Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Barefoot Gossoons  (Read 18096 times)
Anderpaw
Total Fanatic

Love the pipes!

« on: September 26, 2010, 06:34PM »

I have been searching for the meaning of the word "gossoons" from Galway Bay. I came across a piece of information that said gossoon is a corruption of Garsiúin (Irish word for young boy.) It makes sense in the song, barefoot boys playing, but is that the true meaning of the word? This enquiring mind would like to know.  Smiley

Maggie
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 11:18PM »

I have been searching for the meaning of the word "gossoons" from Galway Bay. I came across a piece of information that said gossoon is a corruption of Garsiúin (Irish word for young boy.) It makes sense in the song, barefoot boys playing, but is that the true meaning of the word? This enquiring mind would like to know.  Smiley

"Gossoon" is the phonetic spelling for "gosún" in Irish.....a young boy, they would be usually barefoot when playing.

You might also come across "spalpeen" which is the phonetic spelling of "spailpín" in Irish..
...a young man who wanders the country looking for work, a day labourer.
KerriC
Honorary Roadie

Ireland must be heaven...for Lisa came from there.

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 12:29AM »

I had a feeling it meant boys because it sounded similiar to the french word for boy "garcon"

Thank you CWLisaFan for helping me get this banner!

Thank you Western_Rose for this awesome banner : )
Maggie
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 01:08AM »

I had a feeling it meant boys because it sounded similiar to the french word for boy "garcon"

Exactly.
In fact the word was probably brought to Ireland by the Normans, and adapted by the Irish.
Anderpaw
Total Fanatic

Love the pipes!

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 04:13AM »

Thanks for the confirmation, Maggie. And I thought the same thing Kerri, about garcon. Another mystery solved!  Smiley

lisalover7 (LL7)
Bodhrán Player

"I begged and I begged and I begged and I begged"

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 09:41AM »

Glad to have that information, I thought she was talking about birds lol

Let Me Tell You That I Love You...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: