Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Genealogy  (Read 27753 times)
Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2014, 09:10PM »

I have a Great Grandmother on my Mother's side that was 100% Irish and a great grandfather on my father's side that was 100% Irish too don't know how much Irish I have in me though, I should get some DNA testing done lol
  Each  great  grand parent  represents  1/16th   of  your  genetic  makeup, so  your  2 great  grandparents  together  would  make  you  1/8th   Irish  by  my  reckoning.     Cool

Gerard

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2014, 11:49AM »

A few years ago, I did my family's genealogy. I'm one hundred per cent Breton (as far back as the 16th century), more precisely from the Léon (north west of the Finistère). Most of my ancestors were labourers, except for my great great grandparents and my great grandparents on my father's side who were millers.

Recently (well, a year or two ago), I've become a fan of the BBC show "Who Do You Think You Are ?" a very interesting show where celebrities go on the hunt for their ancestors. And Ireland, Scotland, Wales and Cornwall are featured in some episodes. Like the one that aired last night, where comedian Brendan O'Carroll tried to find out who murdered his grandfather during the Irish War of Liberation, in 1920. Of note also the episode about David Tennant. There was even an Irish version. I would very much like to see a French version, but I don't think it's likely to happen anytime soon.
Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2015, 09:53PM »

I did some more internet genealogy today and found a family line that goes back to Adam and Eve.
There were a few Roman emperors and Cleopatra along the way.
IF what I found is correct, I am in the 123rd generation of our family.
Guess I will have to stop now.   Wink
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 05:49PM by Jim M. » Logged
Jack

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2015, 07:18PM »

Jim, I have one line on my mother's side that goes back to Odin!  Grin Grin

Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2015, 02:07PM »

I am finding some obvious mistakes in the information others have posted.
For example, King Edward III, The Confessor, died in 1066, and his son was born in 1340.  How did they do that?
Another had a person dead before they were born.  Other mistakes list the wrong parents.
Maybe the researchers were too tired and blurry-eyed when they posted. Huh
Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2015, 07:50PM »

Jim, I have one line on my mother's side that goes back to Odin!  Grin Grin
Me, too.  (4 lines to him, so far.)  He was also known as Voden or Woden.  His wife was Frigg.  They apparently had 10 sons.
I have traced his family back to King Dymas of Phrygia (father of daughter Hecuba) and King Laomedon of Troy (father of High King Priam).  Priam and Hecuba's daughter married the King of Troy.  I don't have dates, yet. Wink
Odin is listed about 20 generations later, born in 210.  Frigg is said to have lived from 219 to 310.
Looks like we are related. Smiley
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 09:06AM by Jim M. » Logged
Jack

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2015, 10:30AM »

Jim, I have one line on my mother's side that goes back to Odin!  Grin Grin
Me, too.  (4 lines to him, so far.)  He was also known as Voden or Woden.  His wife was Frigg.  They apparently had 10 sons.
Looks like we are related.

Hi, Cuz!  Odin--> Woden--> Wooten (with a few generations thrown in between)  The spelling of my father's surname (thus mine) is the same as it was thirteen hundred years ago in Ireland.  (Catholic Bishop, Saxon origins, ancestors likely from Denmark)
Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2015, 10:46AM »

I'm finding a lot of ancestors from Denmark, Norway and Sweden.  One line goes to the father of King Fornjot ("The Giant") of Finland.  
Russia, France and Spain are there, too.
And, this is just on my mother's side.  My dad's side is Irish, so likely includes Danes, too. Wink
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 09:03AM by Jim M. » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: