Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Believe taping: Some Observations & Ruminations  (Read 6466 times)
bobh56
Honorary Roadie

« on: September 10, 2011, 10:21PM »

My Fellow Forumites:

As always, Scott has given us outstanding reviews of both nights of the Believe DVD recording in Atlanta.  His detailed summaries of both nights provide not only a magnificent chronology of the shows, but also give us his knowledgeable insights, which greatly improve one’s understanding of what transpired.  So, I’ll offer him a hearty “well done” and “thanks” for helping me to relive the magic of those nights.  Also, as has been my occasional practice in the past, I’ll provide a few of my own observations/feelings regarding my participation in the Believe DVD recordings rather than provide another blow-by-blow summary of the events.

•   Although I now live in northern Vermont, I’m a New Yorker by birth, outlook, and demeanor.  So, I would have preferred Celtic Woman’s first (and perhaps only) DVD recording in the United States to have been at either Radio City Music Hall or Carnegie Hall.  Despite my preference, Atlanta’s Fox Theater, the inside of which is beautiful, and borders on the surreal, was an outstanding venue for this extravaganza.

•   These shows marked my 19th and 20th Celtic Woman Concerts, and I’ve treasured each and every one of them.  That said, it’s hard to put into words how spectacular the Believe Show is; stringing together superlatives sounds ridiculous after a fashion.  Over the two nights, I heard, and used, words like “fantastic”, “superb”, and “phenomenal”.  None of these quite capture how good it truly is.  I don’t know how they do it, but (in my opinion at least), the Celtic Woman, and their entire team just keep getting better, and (again, in my opinion) there’s no end in sight, which is great for us Fans.

•   My enjoyment of the shows was greatly enhanced by meeting and talking with many of my Fellow Forumites.  Getting a chance to discuss the Celtic Woman phenomena with Scott, Roy, and others, and meet with Kathleen, Maggie, and several others whose names escape me (Sorry about that) was a bonus that helped make the two days even more special.

•   Before getting into a few observations about the shows themselves, I must acknowledge the professionalism and competence of the crew responsible for recording the shows.  In particular, the Stage Director, who kept the show flowing smoothly and with minimal interruptions while imparting a great deal of humor and levity, and the Steady-Cam Crew, who performed their tasks with a level of precision and choreography that rivaled the best ballet performers I’ve seen.

•   As Scott mentioned, one of the major reasons for Celtic Woman’s success is the camaraderie, friendship, and love that they all have for one another.  This is not confined to the soloists; the entire CW Team (e.g., Band, Choir, and Crew) has the same feelings.  Moreover, the feeling is contagious because it was clear during the shows that the Orchestra, Children’s Choir, and audience felt it as well.

•   It was great to see Rosemary, Ann, Catherine, and Una back on the Celtic Woman stage.  One particularly endearing moment during the second day’s show was when Rosemary came out on stage prematurely.  She got a round of applause, only to realize that she was in the right place at the wrong time.  Not missing a beat, she scurried off behind the curtain when she realized her mistake, but not before the audience gave her another round of applause.

•   September 6th is Ray’s Birthday, so it was great, and appropriate, that the audience sang Happy Birthday to him, which he graciously accepted as the showman he is.

•   Another endearing, and fun, part of both shows was when Chloe and Lisa K. taught the audience the chorus for Green Grow the Rushes.  After teaching us the words, they proceeded to rehearse several times for our soon to come debut as Celtic Woman back-up singers.  Those episodes were an absolute blast.

•   Over the years, I’ve heard several artists sing Black is the Color, including Joan Baez, Pete Seeger, Niamh Parsons, and Cara Dillon.  Lisa L’s version was one of (if not) the best versions of this lovely song. 

•   Mairead was her typical whirling dervish self through the show.  I particularly enjoyed the energetic number she did with the Irish dancer (who was great).

•   Lisa K’s The Water is Wide was the most beautiful version of this lovely song that I’ve ever heard.

•   Every time Celtic Woman comes out with a new DVD or concert tour they do something that reduces me to a near blubbering idiot.  (Considering I’m 6’6”, tip the scales at around 280 lbs, have bounced in biker bars, and am generally known as a guy who can take care of himself and others in any situation, this is not an easy thing to do.)  CW had Nella Fantasia, ANJ had Danny Boy, IOH had O, America!, and SFTH had Amazing Grace and Galway Bay.  During the Believe Show, I started getting misty with Chloe’s version of Tears In Heaven, the group version of Circle of Life kept me going, and by the time Chloe finished with Ave Maria I’m not ashamed to say I was a wreak.  Don’t get me wrong, these are not particularly sad songs, but the shear power and beauty of the Ladies’ delivery of those numbers had a very strong effect on me.

All in all, I am very glad that I was able to share the Believe DVD recording experience with those Forumites who were lucky enough to attend, as well as those who read this topic.  The only disturbing thing is that I have to wait until December to see how the DVD turns out.

Be well,

Bob

The Impatient New Yorker
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 05:14AM »

Great review. I can't wait to hear Chloë's tears in heaven. (it's ok I'll be bawling too). I'm also a new yorker by birth but i live in ct

I've met Lisa L, Lynn(2x), Susan, Mairead C(2x), Mairead N (2x), Edel, Sarah, Nick, Craig, Anthony, Maggie, and Tommy
Scott

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 07:04AM »

Bob, it was great to experience that second night beside you.  And it was great talking about music with you.  That breakfast conversation we had will always be one of my endearing memories of the trip.  I hope we get to take in a show together again. Smiley

Pete Seeger did Black Is the Color?

bobh56
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 07:26AM »

Pete Seeger did Black Is the Color?

On the flight to New York, I was trying to recall all the artists that I've heard do the song, and he kept creeping into my memory.  So, I looked through a few CDs when I got all the way home to Vermont, and found it on his American Favorite Ballads, Vol. 2 CD.  (BTW, The Water Is Wide is also on the CD.)  Nicely done, and I mean no disrespect towards the Old Master, but I much prefer Lisa L's rendition.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 08:05PM by bobh56 » Logged
kathleen
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 07:51AM »

Great insight Bob! It was a pleasure meeting you. Glad you could make the trip to Atlanta and witness a great show. I can't wait for the DVD.

Kathleen

user102079

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 11:22AM »

Hello,

I was honored to be there both nights!! It was incredible, amazing, life changing and I will NEVER EVER forget it. One of the moments (there are many) I remember is Mairead's violin bow stings breaking off at the bottom end. She shows such passion through her violin!!!  Those girls are sooooooooooooooooo amazing!!!

Daniel
MikeyK
Honorary Roadie

Proud Chloëver

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 11:55PM »

Nice observations, Bob! I'll admit, I got quite teary during many of the songs, also, so you're not alone! Thanks for sharing!
Scuilly

There can be miracles...When You Believe!!

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 06:21PM »

It's great reading your observation on the Believe show! Thank you for sharing your thoughts. It brings back the wonderful memories of those two days!

Kelly
Kimberly AJ
Choir Member

Chloë Agnew will always be my VBIF forever~!

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 04:22PM »

Are there going to be the same ceili dresses including Chloe's that first appeared in Songs from the Heart?

LOOK OUT! ROGUE ROBOTS!
Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 09:03PM »

No, Kimberly, the dresses are different in the "Believe" show.
CelticWomanAddict
Total Fanatic

You'll Never Walk Alone

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 06:42PM »

I can't wait to see that song where they dance barefoot

The Impatient New Yorker
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 08:07PM »

I can't wait to see that song where they dance barefoot

neither can I

I've met Lisa L, Lynn(2x), Susan, Mairead C(2x), Mairead N (2x), Edel, Sarah, Nick, Craig, Anthony, Maggie, and Tommy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: