Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Problems with reading new posts since last visit  (Read 13895 times)
lcainsa
« on: June 16, 2011, 06:43AM »

When I visit the CW Forum (usually several times a day), I always click on the "Show unread posts since last visit" link at the top right to bring up any new posts that I haven't read.  At some point yesterday, I started getting a blank list with this message "No unread topics found since your last visit. Click here to try all unread topics."  I then have to click on the "Click here to try all unread topics" part of that to bring up the list of new posts.  If I look at one of the new posts, I have to go back through the same procedure, because clicking on the link at the top doesn't show me new posts anymore.

It looks like a change was made, not sure what it was intended to do, but I suspect it's not working as intended. Wink 
Ben the piper
Bodhrán Player

There can be miracles, when you believe!

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 06:47AM »

Yes I have the same problem.

But it also happens when you post in the same thread a few times in a row then it doesn't show up as an unread topic and you either you check it Lisa's way or you go to "Home" and check there for new posts.

aislin
Administrator
Total Fanatic

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 09:00AM »

Lisa,

There was a stability upgrade implemented yesterday, which might be causing the issue you're seeing.

Ben, how long have you been having this problem?

At a guess, your cookie went bad and you need to clear your cookies and have the forum get you another one. The cookie tells the forum the last time you were logged on and it's what the forum goes by to get your last posts. Leave the forum, clear your cookies, come back and try again and let me know if you have any better luck.

aislin
Ben the piper
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 09:06AM »

Hm I don't really know actually. It's been a problem for quite a while.
Erm sorry, I didn't quite catch the meaning of a cookie. Or how do you clear them?

lcainsa
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 09:24AM »

Thanks Aislin! It seems to be doing it less now that it did earlier, and the last few times I've check for new posts using the link at the top right, it's worked fine.  I'll et you know if I experience further issues.  If I do, I'll try clearing my cookies as well and see if that helps.

Ben, cookies are messages that web servers pass to your web browser when you visit Internet sites. Your browser stores each message in a small file, called cookie.txt. When you request another page from the server, your browser sends the cookie back to the server. These files typically contain information about your visit to the web page, as well as any information you've volunteered, such as your name and interests.

I copied the above info from the Indiana University Information Technology Knowledge Base.  It's part of a larger article that tells you all about cookies and how they are used.

As far as how to clear them, it depends on what browser you use.  I'm currently using IE9, and here's how it works for my browser:

1.Select Tools | Internet Options.
 2.Under "Browsing History," click Delete.
 3.Place a check in the Temporary Internet Files and Cookies checkboxes.
 4.Click Delete at the bottom of the pop-up window.
 5.Close and restart your browser.

Your browser probably has something similar, if you use something different.  Here's a page I found with instructions on how to clear cookies in various browsers...

How do I clear my browser's cookies?

Hope that helps!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 09:30AM by Lisa » Logged
Ben the piper
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 09:44AM »

Hm well I use Firefox but found the instructions and deleted the cookies.
Thanks.

lcainsa
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 09:46AM »

I still tend to stay with IE, but when I'm having issues with IE, I switch over to Firefox, myself.  Wink Cheesy
Ben the piper
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 09:51AM »

Well at least it's working now! Cheesy

LISAFAN4EVER
Choir Member

Lisa's my hero!

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 07:09AM »

But it also happens when you post in the same thread a few times in a row then it doesn't show up as an unread topic...
I have this problem also. If I just posted, I'll look to the right to see if a different name is there...like in the fun & game thread. It's abit irritating but not world-ending. Smiley

Celtic Lass
Total Fanatic

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 02:35PM »

I've cleared my cookies several times and I still have this problem.
lcainsa
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 10:43PM »

I haven't tried clearing my cookies, but I'm still having the problem as well.
LISAFAN4EVER
Choir Member

Lisa's my hero!

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 04:50AM »

The other problem I have is that when I click on say one of the girls pictures that are in color - indicating unread topics - I get a message that says no unread topics since my last visit. When I go back and click on the board name, the unread topics show up. Again, nothing earth shattering. I just click on the board name and look for the purple new! Cheesy

aislin
Administrator
Total Fanatic

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 08:39AM »

The other problem I have is that when I click on say one of the girls pictures that are in color - indicating unread topics - I get a message that says no unread topics since my last visit. When I go back and click on the board name, the unread topics show up. Again, nothing earth shattering. I just click on the board name and look for the purple new! Cheesy

Those pictures (board notification icons) also indicate if a child board has any new posts. If you click on the icon, however, it only shows you new posts in the main board. Any easy way to check is that the child board names are bolded on the front page of the forum when they have new posts.

aislin
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 08:42AM by aislin » Logged
LISAFAN4EVER
Choir Member

Lisa's my hero!

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 11:09AM »

Those pictures (board notification icons) also indicate if a child board has any new posts. If you click on the icon, however, it only shows you new posts in the main board. Any easy way to check is that the child board names are bolded on the front page of the forum when they have new posts.
aislin
I understand what you're saying. I used the pictures as an example; but, it also happens on the lower boards that have no child boards...General Disc, Celtic Culture, etc. I'm not complaining - just thought I'd mention it. Smiley

aislin
Administrator
Total Fanatic

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 06:33PM »

aislin
I understand what you're saying. I used the pictures as an example; but, it also happens on the lower boards that have no child boards...General Disc, Celtic Culture, etc. I'm not complaining - just thought I'd mention it. Smiley

Has that always happened? Or is it a recent development?

aislin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: