Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fallon coat of arms  (Read 15838 times)
KiernanKate
« on: July 30, 2007, 08:08AM »

Here's a link to the Fallon family coat of arms....

http://www.irishsurnames.com/coatsofarms/gm.htm
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 08:33AM by KiernanKate » Logged
Maggie
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 10:27AM »

Be suspicious of any website where the purpose is to sell you a copy, shield, scroll, etc of "your coat of arms". or where the website is sponsored by a company selling such items.

I studied Heraldry in England many years ago, because the subject fascinated me.
I have always been passionately interested in History......Irish, British, European, the World, in that order.

Soon after I moved to FL, I went to work for the House of Ireland, and was the manager of their "Historic Families" Store. We made scrolls with a name history and/or a coat of arms on it. I used to explain that it was a very general history of the last name, and not their particular family, but the buyers didn't seem to care.

I discovered there are a lot of misconceptions about coats of arms.
First of all, many people call it a "crest" which is wrong.
A crest is only the upper portion above the coat of arms, which in ancient times was worn on the helmet, the coat of arms was worn on the cloak or shield, or both.

The biggest misconception is that ALL people of a certain surname are entitled to the same coat of arms.
The simplest way to explain it is, when an American soldier is wounded in combat he is awarded a purple heart. That does not mean his cousin is entitled to one also.
A coat of arms is awarded to an individual, not to everybody of that same last name.
Descendants of that individual can apply for their own arms, with some alteration.
For example,when Sara Ferguson married Prince Andrew her Scottish ancestor's coat of arms was combined with Andrew'sl coat of arms, and a bee was added, which was her own symbol.

The art of Heraldry is taken very seriously in England.
You cannot just decide you will use a coat of arms in public, that would be like impersonating a Veteran when you have never seen combat.

The main reason for using a coat of arms was recognition, which was important on a battlefield, to determine who was on your side and avoid "friendly fire" incidents.

Heraldry has it's own language, for example the colour red is "gules", green is "vert".
Every device on a coat of arms has a meaning.

The College of Arms is the body which keeps records of all Arms awarded in England.
In Scotland, the authority is "The Court of the Lord Lyon".
In Ireland, the source of information regarding Heraldry: www.nli.ie/h_auth.htm
Another misconception.....the term "clan" is not valid in any country other than Scotland.
Yes I know it is used by reunion sites about Irish families, but it's not correct.
In Ireland, a more accurate term would be "sept".
My family belong to the O'Maoilriain sept in Northern Tipperary, which was easy to prove because they stayed put for centuries.

One of my ancestors was awarded a coat of arms with a background of gules (red) with three griffins' heads. This means that he was a warrior to the death.
His motto in Latin was: "Malo mori quam foedari" which means "I would rather die than be dishonoured".
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 11:06AM by Maggie » Logged
KiernanKate
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 10:30AM »

So I'm guessing this really doesn't mean anything where Orlagh is concerned?
Kelli
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 10:37AM »

Very interesting, as always, Maggie.  Would Coat of Arms only be awarded if you were in the military or a Royal?  Or are there other instances where someone would have one as well?  Who is in charge of awarding them?  Is it the same groups that keep the records?

Visit Órla's Garden, a fansite for Órla Fallon!

What's important often does not stand out but is simply standing quietly.   :  Noah benShe
Maggie
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 11:12AM »

This is the website for England and Wales, go to the FAQ to find answers to all your questions, and explore the rest of the site

www.college-of-arms.gov.uk

For Scotland:

www.lyon-court.com/lordlyon
Maggie
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 11:17AM »

Not really, but Heraldry is a fascinating subject when you get into it...finding out what the symbols mean etc.
There were many coats of arms awarded in battles and wars including the Crusades.

Some of the symbols would be considered "politically incorrect" these days.

Not just individuals, but also Regiments and Government Departments can be awarded coats of arms.
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 01:35PM »

Thank you Maggie.

I have seen these things for years and somethimes they are so far off base, especially like in my case the family name was anglicanized in the mid 1800 from Gaelic.

My cousin uses a coat of arms that he earned. His son has one also with a little mark to designate that he is a descendent.

It's cool when a family has their own as it ties you into your ancestors, but in my opinion, you have to remember taht in Europe the families were usually the same nationality. we here in the states are so mixed up, tracing ancestors can be more fun.

I can trace some of the Irish side (My mothers father) because I still have family in England and Ireland. The other side of mom's family came to the US in 1850's from Holland and My Dad's has been here since the mid 1700s. I love history so it is fascinating to track them down.

has to be easier when you live on a small island.

Jim

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
Maggie
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 02:24PM »

I love history so it is fascinating to track them down.

has to be easier when you live on a small island.

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Yes it sure is!  Grin
Especially as our O'Maoilriains didn't move, not even during the Flight of Earls.
The only problem is, in my part of Tipperary, there are so many Ryans that each branch has to have a nickname. It is not enough to say "My grandfather was Padraic Ryan of Ballycahill".
You would be asked "what nickname?'
My granddad's nickname was Ryan Séan Rua.

Coats of arms in England seem to have started with the Normans.
The part of Europe that is now Germany had COA too.
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 04:12PM »

LOL My Grandfather was Jeremiah as was his father, The family speaks of his as that but we speak of him as Jerome.

Jim

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
Sorgi

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 11:45AM »

Be suspicious of any website where the purpose is to sell you a copy, shield, scroll, etc of "your coat of arms". or where the website is sponsored by a company selling such items...

... I used to explain that it was a very general history of the last name, and not their particular family, but the buyers didn't seem to care.

This is true.

I've started to dig through my own history.  The first problem I encountered is that my paternal Grandfather seemed to buy into these things and had some delusions of grandeur.  About the only thing that I am fairly sure of is that my Grandmothers family came from the province of Munster, probably around the border of Counties Kerry and Cork.

So, in order to dig back you need enough family history to trace, about the only thing the Heraldry sites can give you is the meaning of your surname or possible surnames if yours has been Anglicized.

-Dan

Wickster
Honorary Roadie

Class of 2011!

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2007, 01:03PM »

My brother has these two really cool tattoos

One of the Comerford Coat of Arms on His Right Ankle
and
One of the Gilhooly Coat or Arms on His Left.

its soo cool, but he told me it hurt so bad. i was like 4 when he got them.

Wickiexx

"Even when they have nothing, the Irish emit a kind of happiness, a joy."
-Fiona Shaw
kathleen
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2007, 08:11AM »

Thanks for the lesson Maggie Grin

Wickie...don't get a tatoo. Promise Grin Wink

Wickster
Honorary Roadie

Class of 2011!

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2007, 08:42AM »

Ill never get a tattoo..although my brothers are soo awesome lol

but i think my brother shane got the most painful one.
he got it like 3 days ago, its a golden celtic cross, with the irish flag drapped over it.
hehe...it still hurts i think. but it is actually a really nice one, what it symbolizes.
[let me remind you..it takes up his entire back pretty much]

Wickiexx

"Even when they have nothing, the Irish emit a kind of happiness, a joy."
-Fiona Shaw
07-sara
Bodhrán Player

Smile, you never know who's watching.

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2007, 10:40AM »

I can see why getting your entire back down might hurt.  I have 3 of them on my back and they didn't really hurt.  The worst was the first one and it has a lot of shading so he kept going over it and over it.  By the end it was pretty sore.  But other then that they really weren't painful.

Happy is what happens, when all your dreams come true!

Sara
Maggie
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2007, 12:35PM »

For the life of me, I can not understand why anyone gets a tattoo. I hate them!
Especially on women....Ugh....

A good friend of mine got a couple of tattoos when she was young, in her 20s.....
OMG they look really gross now!
She wishes she had never done it.

A guy with a tattoo would be a big turn-off for me.
I'm glad Dave didn't get tattoos when he was in the Navy.

Having said that, there is a nice guy we know who worked as an under-cover cop in Vegas.
(He is now retired)
His cover was as a biker-dude. They gave him a really neat Harley, made him grow his hair and get big ugly tattoos. Now that is dedication!

Nothing to do with the Fallon COA though!  Wink
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 12:37PM by Maggie » Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: