Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tommy Martin Videos  (Read 20463 times)
irishgirl

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2011, 11:19AM »

Jim is was probably a whistle that David was playing. I know he plays from some friends in Ireland. The way to tell the difference if the flute is played perpendicular to the mouth/body, kind of pointing to the side. A whistle points straight out of the mouth. Tommy also plays the low whistle in the show and that is the larger, longer, silver one. A hard whistle to play and even harder to make is sound as beautiful as he does!!

Flutes are hard to play and the wooden flute Tommy plays is REALLY hard. You have to have amazing breath control. You should start out with a whistle, often called the tin or penny whistle. It's what almost every Irish musician starts off on as a child.  I want to buy one of the ones Tommy makes. I have a piper friend who wants to get a set of the pipes Tommy makes but needs to save up. He said maybe he should just get Tommy to make him reeds, since his have to be magic considering the sound he gets out of them!! And being able to make them sound perfect in every venue no matter what! A lot of pipers wouldn't even try at places like Red Rocks.
Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2011, 11:54AM »

Yes, you are correct, it would have been a whistle David used, as it was pointing away from him.  I believe it was silver in color.
I don't remember flutes on Tommy's site.  I should have known what a flute is after watching many videos of Ray Thomas with The Moody Blues.  He plays a flute, or did, as he has now retired.
I'll wait and see what Tommy says I should try, but the simpler the better for me as I have never played anything.
Thank you.
Ben the piper
Bodhrán Player

There can be miracles, when you believe!

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2011, 12:39PM »

Jim is was probably a whistle that David was playing. I know he plays from some friends in Ireland. The way to tell the difference if the flute is played perpendicular to the mouth/body, kind of pointing to the side. A whistle points straight out of the mouth. Tommy also plays the low whistle in the show and that is the larger, longer, silver one. A hard whistle to play and even harder to make is sound as beautiful as he does!!

Flutes are hard to play and the wooden flute Tommy plays is REALLY hard. You have to have amazing breath control. You should start out with a whistle, often called the tin or penny whistle. It's what almost every Irish musician starts off on as a child.  I want to buy one of the ones Tommy makes. I have a piper friend who wants to get a set of the pipes Tommy makes but needs to save up. He said maybe he should just get Tommy to make him reeds, since his have to be magic considering the sound he gets out of them!! And being able to make them sound perfect in every venue no matter what! A lot of pipers wouldn't even try at places like Red Rocks.

Tommy makes pipes? What kind of pipes? Do you happen to know?
The reeds don't have to be magic. Cheesy I mean it just depends on quite a few things how well a reed works, you know things like temperature, humidity, if there's mould on them or so etc... Besides, if you have your pipe tuned correctly, the sound is always great. I'm no expert, actually I'm still a beginner on the pipes, considering the fact that I've only started 2 years ago. But this is the stuff I got explained and you soon make the experience yourself.
A piper, like every musician, always wants his instrument to sound perfectly. And well sometimes it seems really hard, but it's not always impossible.

Ok I don't want to be smart here, just talking about my experiences and hope I'm not boring you or talking nonsence. But if you know otherwise, please tell me. Smiley I'm eager to learn new things. Smiley

Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2011, 12:45PM »

Ben - click on the link to his website.  He has photos of the pipes he makes.
Ben the piper
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2011, 02:58PM »

Ah yes, thanks Jim.

Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2011, 03:19PM »

Received a reply from Tommy - he said he sent my cd and he says I should start with a D whistle, so I will order one soon.
Ben the piper
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2011, 03:33PM »

Cool! Can you maybe give us a short review of the songs on the CD please?

Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2011, 11:11PM »

After I get home and get the cd.  Maybe around the end of the month.
Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2012, 01:41PM »

Tommy is playing this week at John D. McGurk's in St. Louis -- there are links on his website.
Here is a clip:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ttQcvwkiM8

I have his cd now and have listened to it a few times.  It is very good.  There are 11 tracks.

And, I have ordered a D whistle.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 01:56PM by Jim M. » Logged
Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2012, 06:10AM »

I talked to Tommy at the Atlanta show and he told me he had mailed my whistle just before he went back on tour so it should be waiting for me at home next time I get there.
Ben the piper
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2012, 07:35AM »

That's cool Jim, have fun playing when you get back! Smiley

Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2012, 06:44PM »

Thank you, Ben.  Looking forward to it.
Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2012, 12:10PM »

I now have the whistle.  It is brass and plastic.  Maybe someday I will be able to play a tune with it.
Ben the piper
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2012, 12:49PM »

You could take it with you on your journeys and when you have time practise a little bit Smiley

Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2012, 01:00PM »

That is my plan. Smiley
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: