW Ltd. This is just not the place for it and it's against our forum's rules. If you have a problem with CW, e-mail them, info@celticwoman.com, and let them know.

aislin
Emily!
Honorary Roadie

Mission Accomplished :)

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 03:56PM »

And yes, it is easier for CW to tour the US. They know they'll make a profit and that they can hit many venues without having to travel long distances between shows as well as sell out several shows at the same venue.

Exactly.

They are commercially successful in the United States. They can't just pick and choose to go wherever they want to just because it's a nice country or they have a few fans. They can only tour somewhere where they can be sure they will make a profit and it will be successful, otherwise they are basically wasting money. This is a business.

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart."
Starman
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 06:08PM »

Aislin makes some very good points which are right on in virtually all respects.  If it's any consolation to those who don't get much chance to see Celtic Woman, it was not until the advent of modern mass transportation in the 20th century that the majority of the continent, outside the major east coast cities, ever got to see major acts of any sort.  While Leopold Mozart was touring Europe with young Wolfgang, America was dealing with wolf gangs of a different sort!  Tongue 

Please don't begrudge us our recent days of good fortune!  We promise to take good care of them while they are here!  Smiley

MaryNorth93
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 06:48AM »

Well, Aislin is surely right and I have peace with it all... But... isn't it true CW does not promote themselve in Europe?   Smiley A big part of Europe just have never heard of them. I'm not saying that have to promote themselve, but if they did there would be surely a great demand. The most of you have probably found them by PBS.

That the last thing I'll say about it, and please don't feel offended, I have no intentions to attack the American fan base or CW & the staff.

Anyway, after my exams are passed I'm planning to take the plane and fly to America for a concert. If the ladies won't come to me, I'll come to them  Grin Woohoo  Grin
the minstrel

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 07:36AM »

Hi all, i have recieved a reply from CW by email so here it is:

Hi

Thank you for your email and greetings from Ireland on a very cold Monday evening  in  Dublin.

In reply to your query, a European release date will be announced shortly for the "Songs from the Heart" DVD. It will be posted on the web site www.celticwoman.com and mentioned in the e mail newsletter

-------------------------------------

it still puzzles me as to why it has taken so long just to edit the footage and format a pal version, once again this comes down to marketing in the EU, why is it that CW clearly do not market celtic woman in europe, the only reason that can be taken is that the american market is now such an easy way to make the income and they know that it will be there year in and year out, they make the dvd's in ireland using irish grandour to show off irish culture and seem reluctant to market the product on their own soil, it's thanks to the big following in the states that is contributing to CW not having to bother with other continents.

CW you have lost my purchase now, so your european dvd release is insignificant to me, congrats on losing a sale and i am sure plenty of other EU customers who would have paid have now taken the only option that i had to take.

dissapointed...uk
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 08:02AM by aislin » Logged
aislin
Administrator
Total Fanatic

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 08:00AM »

Well, Aislin is surely right and I have peace with it all... But... isn't it true CW does not promote themselve in Europe?   Smiley A big part of Europe just have never heard of them. I'm not saying that have to promote themselve, but if they did there would be surely a great demand. The most of you have probably found them by PBS.

That the last thing I'll say about it, and please don't feel offended, I have no intentions to attack the American fan base or CW & the staff.

Anyway, after my exams are passed I'm planning to take the plane and fly to America for a concert. If the ladies won't come to me, I'll come to them  Grin Woohoo  Grin

Mary,

Nah, no offense taken. I totally see what you're getting at. To that extent, in the beginning CW didn't really publicize themselves in the US except through PBS. And all of that feeds back into the fact that it was supposed to be a one time performance... till the US audience went CW crazy. Now, of course, they do lots of interviews and make the morning talk show circuit especially around St. Patrick's Day, but almost all of that occurs during the tours. Not a lot of CW interviews and articles pop up during the summer when the girls are at home. I'm sure that as they get closer to both the DVD release in Europe and the tour they'll do more of that in your part of the world.

aislin
The Quiet Man

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 08:26AM »

Not to dredge up bad memories, but CW tried to put on a UK tour in 2007 and, well, it had to be cancelled.  I honestly don't know the reasons why, and I don't think we should speculate.  That said, I believe that CW are probably approaching the EU market in a conservative, measured manner.  A friend of mine from Wales said that Irish music doesn't sell well in the UK.  I'm not sure if that's the case, but, given the, ahem, thorny history between the UK and Ireland it would not surprise me if there were a fair amount of UK people who dislike the Irish and their traditions.

I do hope this can become a reality, but the fact is that CW sell best in the US and Japan, and that's where they have to put their efforts.  A ton of other crossover acts: All Angels, Katherine Jenkins, Blake, and regrettably, Hayley on her own, to name a few, are very big in the UK, but just can't crack the US, and no one can really say why.

I also have to add that not purchasing the DVD you want because you are getting impatient is cutting off your nose to spite your face, and I hope the EU folks won't let their anger rule their actions.         
the minstrel

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 08:56AM »

Not to dredge up bad memories, but CW tried to put on a UK tour in 2007 and, well, it had to be cancelled.  I honestly don't know the reasons why, and I don't think we should speculate.  That said, I believe that CW are probably approaching the EU market in a conservative, measured manner.  A friend of mine from Wales said that Irish music doesn't sell well in the UK.  I'm not sure if that's the case, but, given the, ahem, thorny history between the UK and Ireland it would not surprise me if there were a fair amount of UK people who dislike the Irish and their traditions.

I do hope this can become a reality, but the fact is that CW sell best in the US and Japan, and that's where they have to put their efforts.  A ton of other crossover acts: All Angels, Katherine Jenkins, Blake, and regrettably, Hayley on her own, to name a few, are very big in the UK, but just can't crack the US, and no one can really say why.

I also have to add that not purchasing the DVD you want because you are getting impatient is cutting off your nose to spite your face, and I hope the EU folks won't let their anger rule their actions.         

i agree with most of your points you make, but here is my argument, when say an artist releases in the uk there is always an extensive advertising campaign even for no name artists, but with cw there has not been 1 advert in the uk not 1, no advertising no tv appearances no airplay nothing so is it any wonder that the europe tour went down like a lead balloon when no one even knew this event was taking place, how stupid is that. if they were pushed here as much as in the states i am sure there would be a big following too, as i say it has now become just too easy to ignore us and concentrate on the u.s, but cw seem reluctant to give any answers to why they are ignoring other countries.

and the point about cutting noses to despite faces, seems wrong as the pbs has more songs than the download and is also in HD so why would i pay for a lower quality product with less content apart from the special features.

this live was recorded in HD so why release it on dvd and not blu ray, another stupid decision.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: