Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Boston Globe Article  (Read 6763 times)
Emily!
Honorary Roadie

Mission Accomplished :)

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2010, 05:59PM »

You make a good point, Mary N., but I think when it comes down to it this is more than just friends sharing opinions about music. This is an article in a major newspaper, so it will have an effect on people who maybe weren't sure if they wanted to come and see the show. You really want the press to be positive about the show. We fans will always buy the tickets because we know we love what we see, but there maybe those who are on the fence about whether or not they want to shell out the money for a ticket, and it could be that after reading that nasty article they won't even give the girls a chance.

Music is very subjective, absolutely, but in the end you want the press about your show to be positive.

That being said, I couldn't care less what this guy thinks. I'm so excited for my shows and I know already I'm going to love them.  Grin Grin Grin

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart."
Tiffany Gray
Honorary Roadie

I love Celtic Woman and soft sweaters.

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2010, 07:17PM »

You make a good point, Mary N., but I think when it comes down to it this is more than just friends sharing opinions about music. This is an article in a major newspaper, so it will have an effect on people who maybe weren't sure if they wanted to come and see the show. You really want the press to be positive about the show. We fans will always buy the tickets because we know we love what we see, but there maybe those who are on the fence about whether or not they want to shell out the money for a ticket, and it could be that after reading that nasty article they won't even give the girls a chance.

Music is very subjective, absolutely, but in the end you want the press about your show to be positive.

That being said, I couldn't care less what this guy thinks. I'm so excited for my shows and I know already I'm going to love them.  Grin Grin Grin

I agree with you Emily.  I hope this article doesn't have that big of an impact as we think it may but you really never know.

Irish CW Fan
Total Fanatic

Paint With All the Colors of the Wind...

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2010, 07:56PM »

Very very good point Emily.

Bluefire
Total Fanatic

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2010, 09:01PM »

We are fans, sure, but does that mean we have to kill everyone who isn't?

It's how we equal a show, how we feels music. We're all different, enjoy that. Once visited with a friend because of his birthday a heavy metal concert, and hated it.. found it noisy and ridiculous. He was shocked by hearing that, he found it passionate. He finds Celtic Woman incredible mawkish. I find Celtic Woman stunning. Why would I care about the fact he doesn't like them?  Cheesy

Very true, MaryN.  I run into something similar with friends of mine.  Most of them agree that the CW music is nice, but maybe not what they'd buy tickets for (I have a tendency to show people the DVDs *sheepish look*).  A couple others do not care for them at all, and have types of music they are passionate about that I do not care for.  My usual show buddy won't come to CW concerts with me because of this (I've mentioned him before... I think he just doesn't like softer music; I've seen this trend in which songs make him change the radio station in the car).  It works out though... I share a bit of music with others and ask if they'd like to come.  I have one friend who went last year that's coming again this year, and another who really liked what I sent him and is coming to his first show.

I personally don't think this article will drive people away.  If anything, it will make them curious, simply because of how oddly the review is written.  "This show is too perfect, you say?  You describe portions as achingly sweet and breathlessly dramatic, yet say it lacks soul?  I wonder what other reviewers have said..."  That's my hope, at least... and usually the response I have to reviews like this.

And if I'm flying solo, at least I'm flying free!
Cash
Honorary Roadie

carry me...on the waves

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2010, 12:52AM »

First, let me say a few words in defense of this guy. Any critic has to justify his/her job. A critic cant just say "It was great, I loved it" They HAVE to say something. Now, what will that something be? Well it has to be something that the editors agree with. Plus editor #1 may thing point X is good, but some supervising editor might think point Y should be stressed. One can pull whats left of one's hair out dealing with different editors. Plus there are space constraints, so who knows what got cut out or condensed. Perhaps thats why this thing seems so odd and contradictory.

But, having said that. As Dr Phil might say "Are you kidding me?" Criticism for being too good? Did I read this right? Hey if I want to see and hear a sloppy mess with no musical talent sing, I'll look in the mirror!  I dont have to pay or travel for that. They achieve success by looking AND sounding great. You cant hold it against them that they are good at what they are supposed to do.

Lack of soul? CW? Come on. Their music stirs emotion, makes people think, inspires those who need inspiration.

The most important thing to consider - people find CW's music and show inspirational and fun, while at the same time no laws are violated and no harm gets done. 

Home is behind, The world ahead, And there are many paths to tread, Through shadow, To the edge of night, Until the stars are all alight.
MaryNorth93
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2010, 01:25AM »

That's surely true, but it would be quite impossible to have all the press completely positive. Like Cash said, they have to say more and must have arguments for their opinion. He has a very complimentating side in his article, I liked the way how he described Anthony for example. I don't think it will drive people away, they'll more visit it because of curiosity as Bluefire mentioned, or might be amplified in their convinction CW isn't a good show.

The ladies have lots of fans, and it's up to CW ltd. how to get people to the show, what we can only do is supporting them and taking new possible fans with us   Grin

But I agree it's bit ridiculous to call CW too perfect. The ironic thing is, if it would have been a show with, less, or even bad quality in music the reviewer would have said that they should fix their music quality.. well, people don't know what they want sometimes  Cheesy

shankdee
Honorary Roadie

"We were all talking about you" said Lisa Kelly

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2010, 03:35AM »

Cheesy  Well, then I don't think I want to read it either...I just finished a reveiwer's work on "Alice In Wonderland"
      and I happened to agree with him or her...the review said it had no "heart" and was a Corporate...Computer
      made movie..lackluster even....most of the time I don't agree with reviewers...sometimes I read them BEFORE and
      sometimes AFTER.....it seems a shame almost all the costumes, make-up and fine acting by Tim Burton's wife
      Helen Bonham Carter and Johnny Depp must have cost a bundle, so couldn't they have done a better job?

And we all know about the Denver Post Fiasco...even said Mairead was a male fiddler...didn't even publish anything
      about their final concert in July!!...Once I attended a play where the Sports editor was sent to reveiw the play.
      He knew nothing about theater...and wrote a terrible review of a rather enjoyable, sparkling amateur theater
      evening. I wrote a Letter to the ED piece...and the Editor of the NEWSPAPER replied to MY Letter and said
      "If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen"...I probably won't read this review you all are talking about
       if a person, reviewer, or family member, or neighbor does not UNDERSTAND, or APPRECIATE  the C W phenomenon
       no amount of explanation will change their minds... Bob Dylan said "A man hears what he wants to hear
       and disregarrds the rest"..It is something that has to grab you internally, and it is all about music,
       the language of the heart...( some people like to think they are above emotion-are sophisticated)
       These singers under David's hand have just found a way to be better than just good or entertaining...
       and Mairead Nesbitt is a miracle  unto herself...you can write pages and pages and never be able to explain how
       she can bring such talent and energy to a performance...think of the 2nd Night at Red Rocks...and try to describe it
       you can't... Yes, they get paid to review...But in the words of another one of my LETTERS to the ED
       "Don't let the Ragged Reviewers Get you Down"
         I had written to the Paper..( It may have been the D POST) complaining that the reviewer might cause people
         to stay home. There was an unflattering review of the U of Denver's production of "GYPSY"..which some of us had
         seen and thought it was good, and very entertaining ! ! ! When my letter was printed it said, the above..."Dont Let...
        ect...I was glad they printed my letter...alll of it...and gave it that Title...Quite different from the other one about
        "If you can't stand the....

Thanks for the heads up on the BOSTON Review...we'll see...I am pretty far away to be writing to the Editor
        which I probably would want to do...I let the Denver Post have it last summer, and they did call me to verify
        everything, but I don't think it ever made print.  C S

Thanks For my Beautiful Deirdre Banner...GodsHorseGirl* * *
LISAFAN4EVER
Choir Member

Lisa's my hero!

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2010, 06:59AM »

This guy really needs to read RCHJ98's Heaven on Earth review! Smiley

Tiffany Gray
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2010, 05:00PM »

There was an article about that review, and there was a comment section where people commented on the article and review.  Some of the comments were just down right screwed up.  Some of them said that just because Celtic Woman sounds "perfect," they don't believe their shows are "real," and they have NEVER even been to a Celtic Woman concert.  That really doesn't make much sense.  I don't like how people always assume the worst without knowing the facts.

OneSmallVoice

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2010, 03:44AM »

In the end, it's basically a matter of opinion. Everybody doesn't have to like them. A good majority of my family and friends don't and I'm not gonna hold that against them and I'm not gonna hold it against this reviewer either. We all have different tastes.
Tiffany Gray
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2010, 03:56AM »

Like we've said, we understand that.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 04:07AM by Tiffany Gray » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: