Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Believe Was Unbelievable , Sept. 6th 2011, Atlanta, GA  (Read 6608 times)
MikeyK
Honorary Roadie

Proud Chloëver

« on: September 13, 2011, 05:12PM »

Fan Gathering
Tuesday started off with a huge fan gathering by members of the Máiréad forum. And before I begin I want to say a big thank you to Mike and Scott for organizing the whole thing and for taking care of arranging everything. It was a huge success, I had so much fun, and it was all thanks to the hard work of you two. Thank you.

Our two event coordinators, Mike filming while Scott makes an announcement

It was an informal meet, where fans could come and go as they please, but many of us were there for much of the day. There was food and tables and chairs where we all could mingle, and mingle I did. There were so many people who I’ve met from all the concerts I’ve been to, and so many others who I met for the first time, that there was never a dull moment and always someone to chat with. I had a really fun time and it was amazing to have that many forum members in one room. I don’t know what the total was for the day, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was over 100. And I was told that maybe one-third of the people that showed up were not part of the forums and just wandered in off the street. Any opportunity to show newcomers how us forumites do a show is a good one.

The main reason for the gathering was to conduct interviews for a documentary about the fans of Celtic Woman. I did my part, and hopefully it turns out well. At the conclusion of the event was a group sing of You Raise Me Up, with us fans singing to, of course, those marvelous girls of Celtic Woman. Despite me being in it (haha Wink), it sounded really good from where I was, and I guess it’s no surprise that people with such excellent taste in music can all carry a tune so well.

Our talented forum musicians, practicing for the big performance

Exclusive Merchandise
While I don’t think they are the prettiest shirts CW has ever come up with (I think the 2011 spring SFTH shirts hold that title) they still looked pretty cool, and exclusive means exclusive, after all, so I just had to buy them. And the poster wasn’t much different from the SFTH tour poster, but like I said earlier, exclusive means exclusive (I think I’ve made my point Wink).

Black shirt, front “Celtic Woman PBS Special Take 1”

Black shirt, back “Celtic Woman Live from the Fabulous Fox Theatre Atlanta, Georgia September 6th-7th 2011”

Gray shirt, front

Gray shirt, front, close-up “Celtic Woman Live”

Gray shirt, back “The Fox Theatre Atlanta, Georgia September 6th-7th 2011”

Poster “Celtic Woman Live The Fox Theatre Atlanta, Georgia September 6th-7th 2011

The Choir
The choir this time was a ten-piece choir, down from twelve from previous DVDs, six girls and four guys. The girls were Ann Myler, Catherine Neylan, Eimear McCarthy, Máiréad MaGuire, Rosemary Collier, and Una Pedreschi. And the guys were Andrew Nangle, Cary Posavitz, Colm Keegan, and Dermot Kiernan.

Guest Choir
A children’s choir was used in the show, and I think they were in 3 or 4 songs. They were adorable, and very talented. Every time they left the stage Chloë didn’t want to see them leave and you could tell that she, and the rest of the girls, just loved them all over.

The Band
Aside from David Downes playing the piano the rest of the band was the same as the Songs from the Heart spring tour with Ray Fean and Andy Reilly on drums, Eoghan O’Neill on bass guitar, Ewan Cowley on guitars, Tommy Martin on uilleann pipes, whistles, and I even think he played the bouzouki, and Anthony Byrne on bagpipes. I think Anthony was in three or four songs, maybe five, and he does make another surprise appearance, when he started a song from the balcony.

Guest Band
Another guest pipe band was used, like on the SFTH DVD, and I think they were in one or two songs. There was already a harpist in the orchestra, but a second harpist was also used in one or two of the songs.

Guest Irish Dancer
Something new was added that Celtic Woman has never had before, an Irish dancer, Michael Patrick Gallagher. He was in at least two numbers and was very good, a welcome addition to the show.

The Dresses
I’m not a big design or artsy person so I won’t go into a lot of detail about the dresses because I don’t remember that much. They were a lot like the SFTH dresses, in that they were more slender and simpler in the first act, and more grand and more Disney princess-ish in the second. For the first act they were pretty light colors, Máiréad’s dress was like a tan or a white, Chloë’s was like a powdery pink, Lisa K’s was, I want to say some kind of red, like something from her A New Journey Act II dress?, or maybe not, and Lisa L’s was like a light purple, I think. They did use special céili dresses for their céili number, and they were all the same color, like a green or a light green, I think, and the material was not one that I had seen them use before, the best way I can describe them is that they looked shinier, maybe something close to Órla’s Helix dress, but they were definitely more robe-like, similar to the céili dresses used in SFTH. I don’t remember much about the colors of the second act dresses, but I thik they were, maybe, golds and silvers. One thing I do remember, Chloë was not in her pink princess dress. Another thing I remember, and I’m not sure which act it was, I think it was the first act, where the dresses had a decoration on the stomach that was sparkly and resembled the shape of a heart. And even the choir girls had their own fair share of dresses. I think they were purple in one act and black in the other, or maybe they were purple with black trim in the first act and black in the other, or maybe black was their céili dresses. I wish I remembered more.

The Stage
Ray and Andy’s drum sets were elevated like in SFTH, but instead of them being on their own pedestals they were on a higher level of the stage, towards the back, with the front of the stage being the normal stage level. On the back of the second level, in the middle, was an archway where the girls and choir would come out from backstage, and they also had their usual entrances on both sides of the lower level. The second level had three staircases, one right in the middle, in front of the archway, that led towards the center of the stage, and one on each side of the stage, in front of the drum sets, that led towards the left and right parts of the stage. In front of the two staircases that led outwards was where the orchestra sat. It looked smaller than the one from SFTH, maybe 20-25 members. The band was in their usual positions on stage, with Eoghan, Ewan, and Tommy on audience right, stage left, and David on the other side. Like on the SFTH DVD the middle of the stage came out towards the audience, but not as much. There were three pit rows, and they were split into two portions, as the stage took the space that would have been used for the middle part of it. Both outer ends of the stage came forward, as well, and it made the stage create almost a semi-oval around each side of the pit. In the second act I noticed the curtains were purple, either they turned on more lights for that act or they were already there in the first act and I didn’t notice them. There were several cameras setup in the theater, two behind me in the orchestra, one on a long crane on the left and one stationary on the right, another one on a crane behind the stage, audience right, stage left, another carried by a guy with a harness, who would walk on stage to get close-ups as well as walk the area separating the pit and the orchestra, and maybe one or two more in the balcony.
MikeyK
Honorary Roadie

Proud Chloëver

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 05:13PM »

The Show “Believe”
The way that I want to do my review of the show is all from my memory. I haven’t read any other reviews, and since I don’t remember the entire set list or the names of all the songs, they will not all be listed here. If I can find a review with a full set list and the names of all the songs, I’ll try and post a link to it at the end. And this is just a review of the first show, Tuesday the 6th, because I wasn’t there on Wednesday.

Before the show began one of the PBS representatives came out and said a few words. Then Scott Porter came out and said a few words of his own. It was the first time I’ve ever seen Scott in person and it was awesome. One of the crew then came out, and I’m going to say he was the director, because he gave us directions on what do to in certain situations. We were told much the same Chloë tells us before every show, that they wanted to see us dancing, clapping, smiling and singing along. He also said that before some songs he would count down from 10 to 4, and at 5 we were supposed to applaud and cheer loudly, to get the audience sound effects before each song. He would go, “7, 6, 5!, 4!” and we’d start cheering at 5 and the song would start a few seconds later. The director also noticed some empty seats in the lower orchestra so he instructed the ushers to bring some lucky people from the orchestra forward, to occupy those seats. There were 2-4 minute breaks in between every song while they reset the stage. Some songs David would be conducting while standing up, and others he would be conducting while playing the piano, so his music stand would be brought out or put away, depending on its need. Tommy did one number from center stage, and another from the upper level from the stage, and a stool for him would need to be brought out. Sometimes the girls would start the song onstage, other times they would start them from backstage, and same with the choir. The children’s choir would need to be brought out and brought backstage, Michael’s dancing platform would need to be brought out and put away, cameras locations would need to be changed, etc. Just some examples of what took place while they were resetting the stage. The band came onstage and moved to their positions, with roaring applause from the audience, and then David took his place at the piano, and we all stood up and gave him a standing ovation before a single note was played. That was awesome. And then the show began. It started a little late, around 7:37, and finished around 10:20, so it was a bit longer than a typical tour show.

The show started much like the past DVDs, with a big group number, involving all the girls and the choir. It was a song I didn’t recognize, but later it was confirmed by Scott on Twitter that it was an original composition called Awakening. Then it was a Lisa Kelly solo, and again it was one that I didn’t recognize. A Máiréad solo was next, and so far I was zero for three, because I didn’t recognize it either. It was along the lines of Granuaile’s Dance and Coast of Galaçia with a slower opening part and a faster closing part. At this point I don’t remember the order of the songs. But eventually David was at the piano and Lisa Kelly was alone on stage and I thought it would be the “Lisa and David song” for the show. The music started and the song turned into My Heart Was Home Again, one that I was really happy to hear because it was one of the songs on my list that I was hoping would be included in the new show. I would have liked for it to stay a solo number, because I think it works best as a solo, but even as a duet it is still a beautiful number, and eventually Lisa Lambe joined in, making it the first ever “Lisa’s and David song.”

Lisa Lambe’s first solo of the night would turn out to be Black is the Color. Even though the song is about a guy singing about a girl, I bet all the guys in the audience wished it was about a girl singing about a guy, because Lisa was her usual flirty and seductive self. It also made me happy that I have black hair, just in case. Wink Give Me Your Hand was performed in the first act, including Tommy’s pipe solo for the intro, and that was also on my list of songs I wanted them to include. I was so happy that they did, that I started singing along to the parts that I knew and Chloë saw me and gave me a smile (yay! Chloë smile!).

Throughout the night the girls gave introductions to some of the songs, much like they did during the SFTH tour. They weren’t as lengthy but it was still nice to hear their voices. To setup the next song, they had the younger members of the children’s choir sit on the center staircase with the older members sitting on the ledge of the upper level. Chloë and Lisa K came out and sat with the kids on the stairs. Lisa L made her introduction then joined the other girls with the kids on the stairs. It was a precious sight to see. And from there they performed Bridge Over Troubled Water.

Chloë performed her first solo with Máiréad accompaniment towards the beginning of the first act. Her second solo was towards the end of the first act, and this one had the children’s choir for accompaniment. It was called Tears in Heaven. After the show I overheard other forum members say how Chloë became emotional during this song and started to cry. I didn’t notice any of it, because Chloë did such a wonderful job with the song that I started to cry, myself. As the children’s choir left the stage Chloë just smiled at them as they walked off, and anyone could tell she just adored them.

Towards the end of the first act, they performed a tribute to a couple of broadway songs, the first one was I Dreamed a Dream and the second was Circle of Life from The Lion King. They were performed as one song, with a transition between the two, and they were beautiful. I was so happy to hear they performed another Disney song because I love Disney songs, and they always perform them so wonderfully!

The new céili number was performed at the end of the first act. And while the girls were getting into their dresses the director took the opportunity to get more audience applause sounds for the DVD. First he had us doing quiet golf claps, then announced that gas was only $1.50 a gallon and we all roared into applause and cheers, and then he said gas was only $0.50 a gallon and we clapped even louder! It was a funny way to get us to applaud, but of course if he wanted us to clap the loudest all he needed to do was have one of the girls on stage Wink but since they were off changing I know he did the best he could. The new céili number was very fun, and, again, was about the girls looking for a guy. The Irish dancer, Michael, was one of the guys and we got our first glimpse of how amazing he was, and I noticed all the girls were not wearing shoes for this number, adding a bit to the fun. I even thought I saw Lisa L break out the spoons for a short bit somewhere during the song. A fun one for sure.

There was a 15-20 minute intermission where I got to speak to more forumites about how amazing the show was, and I even saw the PBS people on the stage, recording the spiel for their pledge breaks.

The second act started and Lisa Kelly and Chloë walked onto the stage, looking beautiful in their new dresses. Then all of a sudden the other side of the audience started to sing happy birthday to Ray, since it was his birthday. The rest of us chimed in and when it was over, Lisa said, “this wouldn’t be the first time we’ve had to hold up the show because of Ray.” Cheesy I just love that Lisa. The two of them then went on to say how they wanted us to participate in singing along in a song later in the show, Green Grow the Rushes. With the assistance of David at the piano, they taught us the lyrics to the chorus, and they even had a little competition to see who sang it better, just for fun. The left side of the audience was Team Chloë and the right side was Team Lisa. You’ll probably get a different answer depending on who you ask, but if you ask me, Team Lisa won. Wink Truthfully, though, we were all winners because we were all there to experience that amazing night. Green Grow the Rushes turned out to be the second or third song in the act.

Lisa K’s second solo turned out to be The Water is Wide. I’ve been waiting for them to do that one, and Lisa sang it beautifully. For Lisa L’s second solo, it started with a familiar drum beat, and eventually I recognized it as A Spaceman Came Traveling! I was hoping to one day see that one live. I’m glad they included it. Chloë’s final solo of the night ended up being one she has performed before, just a different version. It was Ave Maria but the Schubert version, not the Bach one. For this song one of the cellists from the orchestra came forward to accompany Chloë. Another cellist had come forward earlier in the show for the first of the two cello solos that night, and I want to take the time here to say that they were really nice. A couple of forumites in the front row had a chance to chat with them before the songs started, and one of them even joked, that if his bow flew out of his hands someone better be ready to catch it! Let me end this little tangent by saying that everyone involved in the Celtic Woman show, cast and crew, are the nicest people in the business. Chloë finished her song and it was beautiful. Máiréad’s final solo of the night was much like her second act solos of the past, one slower ballad followed immediately by much quicker-paced toe tapper that you just can’t help but clap along to. Michael joined Máiréad, and at times they were caught in a duel, between Michael’s tap-dancing and Máiréad’s fiddling. They were both winners though, because both of their performances were brilliant. It was something very new to a CW show and also something very awesome. Hopefully Michael will join them on tour. For those who are curious, there was no “trio” number with Máiréad, Ray, and Andy.

The last unreleased song I wanted them to perform was finally done in the second act, Walking the Night. I’m really happy we now have all the songs from the Songs from the Heart set on a recording, because they are much too good not to be. You’ll Never Walk Alone was performed sometime during the second act. Another breathtaking number. The Danny Boy replacement ended up being Smile, as the a cappella number with Máiréad, which was simply beautiful, and the finale ended up being The Parting Glass. A wonderful closing to a wonderful show. They had confetti cannons setup around the stage for the finale, and they went off just as the song ended, with Anthony and pipe band and all. Just as a keepsake, I took some of the confetti home with me. And in case someone thinks I’m a geek for doing so, it’s not like I picked it up off the ground or anything, it fell in my bag. Yep, that’s what I’ll tell them… Wink

After the show, us forumites wandered over to a restaurant right next to the theater for our post-show mingle. We were upstairs, but a few minutes after we got there, many of the band, choir, and even David himself, came in and had their own little gathering downstairs. For the most part we left them alone, and it was cool to see them all out and about like that.

One thing I was hoping they would include in the show that they didn’t was the band solo bits during the finale, like the ones they did during the SFTH tour. I thought it would have been neat if it was included on a DVD. Nonetheless, it was an absolutely amazing show. David has composed a winner once again, and no one will be disappointed with the outcome.

One observation I made during the show, was that the big “dancy” numbers, like Níl Sé’n Lá, Mo Ghile Mear, and At the Céili were not it in, and even Máiréad’s solos and the new céili number were a bit more calm and laid back than those of previous shows. And I though it helped give the new show a more personal, intimate feeling, like the girls were performing to just one person, or to the individual rather a group, with the simple inspirational message to believe. I don’t know if it was intended or not but that’s the way I felt and it was done very well, regardless.

This was certainly a massive, once-in-a-lifetime event. Not just because of the taping, that’s only part of the reason. The other part was by the huge number of forum members that were present at one show. I’ve heard others say, that this was the largest forum gathering ever assembled, and it will probably never be duplicated, and I would say that they are right. From meeting up with Rachel in Phoenix and meeting Cindy at the airport in Atlanta, to spotting Gary in the hotel lobby and running into Scott T on my way to the train station while heading home, I was seeing forum folk everywhere. Even while checking into the hotel and harmless little trips on the elevator I was meeting faces who I hadn’t seen yet that day. Non forum members were very chatty as well, and I was striking up conversations even while crossing the street. I think it is a true statement when I say, we are more than just forum members, we are more than forum friends, that we are a forum family, and I am just left speechless, to know that I am a part of this special group. To everyone who is a part of the CW online community, you guys rock. It was an incredible day and the most fun I’ve probably ever had. The Fabulous Fox Theatre certainly lived up to its name is so many ways.

I found a review with a more detailed description of the set list by Mr. Peabody. I hope Mike doesn’t mind me linking to his review:
Awesome in Atlanta – Part 2, Believe night 1
SusanZ
CWF Global Moderator
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 06:48PM »

Love the pics,love the review!!

Thanks, Mikey!

Zee

"We create our tomorrows by what we dream today"
Thanks Hayley for the great banner!!
Ncoua
Total Fanatic

Sup!

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 08:48PM »

Great review!!
Jennifer
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 08:57PM »

Loved the review and pictures! Smiley
JuanV

Lynn, you're the best!

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 10:29PM »

Awesome review Mikey! I enjoyed the pictures as well. Smiley
John910

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 10:59PM »

Awesome review!!
Ben the piper
Bodhrán Player

There can be miracles, when you believe!

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 05:17AM »

Awesome review and great pics! Thanks Mikey! Smiley

WinterLament

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 05:41AM »

Thanks for the reviews!! Smiley Smiley

Really wish I was there!
carl

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 06:08AM »

[ ... the largest gathering of Forum Members ... }

Probably true Smiley

Also, this is probably the only time that CW will play in front of such an avid and adoring crowd Smiley
Scuilly

There can be miracles...When You Believe!!

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 06:23AM »

[ ... the largest gathering of Forum Members ... }

Probably true Smiley

definitely true!

Kelly
The Impatient New Yorker
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 07:20AM »

yay, great review, I can't wait for the tour

I've met Lisa L, Lynn(2x), Susan, Mairead C(2x), Mairead N (2x), Edel, Sarah, Nick, Craig, Anthony, Maggie, and Tommy
MikeyK
Honorary Roadie

Proud Chloëver

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2011, 07:06PM »

Thanks for the nice words, everyone! Glad you all enjoyed it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: