Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your Songs Are In My Heart ~ Celtic Woman in Düsseldorf  (Read 18394 times)
MaryNorth93
« on: June 19, 2011, 08:37AM »

Warning: I'm that type of person who likes to use 50 words when you could normally use 10  Grin If you haven't time to read all this gibberisch: show was awesome. The End  Grin

How do I begin? Of course I expected something good. But this was just beyond all expectations fantastic.

Well, the journey went fine. It rained a lot, and at a certain moment we came in a cloud burst with lots of thunder which was a bit scary. The sign, a certain Irish group was in town  Roll Eyes We arrived around 17:30 PM, the theater wasn't open yet so I had a lovely stroll with my friends in the park close to the Philipshalle.

At 19:00 PM the hall was opened and we took our seats. One of my friends had ordered her tickets earlier and sat with her mother who drove us in the third row. I sat with my other friend in block C, row 10. Not the best seats, but we had still a good view on stage and later on the ladies. We stilll had an our before the show began, so after reading my progam book twice and studying all the colors and flower details (I'm such an art-noob  Tongue) I started studying to the stage. Kuddos to the stage and light designers for creating such a beautiful stage. The lighting and colors, you gotta love that fine feeling for detail. Especially love how the cottons had light blue light, and darker lights formed a big heart. The show seemed well attended. There were only a few empty chairs on the grandstands. I know how many times the ladies and the crew have told that there is in the show something for everyone and that they have a variated audience, but tonight I finally saw that confirmed for the first time. There were children, teens, mothers, fathers, grandparents, and all from such different types. A few rows before me their were even a few gothic dressed guys with leather jacks and Mohican haircuts excited talking about the LisaK. page in their progam book  Cheesy

Lights went out, my friend who sat by me freaked out (I did too, but since she has ADHD she is a little bit more loud and expressive than I am  Grin) She loves Celtic Woman as much as I do, she only doesn't follow them as closely. So the show contained a little bit more suprises for her than for me, since I had read the most in reviews.

The sound of the wind, the girls who came out with their candles and started to sing Níl S'én Lá. Chloë started to sing and I just couldn't believe it, the ladies were singing right next me.. The dark turned away and the girls gave their candles to the choir. Chloë looked bubbly and lively, LisaK. seemed a little bit tired, yet she was still the fine looking woman. LisaL. was lively and her eyes sparkled full of curiosity. And Máiréad, full of elegance, yet that lively wicked look in her eyes..   Grin

The lights turned orange, and they were some lovely yellow light spots. Fields of Gold followed. With the soft lights, music and flowers on stage you definately had the feeling you walked through Fields of Gold. LisaK. looked stunning and gave a beautiful performance. It's one of the few LK-solo's which had to grow on me over the years. I still don't think this is one of her best, but she did a heck of a job and the mood was peacefull and with joy. It recieved a well appreciate applause.

Blue lights, Anthony coming out. Yeah, it's Galway Bay! Chloë thanked the audience for coming and asked or we already had a great time. I believe the applause gave the right answere  Grin She introduced the song as an Irish classic and told it was very special her. A little bit shorter speech than on the American tour I believe? Well, it's definately my favorite Chloë solo and was very moved by her performance. It reflects so much Irish history. 10/10 missy!

Next song, do I see a silhoutte of a fiddler over there? My friend shouted: 'OH YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!' where several people turned around amused  Cheesy A little ashamed she bows her head, but Máiréad gets the cutest smile and rocks the building with the Coast of Galicia. Already lost count after a few spins, it looked like 20 to me  Shocked The first solo to recieve a standing, eh, sitting ovation  Cheesy

Orinoco Flow follows with an wild aplause. It's never been a huge favorite of mine, but live it's definately much better. Lil Lambe belt out her 'aaah'-part.

Than Lil' Lambe comes out and starts to speak. She looked fresh and gorgeous, and her red hair seems to have a little glow in the lights. It moves softly by the breeze of the windmachine, and she starts to recite the poem for My Lagan Love. I'm not sure or it actually adds something. LL has a lovely speaking voice and the poem was definately beautiful, but if you don't know the story behind My Lagan Love I don't think you'll understand it. Neverless, I was very suprised about how good her version was! She doesn't have the haunting quality of Lynn, but it was very good. She got an appreciative applause.

The stage turns dark and Tommy takes his place on the chair. The first moment to get some chills, The New Ground has always been a huge favorite of mine. It's haunting and moving sound is a wonderfull add to Isle of Hope/Isle of Tears. He gets an warm applause which stops when Chloë comes out. A lovely performance, although I couldn't help of hearing the voices of Lynn and Alex in my head. Neverless, you can't help but thinking of that girl who needed to be so strong at such a young age. A song of hope and courage. Well done ladies.

Missis Kelly remains on stage and introduces the song. The stage turns red and she starts to sing My Heart Was Home Again, a beautiful performance where Lisa Lambe turns in later. But beautiful as it is, somehow it just makes more sense to me as a solo.

The ladies walk away and the audience gets the little blond genius again. Ray and Andy start on their drums and me and my friend immediately recognize it. Granuaile's Dance!  Grin The only thing I didn't like about it is that they've replaced the flute with an percussion. The flute gave it a more mystical sound. But miss Nesbitt rocked the theater and the audience was clapping along.

Goodnight My Angel. Without Lynn's haunting sleep voice and the new arrangement I did not like it at all. It seems more like a Jazz-song now, but you wouldn't say it's a lullaby. Although when LisaK. and Chloë hugged and kissed each other was cute.

Danny Boy followed and before I knew it the drums for Mo Ghile Mear began. I couldn't believe the first half went so soon, it felt like they had played just 6 songs or something  Shocked

Intermission... I tried to spot some forum people but before I knew it me and my friend were dragged out the hall by the many people. We ordered something to drink and we had to return to our seats before I got a chance to try spot people again. This is for the forum people who wondered where I was... well, better luck next time.

The lights turn dark again. And the gorgeous Máiréad begins to play her notes. Lovely performance of The Call. Not a favorite of mine, but somehow the techs nailed it. The background music was very intens.

The lights turn dark and the ladies remain on stage. I didn't understand for a second what was going on, untill I heard a bagpipe from behind. Anthony walking down the path on the stage. He got a warm applause from the audience. The ladies begon and I loved, loved it so much. A song about the Love from the almightly God... thank you John Newton, for this wonderfull piece which still is known in so many countries in the world.

Dulàman.. I'm sorry people, but this will always be Méav's song for me. But of course two this versions can't be compared. Lisa spoke about the song in German and when Ray and Andy entered the stage she said: 'luckily we have the finest pieces of 'Meeresalge' in Ireland! Which had everybody laughing  Cheesy Meeresalge is the German word for seaweed. She danced, spinned, flirted with the guys and obviously had a blast. Loud applause after the end.

Walking The Night/Give Me Your Hand... I was so looking foreward to see Give Me Your Hand live, and it did not dissappoint. This got to be one of my most, it not the most favorite CW-song EVER! There were some really sweet moments where LisaK. and Chloë were really getting into it. And is this world where people can be so cold and unmercifull, we must never forget to reach for the other's hand. It's a song which the worlds needs to hear. Thank you ladies, it was my personal highlight of the evening.

The Moon's a Harsh Mistress... Lisa seemed a little bit in trouble with her voice sometimes, but still a stunning performance. I love the figuratively lyrics, and the dark stage was very fitting.

When You Believe was fine. It will never top for me the power and magic of the original version of the Prince of Egypt, but Chloës little cheer at the end was adorable. At the Ceili followed which has really grown on me over the years. When LisaK.was singing about her desire to find the right guy LisaL. was in the backgrond comforting her rich and poor guy which was hilarious and adorable   Grin Of course one will be refused at the end of the song.. they know it  Roll Eyes Well recieved at the end.

The Last Rose Fantasia... incredible moving and enchanting, got a little bit melachonic. The Mason Apron was fun and joy, and everyone clapped and cheered well along. Máireád has an absolute blast!

Non C'è Più... beautiful, although it felt so incomplete without Lynn and Alex. But neverless, how can such a poetic and beautiful song about the river of life not being well recieved?! The first standing ovation of the evening, and the girls were speechless. Poor LisaL couldn't get over the audience when she tried to introduce 'When Du In Meinen Traümen Bist'  Grin

You Raise Me Up... Máiréad couldn't get over the audience when she tried to introduce it, I'm sorry girls!  Grin Although I prefer this song with the harmony of the original group, it was moving nonetheless. Got another standing ovation.

The Finale rocked the building. Everyone was clapping and cheering along, and it gave me major goosebumps. My friend hadn't heard yet about the extended arrangement and freaked out when she heard it. Irish Harcore ey?   Grin We love it here! The ladies were overwelmed and Chloë thanked the audience. Asking them to sing and clap along with the next song, or whatever you do best. Ayay missy!   Grin I was clapping and dancing along.. what an wonderfull evening, and it went so fast!

About the 4 vs. 5 girls debat...? I agree that I'm not really missing the 4th singer. Although in some group songs there is a bit power missing. If they add a 4th singer I'm not complaining, if they don't I'm not complaining either.

Another observation from my friends.... that I was cheering and clapping along. Normally I'm really reserved, but tonight there was something in the air which made me completely alive. Couldn't care about what others thought of me. I'm knocked to shame. Of course I believed the ladies were great performers and the shows were great, but I've been always a bit septic about the endless enthousiasm and praise. And I realize I have complained a lot about them in the past... I'm glad I'm proven wrong, they're still absolutely incredible. I needed this concert to be reminded again of why I felt in love with Celtic Woman. It worked.

My humble and greatest thanks to all of you ladies.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 11:56AM by MaryN. » Logged
Ben the piper
Bodhrán Player

There can be miracles, when you believe!

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 09:13AM »

Very good review. Love it! Cheesy Can't wait 'til Friday. Cheesy

Dinozzzo
Honorary Roadie

The biggest French Fan

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 09:25AM »

Great review Cheesy !

03/06/2010 : Wallingford, CT, United States
06/28/2011 : Hamburg, Deutschland
09/23/2011 : Paris, France
05/17/2012 : Dusseldorf, Deutschland
10/23/2013 : Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Kaneyoshi

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 10:29AM »

Back from Duesseldorf. It's a reat review from the show. I think the really best audience of all three show's, the I've seen. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

~~~Ready, all to give, so as to feel once again the sun in my heart~~~
Iluvcelticwoman
Featured Soloist

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 11:25AM »

Good Review Mary!!!

MaryNorth93
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 11:30AM »

Thank you all!!! I'm sooooooooooooooooo ready to rock again in Utrecht!  Cheesy
totallylovesCw

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 11:45AM »

Great review

April 16 was the best night i ever had
thank you Julia  for a wonderful banner and Evi for the avatar Smiley
Jeffrey aka Jeff
Jennifer
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 01:39PM »

That was a nice review! Smiley
aNDy
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 12:27AM »

Fantastic Review!! I'm so glad you finally got to see the ladies. And, of course, the rest of the gang Cheesy
Hope you have a great time again in Utrecht!
MaryNorth93
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 06:25AM »

Thank you Jennifer and Andy! I'm having withadrawls already, hope the Dutch show will be attended and enthousiastic enough for them to come back.

A word of interest for fellow girls, the replacement of Nial McGrath (the 'rich' At The Ceili-guy) is very easy on the eye  Grin Does anyone know his name?
MikeyK
Honorary Roadie

Proud Chloëver

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 07:04PM »

Great review, Mary! I'm glad you had this opportunity to remind yourself why you fell in love with these girls by attending your first concert. Its an experience like no other and I'm happy you finally have this experience. Thanks for sharing!  Smiley
MaryNorth93
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 08:21AM »

Thank you very much Mikey!  Cheesy
RoAR
Honorary Roadie

It's far beyond the stars...

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 09:58AM »

Great review! It reminded me of the concert I went, too! It looks like we agree on certain points. For example:
Even the songs I don't like (including Orinoco Flow) were 10X better live!
I remember my excitement shooting throught the roof when they started playing Granuaile's Dance...I really wasn't expecting to hear that one and it's one of my top favorites!
They changed the arangement on Goodnight, My Angel? How sad...
I couldn't believe it when the first half was over either...But I was still super excited to hear Mo Ghile Mear. That's always been one of my favorites
The Call isn't really one of my favorites either. I hadn't heard it before the concert I went to and I had a really hard time listening to them...the arm-waving thing shocked me. Tongue
Méav's version of Dulaman is still my favorite, too.
I want to hear Walking in the Night/Give Me Your Hand again. That was the only time I heard it, but I LOVED it!
The original version of When You Believe is my favorite, too. I think it's because that's the only version I've heard with the Jewish song of praise in the middle. Chloë's version is my second favorite, though.
At the Ceili was the height of my exitement, because, even though I had heard other past songs throughout the night, I believed Nil Se'n La to be the "replacement" song and since I had already heard Nil Se'n La, I was so not expecting it! My cousin and I recognized it in the first 6 notes, and got SUPER excited because we had talked about how much we wished they would sing it during the intermission!
The Finale was AWESOME! I had never heard it before concert night!
I tend to be really reserved, too, but at the concert they couldn't get me to shut up about them between and after the songs, because I was so excited! Grin

Méavaholic
Choir Member

Meav is Ameaving!

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 10:18AM »

Thank you so much for writing this review! Throughout the WHOLE review I was squeeling and happy thoughts of the girls on stage raced through my mind! I was humming the songs as I read about them! Though I do like goodnight my Angel better with Lynn and Alex I didn't think it was that bad. And I do remember at the end of my concert two ladies sitting in front of me looked at me and said "You would think from the way she was screeming and clapping that she was a Justin Beiber Concert" and to that I replied " Justin Beiber would never get ANYTHING CLOSE to  that!" haha thanks again for the review!

Dear Celtic Woman,
I Love you and you are my inspiration.
Thank you Rachael for the Banner it's so lovely!!
MaryNorth93
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 01:29PM »

Great review! It reminded me of the concert I went, too! It looks like we agree on certain points. For example:
Even the songs I don't like (including Orinoco Flow) were 10X better live!
I remember my excitement shooting throught the roof when they started playing Granuaile's Dance...I really wasn't expecting to hear that one and it's one of my top favorites!
They changed the arangement on Goodnight, My Angel? How sad...
I couldn't believe it when the first half was over either...But I was still super excited to hear Mo Ghile Mear. That's always been one of my favorites
The Call isn't really one of my favorites either. I hadn't heard it before the concert I went to and I had a really hard time listening to them...the arm-waving thing shocked me. Tongue
Méav's version of Dulaman is still my favorite, too.
I want to hear Walking in the Night/Give Me Your Hand again. That was the only time I heard it, but I LOVED it!
The original version of When You Believe is my favorite, too. I think it's because that's the only version I've heard with the Jewish song of praise in the middle. Chloë's version is my second favorite, though.
At the Ceili was the height of my exitement, because, even though I had heard other past songs throughout the night, I believed Nil Se'n La to be the "replacement" song and since I had already heard Nil Se'n La, I was so not expecting it! My cousin and I recognized it in the first 6 notes, and got SUPER excited because we had talked about how much we wished they would sing it during the intermission!
The Finale was AWESOME! I had never heard it before concert night!
I tend to be really reserved, too, but at the concert they couldn't get me to shut up about them between and after the songs, because I was so excited! Grin

Mo Ghile Mear is a favorite of mine too  Cheesy It was only the sad realization that the first half was almost over..  Wink Haha, the choreography of the Call shocked me a bit too when I first saw it, but otherwise I don't have any better suggestions for it either  Roll Eyes Walking The Night/Give Me Your Hand is GREAT!  Grin I might pull my hair out if they are not going to record it  Shocked

Yes, the hebrew part in the original version of When You Believe is great. Probably favorite versions depends on which one you hear first, and I have a strong emotional bond with The Prince of Egypt, it's been one of my fave movies since I was six. But Chloë surely does a fine job  Wink Thank your Rachael, for your nice comment! Glad you liked it!  Grin

Thank you so much for writing this review! Throughout the WHOLE review I was squeeling and happy thoughts of the girls on stage raced through my mind! I was humming the songs as I read about them! Though I do like goodnight my Angel better with Lynn and Alex I didn't think it was that bad. And I do remember at the end of my concert two ladies sitting in front of me looked at me and said "You would think from the way she was screeming and clapping that she was a Justin Beiber Concert" and to that I replied " Justin Beiber would never get ANYTHING CLOSE to  that!" haha thanks again for the review!

I don't think the new version of Goodnight My Angel was bad, perhaps I chose my words wrong. The arrangement and setting just seemed a bit out of place to me with the song, like it's a jazz-song in a bar rather than a lullaby. And I'm just very biased to Lynn's part in the song  Wink  But it's of course all personal preference.

Hehe, nice  Grin Although the poor guy is the number 1 of youtube-bashing, I think he would bow in respect if he saw a concert of the ladies. The girls follow him on twitter anyway.

Thank you for your nice comment Brielle! Glad you liked it  Grin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: