Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orla in Chattanooga 9-27-11 (long)  (Read 3027 times)
NJ

« on: September 28, 2011, 08:38PM »

Tuesday nights in September couldn’t get much more terrific.  The first Tuesday we spent in Atlanta enjoying the taping of Celtic Woman’s new DVD/PBS special and the last Tuesday we spent with Orla in Chattanooga!   Not seeing a review for the Memphis concert, I suppose this is the first one for the autumn tour.  Orla’s concert was the first for the 2011-2012 Patten Performance Series at the UTC Fine Art Center.  Definitely a tremendous way to start the season. 
We walked in to an almost empty lobby in front of the Roland Hayes Concert Center for our meet and greet.  One other couple and two gentlemen were there. One of the gentlemen introduced himself as the PBS representative and that he would direct us to the meet and greet.  That’s right five of us for the meet and greet.  In a few minutes the center’s director came over and said he would take us down to meet Orla.  After an elevator ride to the first floor he lead us to a dark area, which we thought would be a back stage area – no we were actually be lead out to the stage!  Several workers were checking lights and finishing sound check as we were invited to look around while we waited. 
As we were all looking around we suddenly hear this sweet voice come up behind us saying, “I’m so sorry I’m late.  Sound check took longer than we thought.”  Orla dressed in a lavender blouse, jeans and cute orange shoes quickly made us all feel at home.  She greeted the other couple, and received a cute wee leprechaun the woman had made for her.   She thanked her and said it would travel with her the rest of the tour.
Next it was our turn, she walked up to me, reach out and took my hand saying, “We’ve met before, having we?”   What a wonderful memory as we had met, but it had been a number of years earlier.  We enjoyed several minutes of pleasant conversation and had pictures taken.  With a last hug, she said, “I will see you after the show, won’t I?”  We assured her she would.  After a few more pleasantries she thanked us all for coming and was off to relax and prepare for the show. 
The Theater
The Roland Hayes Concert Hall is an intimate theater seating about 500.  The seats are steeply tiered in a semi-circle.   While almost every seat has a great view of the stage, this type of venue makes me quite dizzy when I have to walk down the stairs (especially with no hand rail) or try to stand for an ovation.  I could see me toppling over the poor folks in front of me.  It’s small size though makes you feel like you’re sitting in the living room with several of your closes friends and Orla is singing just for you.
The Concert
Tin Cup Gypsy took the stage and our magical musical night was underway.  They performed a set of five songs which included: Ain’t That Peculiar?; She Just Is; Death Come Knocking; To the Sea; and Chase the Sun.  After a few moments of lights down, a voice came over the loud speaker introducing Orla.  Immediately strains of Mo Ghile Mear filled the room and we were transported to another dimension of peace and happiness.  The first song set continued with Distant Shore, Two Sisters, Ah Mhighdean Mhara, Morning Has Broken, Eleanor Plunkett, Trip to Shanbally, Michael O’Dwyer’s, Spanish Lady, The Tennessee Waltz and closed with Soul Cake.
Yes, The Tennessee Waltz was a surprise.  Orla said they had tried it in Memphis with success and decided to try it again.  She did admit to only knowing the first verse, so we would not be imagining things if we heard it repeated.  The work up on it was wonderful and definitely a keeper for her and the band.
At intermission Tin Cup Gypsy were up at their merchandise table selling goods, but more importantly sharing with the audience about the show so far.  A nice touch.
The second half opened with the Down By the River to Pray, Man of Constant Sorrow and I’ll Fly Away.  This had the audience rocking.  This selection was followed by Both Sides Now and Orla sharing about the recent passing of her cousin.  The delightful Dancing in the Moonlight was next, followed by Simple Love. To soon we knew the show would be ending still we were to enjoy Red is the Rose, Ni Na La, Isle of Inisfree finishing with I’ll Tell Me Ma.  The audience were on their feet at the end of this fast paced song as Orla and company waved bye and scampered off stage.  The thunderous applause continued until Orla and all returned.  Suddenly, we are hearing music we had only recently heard – sure enough it’s The Parting Glass.   With several moments featuring various performers and some high step dancing by Amberly our lovely night of music came to an end.
After the Show
We took our time leaving the theater, savoring the last few moments looking at the stage and already letting our memories embrace us.  In the lobby, several folks were visiting, buying cd’s and getting autographs from Tin Cup Gypsy.  After about ten minutes, from a back corner here comes Orla.  The crowd does a collective ohhh and breaks into applause. As she was passing me I get this look of how was it?  I gave her my biggest smile and nodded yes!, then gave  her two thumbs up.  Her smile absolutely brighten. 
Another table and chair has been added in the area, however the lovely Orla doesn’t even venture near the chair.  She immediately greeted folks, spending a few moment chatting and having countless photos snapped. We hung back for a while since we had had such a personal meet and greet.  It seemed only fair to let others enjoy meeting Orla. 
When we did greet Orla, we received more hugs and were asked if we enjoyed the concert.  Which lead to conversation about our favorite songs.  After a few private words – which we will treasure and yet another hug we told Orla goodbye, wished her well on a continued successful tour.   
Other notes:
Though this concert was on the campus of University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, the average age of the audience was probably 65 or more.  We saw only two children and maybe 40 – 60 college age folks.  Orla dedicated one song to one of the little girls, saying she was amazed the girl was still awake at the late hour.
With each song, Orla shared stories either about the song itself or why it was special to her.  Really adds to the enjoyment of each song and you recall her special comments each time you hear those songs later.
Amberly and Dan were very positive additions in the show as well as the group Tin Cup Gypsy.  An absolutely wonderful evening with a delightful songstress.
MikeyK
Honorary Roadie

Proud Chloëver

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 06:01PM »

Great review, NJ! What a way to kick off the reviews for Órla's fall tour! Thanks for sharing!
greenfire6
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 09:32PM »

Outstanding review NJ! It is no small task to write a review that captures the night. For me you really captured it!

Thanks for taking the time to "take us along" on your incredible evening with the incomparable Órla Fallon and her marvelous bandmates.
SusanZ
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 11:04AM »

Thank you for a wonderful review! An Orla concert definitely makes for a memorable evening and shouldn't be missed!

Zee

"We create our tomorrows by what we dream today"
Thanks Hayley for the great banner!!
Starman
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 07:22PM »

Thank you NJ for this great review of the Chattanooga show!  Orla has a way of making the show intimate and enjoyable regardless of the size of the crowd--whether hundreds or thousands!  You mentioned many of the points which make her show so special!  I can tell that you won't hesitate to go to another of her shows, or to recommend them to others!

Now--I've got to get to work on a review of last night's Dayton, Ohio show!  Wink Grin

greenfire6
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 07:57PM »

Off topic:

Now--I've got to get to work on a review of last night's Dayton, Ohio show!  Wink Grin

What's taking you so long John...  Roll Eyes  hundreds are waiting!  Cheesy

Just kidding, but I am looking forward to your latest After Action Report (AAR).  Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: