Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "The Voice" lyrics  (Read 30942 times)
Meldy

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2007, 01:56AM »

I noticed those things too but I made myself believe "no I'm just hearing it wrong" Cheesy  I thougt I was the only one Cheesy  Then "The Voice" lyrics and "The Prayer" are a little "altered" then Smiley

Banner by:  Scott
jsharp

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2007, 05:32AM »

in "Caledonia" Lisa sings "But if I should become a stranger" but the lyrics say "shall"

Actually, "should" is correct. It's the same tense as the rest of the line: "...know that it would make me more than sad."

As I said, the lyric sheet isn't always right.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 03:39AM by jsharp1701 » Logged

“You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” - Anne Lamott

CWFan2
Total Fanatic

Love You Always Lisa!!

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2007, 08:28AM »

I'm always hearing ... "But if I should become a stranger .. know that it would make me more than sad". This may differ slightly from the written lyrics in the "A NEW JOURNEY" CD booklet. Well, whatever that reads, I know what I'm hearing.

Peace to all ... Bill

Still And Forever ... Our Angel From Heaven
Trouble
Bodhrán Player

Play with Fire.

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2007, 11:05AM »

Yeah, I know that when the choir at my church sing some songs, they'll change the words a little so that it will sound better.  Like when they sing the word "Lord" they don't pronounce the "L"

Thanks Lindsey
Maggie
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2007, 10:40AM »

My interpretation of "The Voice" from the first time I heard it, is this is the voice of Ireland singing to her children. I think that is what Brendan Graham (from Tipperary) intended, as many of his songs and books have an Irish History theme.

If you know Irish History it becomes obvious.

It mentions all the pain and hardships the Irish people have endured....
the Famine "your hunger and pain"
the bloodshed in the long struggle for independence "Filled with my sorrows and blood in my fields"
The message of the song is:
Learn about your history, learn from what Ireland has been through =
"I am the voice of your history, be not afraid, come follow me"

Never forget the past = "I am the voice of the past that will always be"

But strive for a peaceful solution so the wounds of the past can heal = "Give me your peace and my wounds they will heal"

Now we can go on to more prosperous times = "I am the voice of the future"

The reference to the seasons is symbolic of the long dark times of the past and the promise of the future = "I am the force that in Springtime will grow".

The force definitely did grow in the light of the Peace Accord, and the Irish Economy is now one of the best in Europe.
But we still have a way to go........

« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 10:58AM by Maggie » Logged
Maggie
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2007, 11:06AM »

Although "I am the Voice" might refer to Ireland and history, there is always a hint of spirituality in most Irish songs.
Even the Preamble to the Irish Constitution refers to God and History in the same breath.
Here is the Preamble:

In the Name of the Most Holy Trinity, from Whom is all authority and to Whom, as our final end, all actions both of men and States must be referred,

We, the people of Éire,

Humbly acknowledging all our obligations to our Divine Lord, Jesus Christ, Who sustained our fathers through centuries of trial,

Gratefully remembering their heroic and unremitting struggle to regain the rightful independence of our Nation,

And seeking to promote the common good, with due observance of Prudence, Justice and Charity, so that the dignity and freedom of the individual may be assured, true social order attained, the unity of our country restored, and concord established with other nations,

Do hereby adopt, enact, and give to ourselves this Constitution.

OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2007, 11:37AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Voice_%28song%29

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
jsharp

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2007, 11:51AM »

Here's a video of the original singer, Eimear Quinn, performing "The Voice" in the Eurovision Song contest (which it won) in 1996. Sadly, the sound isn't great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPSZxPGv7dI
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 11:58AM by jsharp1701 » Logged

“You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” - Anne Lamott

Trouble
Bodhrán Player

Play with Fire.

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2007, 01:25PM »

umm..very interesting. 

Thanks Lindsey
Sassy

Ni Caoim

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2007, 05:50PM »

Maggie, I was just about to post my interpretation of what the voice represents, and then I decicded to read all the thread first and yours is the same as mine.  I thought of it as being Ireland itself, talking to her children. *S*
Meldy

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2007, 06:56PM »

Ireland talking to her children....wow that's a nice interpretation I never thought of that Wink 

Banner by:  Scott
Parker Gabriel

The British Isles may become all I have left.

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2018, 04:17PM »

Here's a video of the original singer, Eimear Quinn, performing "The Voice" in the Eurovision Song contest (which it won) in 1996. Sadly, the sound isn't great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPSZxPGv7dI

And guess what! The link STILL remains LIVE as of the time of this post!
That is a MAGNIFICENT development!!!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 04:19PM by Parker Gabriel » Logged

The British Isles may become all I have left.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: