Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I think that we should start a Celtic Woman project on Wikipeida...  (Read 8488 times)
Lugiahua

"Goodnight and joy be to you all" - Parting Glass

« on: May 03, 2011, 12:08AM »

In the past five years, Wikipedia became an important tool for many. Some people would search on Wikipedia whenever encountered an unfamiliar term.
As many of us probably already noticed, the database related to Celtic Woman, both current and past member on Wikipedia is quite limited.

For example, when I was search My Land album by Orla, I couldn't find any information at all! same to many other albums or tours related to our beloved ladies  Angry

So I suggest here that we should help on increasing database on the Wikipedia, for those who has time and resources to do so.
I have no experience on editing Wikipedia  Tongue, but think it's a good idea to suggest such project...
hesprit
Total Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 02:00PM »

Wikipedia is NOT a reliable source of information.  There is no requirement to provide confirmation of the infomation that is posted and, using the members of Celtic Woman as an example, there have been large amounts of incorrect information, as well as information that is not publicly available, posted to the site. 

Personally, I would not rely on any information found on Wikipedia unless I can find it confirmed on an official site ... and if I'm going to the official site anyway, why bother with Wikipedia?  Bottom line is that I would not bother with creating a project which anyone could come along and change the information or even add in false or incorrect information at any time without a need for confirmation.
Lugiahua

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 02:57PM »

yes, but common people use Wikipedia extensively.
and I am sure updating information like list of songs from My Land or the name of composers of My Land will not cause security breach.

Of course, some information should never goes to Wikipedia. like personal information of the ladies.
aislin
Administrator
Total Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 07:20PM »

Several years ago a prominent British journal did a comparison between Wikipedia and the Encyclopedia Britannica. They found, on the whole, Wikipedia was more accurate. Nothing is perfect, but Jimmy Whales has undertaken a project with laudable goals and humanitarian outgrowths. Love it or hate it, for those of us under 30 it has become as ubiquitous as Google. Not saying that you should use it to research a published article or anything, just that it is a common source of information that a huge portion of the wired world uses.

However, the system they have in place for users to upload information boggles my mind. It is absolutely difficult and not what qualifies as user friendly in my world so anyone attempting this would have to be familiar with the system.

If someone wants to take it upon themselves to keep the girls Wikipedia entries up to date, I think it would be awesome and very helpful.

aislin
The Leprechaun
Total Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 08:22PM »

I agree with the first post. For a project in college, I helped expand the page on Lisa Kelly, but everyone else still has bad pages except Hayley. There's not much on there and more should be. It would help everyone who wants to know.

In regards of the accuracy of Wikipedia, the more known something is, the more right it tends to be. I guess Celtic Woman just doesn't have enough crazy fans who post on Wikipedia. So go for it.

Celtic Woman: Gotta love them.

Proud sufferer of OCCWD.

The wonderful Susan.

Thanks whoever for the picture.
IloveyouSarahBurke!! <3
Choir Member

When You Believe~ Chloe:"that was for you" 5/15/15

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 09:46PM »

Personally, I'm not a fan of Wikipedia, since anybody can edit the info.... but I will try to keep the info up to date, it would just be near impossible to constantly keep all the info true...

Thanks Scott! 
I MET CHLOE (6X),LIL' LAMBE (4X)MAIREAD NESBITT(6X)AND SUSAN(6X) MAIREAD CARLIN(4X) ALEX SHARPE,and EABHA!!!!!!!!!!
Jennifer
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 09:52PM »

I'm not too sure about this since Wikipedia's not that reliable...
Lugiahua

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 10:32PM »

it's reliability depends on the page contributors....which are us.  Wink
hesprit
Total Fanatic

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 03:14PM »

The problem is that the page contributors are a lot more than just those of us here at the CWF, who truly care about the truth.  The fact is that anyone, anywhere in the world, who has internet access can go in and put anything they want onto those pages ... and there ARE those who will, and DO intentionally post false information just because they think it's funny.

Right on this forum is a fine example of why I won't use Wikipedia, and why I continue to believe it is not a reliable source of information.  Our own fearless leader, Rich (OFG), who runs the official Lisa Kelly Fan Club, site, newsletter and who does so with Lisa's personal approval and direct cooperation talks about the fact that certain people are continually changing the information on her Wikipedia page to include blatant lies.

http://www.celticwomanforum.com/index.php?topic=16350.0

If you choose to undertake this type of project, I wish you good luck.  Personally, however, I don't see it as actually benefiting the girls or their fans because nobody will ever be able to be certain the information there is accurate and it leaves them open to receiving false information.  Instead of Wikipedia, I will simply use, and refer others to, the more accurate and reliable sources of information ... primarily the official sites run by, or recommended by, Celtic Woman LTD or the girls themselves.
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 03:28PM »

Instead of Wikipedia, I will simply use, and refer others to, the more accurate and reliable sources of information ... primarily the official sites run by, or recommended by, Celtic Woman LTD or the girls themselves.
I agree wholeheartedly with that statement.

CW Ltd is not interested in building or maintaining Wiki pages for the group or the performers. There is ample information available on the CW home site and the artists' individual web sites. I'm not saying that they don't deserve an entry; but your best bet is to stick to a "less is more" approach. A very simple, brief bio and links to their official web presences. Fans often want to show off their in-depth knowledge, so they build a huge (and often incorrect) entry. The they lose interest and the information quickly becomes outdated.

I receive an email notification every time anyone edits Lisa Kelly's Wiki page, so I can check and correct it. But I only do that because of my connection to her fan club, newsletter, etc. I certainly don't have the time to do it for the group or any of the other performers.

I would strongly advise against getting too involved in something like this. CW is a dynamic entity, and it's tough to keep up with all the changes. If their webmasters are already doing the work, why duplicate it?

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
IloveyouSarahBurke!! <3
Choir Member

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 04:41PM »

This was already said, but even though we may be contributing to the page, there's no guarentee others won't.... Anybody can edit Wikipedia, and unless someone is sitting online 24/7 monitoring it, it will not be entirely reliable...

Thanks Scott! 
I MET CHLOE (6X),LIL' LAMBE (4X)MAIREAD NESBITT(6X)AND SUSAN(6X) MAIREAD CARLIN(4X) ALEX SHARPE,and EABHA!!!!!!!!!!
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 04:50PM »

unless someone is sitting online 24/7 monitoring it, it will not be entirely reliable...
Welllllll.......... That's not entirely true. If you register an account on Wikipedia, you can create a watch list and set your preferences so that you receive an email notification every time a page is edited. That''s what I've done with Lisa's entry, and there haven't been any more ugly updates lately.

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
IloveyouSarahBurke!! <3
Choir Member

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 05:35PM »

unless someone is sitting online 24/7 monitoring it, it will not be entirely reliable...
Welllllll.......... That's not entirely true. If you register an account on Wikipedia, you can create a watch list and set your preferences so that you receive an email notification every time a page is edited. That''s what I've done with Lisa's entry, and there haven't been any more ugly updates lately.

Ohhh.... haha I didn't know that.... sorry....
It's still hard to monitor it though...

Thanks Scott! 
Lugiahua

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 09:47PM »

This was already said, but even though we may be contributing to the page, there's no guarentee others won't.... Anybody can edit Wikipedia, and unless someone is sitting online 24/7 monitoring it, it will not be entirely reliable...

but staying away from Wikipedia doesn't make the pages go away at all.
Actually that makes the case even worse since no one cares about what "others" wrote on those pages.

Let's just face it, the Celtic Woman related pages on Wikipedia will always be there unless Wikipedia went off business.
Many people who are unfamiliar with CW check those pages everyday.
So we can either ignore those pages and let "others" write whatever they want on them, or we can help improve them ourselves.
Parker Gabriel

The British Isles may become all I have left.

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 08:46PM »

The Celtic Woman Wiki already exists; all WE need to do is contribute to it. This is its URL:
http://celticwoman.wikia.com/wiki/Celtic_Woman_Wiki

The British Isles may become all I have left.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: