Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ondine - Colin Farrell  (Read 6109 times)
Maggie
« on: September 15, 2010, 02:17AM »

Has anyone seen this movie? It's about to be released on DVD.
Dave just ordered it from Netflix.

It is about a fisherman (Colin Farrell) in Castletownbere, County Cork, and his little daughter (played by Dervla Kirwan)
who has kidney disease.

Into their lives comes a mystery woman.......is she a selkie?

If you saw "Secret of Roan Inish" you will know what a selkie is.....

"Selkies are mythological creatures that are found in Icelandic, Irish, and Scottish folklore. They can shed their skin from seals to become humans.
Selkies are able to become human by taking off their seal skins, and can return to seal form by putting it back on. Stories concerning selkies are generally romantic tragedies. Sometimes the human will not know that their lover is a selkie, and wakes to find them gone. Other times the human will hide the selkie's skin, thus preventing them from returning to seal form. A selkie can only make contact with one particular human for a short amount of time before they must return to the sea."

Colin Farrell really took his role seriously in this movie......he fell in love with his leading lady Alicja Bachleda,
and they now have a child.
So maybe he'll wake up one morning and find she was a selkie after all, and has returned to the sea.....

I am looking forward to seeing "Ondine".....not only because I think Colin Farrell is a good actor,
but also because I love Castletownbere and the Beara Peninsula.
Some local people were employed as extras in the Movie, and were delighted when Castletownbere was
chosen for a special preview showing.

QUOTE from http://www.southernstar.ie/article.php?id=1824

The screenings have been organised by Beara Tourism.
Chairman of Beara Tourism, John Murphy, this week welcomed the news that the film would get
its first public showing in Castletownbere.
“The fact that the film was shot locally adds an extra dimension to it for the people of the Beara Penninsula.
The many people who were cast as extras are looking forward to seeing the familiar scenery and landscapes
of this beautiful peninsula,” he said.
He added that Beara Tourism hopes that the beauty of the area will also be seen by a national and
international audience and that this will have a spin off for tourism in Beara.
He paid tribute to Mr Jordan for choosing to shoot the film on location in Beara and for allowing the first
public showing of the film to take place in Castletownbere. Mr Jordan has been invited to attend the event next week.
There is a palpable sense of excitement in the town in advance of next week’s screenings.
“Most films are shot on film sets so it was great for the people of Beara to have the chance to see how a film is created on location,” said Mr Murphy.
One of the stars of the film, Dubliner Colin Farrell, has a particular affinity with the Beara Penninsula
and is no stranger to the area.

Castletownbere, location of "Ondine"

« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 02:38AM by Maggie » Logged
worldtraveler

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 08:42AM »

I had the option of seeing it on an airplane, but I was too tired.  I'm glad to hear that it'll soon be on DVD.  Thanks for the info, Maggie!
Maggie
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 07:26AM »

I had the option of seeing it on an airplane, but I was too tired.
 I'm glad to hear that it'll soon be on DVD.  

Here's the trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn7AQe8SqVA

Here's a Colin Farrell interview on British TV:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WSxRgTnWdI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_KqOs_2zB0&feature=fvw

Here he is picking up his "Irish Oscar" for Ondine in the Irish Film & Television Awards 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvH0o5lyi1k&feature=fvsr

« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 07:36AM by Maggie » Logged
lisaholic nr1
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 07:45AM »

I had the option of seeing it on an airplane, but I was too tired.  I'm glad to hear that it'll soon be on DVD.  Thanks for the info, Maggie!

jeah indeed, thanks!
Maggie
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 01:44AM »

Dave ordered "Ondine" from Redbox, and we watched it last night.

We enjoyed it.....especially the location of Castletownbere and the Beara Peninsula, which we have visited.

Colin Farrell's character is Syracuse, a local fisherman.
Alison Barry, as Syracuse's daughter Annie, steals the movie, and has some of the best lines.

The movie has a good cast, and in spite of some criticism for lack of pace, we found it just about right.....
....it's set in West Cork for Goodness sake, not Las Vegas! Roll Eyes

Colin Farrell's accent has been criticized by a few people who have apparently never been to the Castletownbere area.  
He did a pretty good job of switching his raw Dublin City accent for the softer one of West Cork.
He spent a couple of weeks with one of the local fishermen on his boat, listening to him.
Can you imagine getting a call from Colin Farrell asking if he can hang out with you for 2 weeks?
OK calm down, girls!!!  Grin

« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 01:48AM by Maggie » Logged
Emily!
Honorary Roadie

Mission Accomplished :)

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 12:41PM »

It is about a fisherman (Colin Farrell) in Castletownbere, County Cork, and his little daughter (played by Dervla Kirwan)
who has kidney disease.

Oooohhh Dervla Kirwan was in BallyKissAngel!!! I love that show! She was great in it. Smiley Good ol' BallyK.

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart."
Maggie
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 02:17PM »

It is about a fisherman (Colin Farrell) in Castletownbere, County Cork,
and his little daughter (played by Dervla Kirwan) who has kidney disease.

Oooohhh Dervla Kirwan was in BallyKissAngel!!! I love that show!
She was great in it. Smiley Good ol' BallyK.

I must have been away with the faeries when I wrote that!!! Roll Eyes
Dervla does not (of course!) play his daughter....she plays his ex-wife Maura.

Alison Barry plays his little girl, shown here in his arms:

BTW I loved BallyK too!  Cheesy )

« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 02:19PM by Maggie » Logged
Emily!
Honorary Roadie

Mission Accomplished :)

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 02:20PM »

Hahaha, that's funny, because I was gonna say, "Isn't she a bit old to be his daughter?"  Huh Cheesy Cheesy

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart."
Shywolf(Craig)
Total Fanatic

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 03:06PM »

I read it in the Ireland of the Welcomes and IMDB.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: