Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A David Downes Pre-CW Project: Fir na Keol  (Read 9267 times)
bobh56
Honorary Roadie

« on: September 11, 2011, 06:12PM »

During our delightful breakfast conversation on the second day of the Believe DVD recording extravaganza, I mentioned to Scott that in the late 1990s David Downes and David Agnew (Chloe’s Dad) released a few CDs under the name Fir na Keol; he had not heard about this association.  So, I checked through the various CWF topics and, although there’s a passing reference or two to Fir na Keol, there doesn’t appear to be a topic specifically devoted to it.  That said, here goes.

From the CD album description:  Every now and then something happens, a new chemistry a new sound.  Fir na Keol are David Agnew (Oboe and Cor Anglais) and David Downes (Whistles, Pipes and Keyboards), two of Ireland’s finest musicians, from different yet similar backgrounds, combining old and new, from traditional to innovative music.  For those of you not totally up to speed with Irish language Fir na Keol is a slightly phonetic way of saying “Men of Music”…and indeed they are!

As best I can tell, there are three Fir na Keol CDs available from various sources (including Amazon):  Celtic Moods; Pure Celtic Moods; and Celtic Christmas.  I have the first two; they’re excellent.  Also, all of the CDs have a bit of CW cross over – Mairead plays on Celtic Moods, and Meav sings on Pure Celtic Moods and Celtic Christmas.  I’ve also read on a few Celtic music websites that Ann Myler-Dunphy may provide some vocals on Celtic Christmas, but I don’t have that CD, so I can’t confirm.    
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 02:12PM by bobh56 » Logged
hayleynibhaoleafh<3'scelticwoman!
Honorary Roadie

U can have my <3, if U don't mind broken things...

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 06:55PM »

Oh, why thank you for sharing this information! I am quite interesting in perhaps purchasing these in the near future if at all possible.

Loooooove Hayley xxx
~~~~~~~Maybe it's not about the happy endings... maybe it's about the story...~~~~~~
Friend are angels ~*~ Cherish them
beckyw

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 09:47AM »

I have Celtic Moods and A Celtic Christmas.  I'll have to check on pure Celtic Moods.

Celtic Moods

Mo Ghile Mear
Katie
Lift the Wings
Move On
Into the Mist
Death Of Richard-In-Irons
Riverdance
Celtic Dawn
Winter's End
Airwaves
Bright Blue Rose
My Lagan Love
In This Heart
Still Haven't Found What I'm looking For
My Rathfarnham Darlin's

A Celtic Christmas

Ding Dong Merrily On High
Deck The Halls
Winter Wonderland
Have Yourself A Merry LIttle Christmas
White Christmas
An Irish Christmas
Little Drummer Boy
Good King Wenceslas
Away In A Manger
Silent Night
The Christmas Song
God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
Jingle Bells
Happy Xmas (War Is Over)

Some people come into our lives and quickly go.  Some stay for awhile, leave footprints on our hearts and we are never ever the same.
beckyw

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 09:59AM »

http://www.last.fm/music/Fir+Na+Keol

This mentions 4 albums

Heart's Quest
Celtic Moods
Pure Celtic Moods
A Celtic Christmas

Pure Celtic Moods

1. Gabriel's Oboe 
2. Heartland 
3. Atlantic Crossing
4. She Moved Thru' the Fair
5. Caledonia 
6. Reel Low Whistle   
7. Celtic Prayer 
8. Lannigan's Ball and the Kerry Dances 
9. Homecoming   
10. The Skye Boat Song   
11. St. Patrikc's Bresatplate 
12. Riverdance   
13. The Road to Glenaan 
14. Raglan Road 
15. Gaglic Blessing   
16. Theme from Scent of a Woman 

« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 10:22AM by beckyw » Logged

Some people come into our lives and quickly go.  Some stay for awhile, leave footprints on our hearts and we are never ever the same.
cwfan99

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 04:20PM »

With the exception of the Christmas CD, Most of these three CDs are compiled into the 3 CD set called "The Very Best of the Oboe" by David Agnew. It's available from Celtic Collections...

The "Oboe" collection does not specify any artists, but it's the same music.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: