Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orla at Columbus, OH on Thursday April 28, 2011!  (Read 5184 times)
Starman
Honorary Roadie

« on: April 29, 2011, 06:34PM »

Órla Fallon’s My Land tour thrilled the audience fortunate enough to have been present at the Southern Theatre in Columbus, OH last night!  Among those forum members present were Rick, Barbeaver, SandyB and myself.  We were seated close together, but not directly adjacent, with Rick and I on the front row left and Barb and Sandy second row center.  We saw very quickly we were in for a treat!

I had not previously seen the opening act, Tin Cup Gypsy, though had read of them in Mike’s (Mr. Peabody) review. Hailing from Nashville, Jordon, Jonathon and Cassandra are a fiddler/mandolinist, percussionist, guitarist/lead vocalist and lovely vocalist/instrumentalist. Though not Irish (although I’ll bet you wouldn’t have to go back too many generations) and despite such suspect Irish influences as “Marvin Gaelic”, they proved themselves to be a good fit as backup to Órla when joined by Dan Shea on keyboards and other instruments, Amberly Rosen on fiddle and Órla herself on harp.

We came armed with the set list—filched from the very stage itself in Albany by some legermande who shall remain nameless except for the initials Mike Brown.   Mo Ghile Mear, containing more of the Irish lyrics than in the Celtic Woman version; My Land, as on the DVD but without the choir and then—a surprise: 2 Sisters, which Órla dedicated to me!  Described by Órla as a song about two sisters fighting over a man—if it involves me, it’s probably about a fight over the doorknob to see who can get out the door first!  Nonetheless,  I was very thrilled that she would honor me with a song dedication and I’ll  certainly never forget this courtesy extended to me by an artist I love and admire so.

Órla shared with us the story of the initial trouble she had in recording Morning Is Broken.  Too much of the Cat Stevens influence said music director Dan Shea and so Órla in her own imitable style gave us her own version, which the audience clearly loved.

Performance of each of the songs was enhanced by a commentary from Órla as to why it was selected and the part it had played in her life, whether introduced to her by a relative in childhood or at a particularly memorable time in her life.  This technique gives us an insight into her life which she was never permitted to give us within the confines of the Celtic Woman shows and which clearly interests and delights the audiences now.

Amberly Rosen has really grown as a performer since I saw her with Órla at Statesville, NC in December, when she had just started performing with her.  She has totally blossomed on the fiddle and as a dancer as well!  She is having fun and the audience is having fun watching her! She obviously works well with the musicians in Tin Cup Gypsy! Some very intriguing fiddling/mandolin duets.  They strike me as a group which must be fun for Órla to tour with!    

Dan Shea shows his versatility by playing not only the keyboards,  but 5-string bass guitar, guitar and concertina (squeeze-box). A bass guitar in the lineup allows him the luxury of not having to constantly carry a bass line on the keyboards.

Music in the show contains songs from not only My Land, but also Distant Shore. Isle of Inisfree , we are glad is in the show.  From the Christmas DVD comes Soul Cake, which Órla has heard from ancient tales of a group called Peter, Paul and Mary which leads to the intermission. A romping good way to end the first act.

In this show Down To the River to Pray has now been incorporated in a O Brother Where Art Thou medley which with the addition of  Tin Cup Gypsy in songs such as Man of Constant Sorrow works very nicely and goes over wonderfully with the crowd.  All it needs is some of the dance moves from George Clooney and the Soggy Bottom Boys to be complete!  This rousing number is followed by a lovely performance of Both Sides Now, which Órla tells us has been most meaningful at various stages of her life.

Dancing in the Moonlight is an upbeat number from Distant Shores, written by Órla and recalling the magical days of young romance—days too soon replaced by squalling brats and rolling pins to the side of the head, the innocence of which is nice to be recalled, along with the thought that it just might not be irretrievable to us, with a little effort..  Easy enough to image being lost in Orla's eyes.. Followed by the enchanting Simple Love, also from Distant Shores.  The song has never been performed better, nor more convincingly, by anybody.

Red is the Rose, from My Land, follows and is lovely when performed with Tin Cup Gypsy, as opposed to Tommy Fleming on the CD/DVD, though no less movingly done here live. The lively tune Ni Na La follows: we may well leave humming the tune, but not likely mouthing the lyrics.

Isle of Inisfree follows.  For me, memories come not only of  Órla’s first performance of it we saw in that first show at the Helix which started it all, but also her performance of it on Skate for the Heart, aired here in January 2008 and her narrative of its meaning to her on that program.  She has lost none of the touch in her performance of it, nor its poignancy to the audience. It is too precious to be abandoned.

The sing-along I’ll Tell Me Ma is next: and we do!  You know, many of us have already bought the DVD and CD and know the lyrics, though it might pay not to listen to us too closely or an ill-favored note might somehow appear..

Hard Times, the Stephen Foster song from Distant Shores, is hauntingly performed by Órla. With the Kentucky Derby coming up next week, you might note the similar sentiments expressed in My Old Kentucky Home, also by Stephen Foster, which is the state song and is sung annually at the Derby (and by we Kentuckians, on other public occasions).  Today, the return of hard times is not too difficult to imagine.

We are on our feet with an ovation at the last number: Órla will not escape without an encore, which they give us.  Columbus will not forget the show they have just seen. Lucky Indianapolis is next!

Shortly after their departure from the stage, Órla comes down to meet with the audience and to my delight, comes straight to me and embraces me with a hug!  Wow!  She asks how I’m doing (extraordinarily well at the moment, I must say!).  I remind her I haven’t seen her since Statesville in December (much too long for my taste). I relay hellos from a number of people who had asked me to do so.  Yes, she remembers Thomas from Cleveland, whom I tell her looks forward to seeing her there soon again.  I told her of the delighted reaction of Máiréad to seeing her name on the birthday banner presented to her at Springfield last week—she says she is glad Mike asked her to do it.  We pose for photos (see below) and I tell her the sad fate of the Statesville photos she had so laboriously posed for with me… I introduced her to Rick, whom she has already picked out in seeing his Celtic Woman tee shirt on—with her on it!  Nobody else in the crowd has one of those on!  He poses for photos which I take.  

Barb and sister Sandy snap away with cameras.  Rick and I, done for the time being, go up to speak to Amberly in the foyer.  I reintroduce to myself to her and gave her a note from Ann Marie and she says she will answer her.  What a wonderful show from her tonight!  She graciously poses for photos with Rick, Barb and Sandy and myself.  Then Rick and I return to hopefully get some of our items signed by Órla as the line around her diminishes.  Meanwhile,
Dan Shea is on stage supervising the breaking down of the set.  I talk to him briefly, telling him I think his Christmas Bells is destined to become part of the soundtrack of a major Christmas movie.  He said he thought of that possibility as he was writing it.  He graciously allowed me a couple of photos.  I told him I would see him at the Cleveland show.

Now Órla is finally free and Rick and I are able to get our items signed.  Rick had some gorgeous photos printed out for her to sign. He and she talk for a while.  Then, last in the line, Órla graciously signed my DVD and one for more mother.  I gave her a copy of the KET magazine from December 2007 which featured her on the cover in a gorgeous full-cover photo—in case she would like it for her scrapbook, as I can get another one.  Sadly, I’ve got to let her go. Rick and I leave, saying goodbye to the remaining crew in the process of tearing the set down.

It was certainly a show I will never forget and the courtesies and personal attention Órla gave to me will always be fondly remembered.  And Rick and I vow that we must tell others the wonders that await them in seeing Órla in concert.  And so should we all.

John/Starman

SandyB’s photo of Barb, Rick & I

Órla and myself (note halo above her head--always knew she had one!)

Barb and sister SandyB at intermission

Rick with Órla!

Órla with Sandy

Rick and I with Amberly Rosen

Órla and me, photo by Barb
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 09:40AM by Starman » Logged

SusanZ
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 12:21PM »

Sounds like a wonderful evening, John. Of course, ANY evening spent with Orla is a special one! Glad you had a great time! Grin

Zee

"We create our tomorrows by what we dream today"
Thanks Hayley for the great banner!!
Starman
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 02:05PM »

Thanks Zee! I wish you could have been there with us--but then you and Kelli were a little pre-disposed, weren't you!   Wink Grin
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 02:31PM by Starman » Logged

MikeyK
Honorary Roadie

Proud Chloëver

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 10:06PM »

Great review, John! While reading your review I almost felt as if I was back at my Salt Lake concert. Such wonderful memories. Come on October, I need more memories! haha. Thanks for sharing!
Starman
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 07:02AM »

Great review, John! While reading your review I almost felt as if I was back at my Salt Lake concert. Such wonderful memories. Come on October, I need more memories! haha. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you Mikey!  I couldn't make Utah and so this was the next best thing for me!  I did get to spend some quality time with Orla, had a song dedicated to me and several hugs, so I'm still on cloud nine!

Many thanks to SandyB for capturing this one after the Columbus show!  Cool

greenfire6
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 09:51PM »

No doubt Órla blushes, and, humbly, maybe even thinks us silly, but she really is the cloud nine girl for loads of people.

Thanks for another top-notch review John!
Kelli
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 08:48AM »

Great review John!

Visit Órla's Garden, a fansite for Órla Fallon!

What's important often does not stand out but is simply standing quietly.   :  Noah benShe
Starman
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 04:43PM »

Thanks David and Kelli!  It was the next best thing to being at Orlapalooza for me!   Cool

greenfire6
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 05:56PM »

I have faith that Órlapalooza is an annual event. So you will have no excuses next year John...

Still, you have done extremely well in the Órla Fallon and Celtic Woman department of late! Envy is a negative emotion I try to avoid but I almost feel it.

Hope to cross paths with other true believers that I have yet to meet, such as yourself, someday soon.  Cheesy Wink

Thanks again for all of your reviews.
Starman
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 06:56PM »

I have faith that Órlapalooza is an annual event. So you will have no excuses next year John...

Still, you have done extremely well in the Órla Fallon and Celtic Woman department of late! Envy is a negative emotion I try to avoid but I almost feel it.

Hope to cross paths with other true believers that I have yet to meet, such as yourself, someday soon.  Cheesy Wink

Thanks again for all of your reviews.

Thanks David!  I hope to remedy that at another Orla show soon!  Cool
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 07:28PM by Starman » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: