Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Irish Weather  (Read 3391 times)
Maggie
« on: September 23, 2010, 04:55AM »

If you are planning to visit Ireland, you must be prepared for all kinds of weather.
(They rarely get snow, except in Winter on high ground, and it doesn't last long)
Ireland and England have had a very dry Summer, which is rare. Now, the rain is back.

You must take a rain jacket with a hood, as umbrellas are too cumbersome on vacations.
Take items you can layer on, rather than big sweaters)
Please ladies, don't take high-heeled shoes!!! They are completely useless in Ireland.
First of all, you are going to do a lot of walking....and second, you are unlikely to need dress shoes anywhere.
You certainly will not impress the natives.
I never bought a pair of shoes I couldn't dance in......that's my criteria.
You never know when you might be asked to dance......especially in Ireland!
My "dress-up" items for Ireland are:
a long crush-proof black skirt, a sparkly top, and a pair of very comfortable flat silver leather shoes,
which I bought years ago in a sale for $12.
One thing you can be certain of.....if you are there more than a week, it will rain at some stage of your visit.

I just read this on an Irish Weather Page for the Dingle Peninsula:
"There are generally two kinds of weather across Ireland: raining and going to rain. This is especially true in the area around the Dingle Peninsula, which is on the edge of the Atlantic Ocean and catches the brunt of the Gulf Stream. As a result of this warm water that comes up from the Gulf of Mexico the region can be relatively mild year round.
Don’t expect anything resembling a hot summer however. While July and August can be the warmest months, the term “warm” is completely relative. Daytime temperatures in Dingle can be in the low to mid 70s and when it hits 80 degrees it is considered a true heat wave! However, in the winter temperatures seldom reach freezing."

It makes you wonder how they manage to take all those beautiful sunny photos of Ireland! Cheesy

Having said all that, I am always extremely lucky when I go home, regarding weather.
For my visit in April 2009, I included a rain jacket, one large sweatshirt, and gloves.
I didn't need any of the above......there was light rain on one morning and the rest of the time was pleasantly warm.
In July 2010, the weather was great in England and Ireland.....very little rain, and no cold days.
So you never know what to expect!

It can be a challenge taking photographs in Irish weather, but don't give up......you can still take great pictures,
and Ireland is still beautiful in all weathers.

Ross Castle on a rainy day:

« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 05:07AM by Maggie » Logged
lisaholic nr1
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 07:14AM »

Good to know, because maybe next year.... tadaaaaaam!!! Cheesy
binti

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 07:24AM »

Thanks, Maggie.  How timely your report is for me as we leave today for Ireland.  Looks like we might have a couple of days of sunshine and then the forecast calls for rain most of next week.  Except for driving, I don't expect the rain to slow us down at all.  I am a bit nervous about the driving but surely we'll get the hang of it.  I'm very eager to visit the country of your first homeland.  We are beyond excited.

Thanks to m.k.c. for this lovely banner
LoveLisaKelly
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 08:16AM »

I really wanna go to Ireland Cheesy

by me
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: