Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 5th Celtic Woman  (Read 39499 times)
hesprit
Total Fanatic

« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2011, 07:47PM »

Well, it is David who selects the performers, it is David who creates the musical arrangements for them to perform and David is the musical director for Celtic Woman.  Yes, that pretty much means that he has the final say on how many performers are involved in the show.
Méavaholic
Choir Member

Meav is Ameaving!

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2011, 07:56AM »

Well, it is David who selects the performers, it is David who creates the musical arrangements for them to perform and David is the musical director for Celtic Woman.  Yes, that pretty much means that he has the final say on how many performers are involved in the show.
He is "The Man"

Dear Celtic Woman,
I Love you and you are my inspiration.
Thank you Rachael for the Banner it's so lovely!!
wareagle

MEAV IS ALL YOU COULD HAVE IMAGINED

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2011, 02:32PM »

David Downs  is very good. I have seen both the three and four singer combo's  and both are great.  But I believe with the amount of shows these girls are doing a fourth singer would help save their voices a little more. and when they do the Ceili Chloe has to do a wirlwind change to do the second part of the song.  and I do say Helen Kelly would be a good choice just because she is so poplar already. I really think our girls need another voice or shorten the show (I would hate this)  Cry but I am beginnig to worry about burnout on the ones who have been there since the beginning Lisa, Chloe, and Mairead...  from one of the friends of Celticwoman since the beginning I would love to see another 5 years with them 
Dasher

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2011, 05:39AM »

I totally agree with Wareagle... Extended shows on tour not to mention the grueling travel and hundreds of shows almost every night. It can really take its toll and separation of the family would all add up to the burden. Lynn and Alex quit for reasons attributed to being away from home and family. A 5th Celtic woman would not be a panacea but it would ease up the pressure on the three singers. What better reason could I agree more, should there would be a 5th Celtic Woman - it's gotta be HELEN!
hesprit
Total Fanatic

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2011, 02:55AM »

Okay, logically, there is a flaw in this theory though!  It really does not matter if there are three singers, four singers or if there were a dozen singers ... the tour schedule is not going to change.  Each and every one of the girls will still be away from home for the exact same amount of time, they will be on the road for the exact same amount of time, they will all be missing people for the exact same amount of time! 

Each of these women love to be on stage, they love to perform, they love to be sharing their gifts and interacting with the audience!  They have all said it!  By having more singers, it REDUCES the amount of time each of these wonderful ladies has on stage to do what they love so much!  Basically, they would still be away from home just as long, but they would get to perform LESS!

Seriously, why would they want this?  Why would we want this for them?  I understand that some of us would really like to see specific performers on that stage, would be thrilled to have a favorite be part of the leading lineup, and maybe somedoay one or two of them will be there, but I guess I have to ask myself why David has not included them already?  I'm sure he has reasons.  Maybe the person is too busy with something else and is not able to commit to a tour like this as a lead performer.  Maybe it's simply a matter of how he puts the voices together.  Ultimately, we don't know ... we just have to accept that David is doing an amazging job with this group, and we have to trust him instead of second guessing him.

Celtic Woman is amazing just as it is ... we need to accept that and continue to enjoy it!  Personally, I would not want to wonder what might happen if David or the girls would be checking out these boards and find that we are all saying they are doing it wrong ... would you?
Excalibur

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2011, 05:06AM »

Celtic Woman is amazing just as it is ... we need to accept that and continue to enjoy it!  Personally, I would not want to wonder what might happen if David or the girls would be checking out these boards and find that we are all saying they are doing it wrong ... would you?

Nobody said that 3 singers is wrong or not good. Someone just said that 4 would be better and more true to David's original idea of Celtic Woman.

And I wonder, if 4 is so perfect, why did they choose to have 5 singers for the ANJ dvd? And why did they replace Méav and Orla with Lynn and Alex?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 05:10AM by Excalibur » Logged

TheWhite~Rose
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2011, 08:03AM »

Celtic Woman is amazing just as it is ... we need to accept that and continue to enjoy it!  Personally, I would not want to wonder what might happen if David or the girls would be checking out these boards and find that we are all saying they are doing it wrong ... would you?

Nobody said that 3 singers is wrong or not good. Someone just said that 4 would be better and more true to David's original idea of Celtic Woman.

And I wonder, if 4 is so perfect, why did they choose to have 5 singers for the ANJ dvd? And why did they replace Méav and Orla with Lynn and Alex?
There were 5 singers for ANJ because Hayley was invited as a special guest to perform with them.  And as far as I know (meaning, from what the ladies told us), Meav and Orla left on their own to spend more time with their families and to get back into their solo careers--both of which are proving to be very successful.  I don't like to think of Lynn and Alex as "replacements;" they both added their own unique sound and beauty to the group--I was devastated when they left. Sad  

I've mentioned this before earlier on the thread; I love and miss the 4-part harmonies, but I have nothing to judge this by considering I haven't heard the new line up yet.  However, I do agree that David has yet to let us down.  If anything new comes up, he'll let us know.
MaryNorth93
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2011, 08:28AM »

I think we aren't getting any far with this discussion. Because we all have our own personal experience of a celtic woman show.

I'll speak carefully, as I realize I haven't attended any CW-concerts.

What I like about the four girls line-up that it seems more close. Just comparing the pics, informal and formal to the five girls line-up. And I've really started to love Lisa Lambe more and more. So much spark, such a sweet voice and so much personality!  I can imagen however, that the fact that there are three singers instead of four might have weakened the group's musical harmony a bit. At least, that's based on a few music videos for example of their performance at the José Garras Gala. And several online reviews where people mentioned that they loved the show, but noticed that some big group songs didn't sound as powerfully for them as before. But again, I don't have really a right to speak since I haven't attended a CW concert yet. And something as a group's music harmony is personal preference.

Celtic Woman has always been a variated show. For everyone means it something different and everyone sees something different in it. How could we have otherwise all have our favorite celtic woman, favorite solo and group songs? Some people prefer 3 singers for their personal experience, others 4. Is it really so odd to want 4 singers?

You can still be supporting a group. Although you'd like to see several things different. That's no offence to David or the girls. All I can say is I'm really looking foreward to my first CW-concert this June, to finally experience what must be so special about Celtic Woman concert.

To quote David (Greenfire): Long live Celtic Woman!  Cheesy
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 08:50AM by MaryN. » Logged
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2011, 09:00AM »

I think we aren't getting any far with this discussion. Because we all have our own personal experience of a celtic woman show.
I agree. This is similar to the old "More taste! - Less Filling!" commercials. I guess this topic is just providing a place for individuals to express their own opinions. And that's fine, so long as nobody suggests that someone else's opinion is wrong or invalid.

My own slant on it? I've never yet been disappointed in any lineup, or any of David's choices of soloists, and I've been to quite a few shows. And anyone who has seen SftH and their rendition of Amazing Grace can tell you that the power - and the harmonies - are alive and well.

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
Excalibur

« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2011, 02:02PM »

There were 5 singers for ANJ because Hayley was invited as a special guest to perform with them.  And as far as I know (meaning, from what the ladies told us), Meav and Orla left on their own to spend more time with their families and to get back into their solo careers--both of which are proving to be very successful.  I don't like to think of Lynn and Alex as "replacements;" they both added their own unique sound and beauty to the group--I was devastated when they left. Sad  

Of course I didn't intend the word "replace" in that sense. Lynn and Alex have been incredible addictions to the group and I miss them exactly as much as I miss Méav and Orla (and Deirdre and Hayley, sigh). What I was trying to say is that, as long as it was possibile, David wanted to keep 5 girls. My question (with myself, since probably there will never be a clear answer) is: why three singers after Alex left and not before? Smiley

MarleneDFan1901

« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2011, 02:25PM »

I know the whole idea of Celtic Woman started from David but I was wondering at this point in the life of Celtic Woman, is it up to David how many soloists there are? Any one know?

now there r only Lisa K, Lisa L, Chole ,and Mairead
TheWhite~Rose
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2011, 07:26PM »

My question (with myself, since probably there will never be a clear answer) is: why three singers after Alex left and not before? Smiley

Ah, I see.  Thanks for clearing that up. Smiley  Unfortunately, I have no answer for that, but I'm sure David has his reasons. It's probably best not to dwell on it though.  Undecided
Dasher

« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2011, 07:37PM »

Right Excalibur, nobody said 3 singing ladies of Celtic was bad it's just that others feel better on a 'balanced'  on quartet voices. Be it three or four it's the same prestine Celtic Woman we are all united to be enchanted.

OldFatGuy and MaryN, very nice objective opinion, their music is not just a personal experience but a personal phenomenon, it's a prayer!

Excalibur, ... maybe they are waiting for Helen to make herself available of audition!
CelticWomanFan425
Honorary Roadie

I saw Meav perform for the 1st time on 3/10/15

« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2011, 07:38PM »

Excalibur, ... maybe they are waiting for Helen to make herself available of audition!

THAT WOULD MAKE MY LIFE!!!!  Shocked Grin  Smiley

I met David Downes,Susan McFadden, Lynn, Lisa K(2x), Eabha, Mairead N, Mairead C, Chloe(2x), Lisa Lambe(2x), Orla, Anthony Byrne & Sarah Gannon, Edel Chan Murphy, Ewan Cowley (2x) & Roisin Dempsey.
Excalibur

« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2011, 07:42PM »

That would be really interesting Smiley

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: