Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Believe Review/Comments WARNING: Spoilers possible!  (Read 11855 times)
mattycakes
Honorary Roadie

Oh you have made me very angry, very angry indeed!

« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2011, 07:59AM »

I'm sorry but I really need to interject here.

Maeve's "She Walked Through The Fair" is a different situation, because the singer (Maeve) is "telling" about a woman walking through a Renaissance era Faire and sharing with others her news that she is going to be married to a certain young (?) man soon.
The song itself is actually about a man reflecting upon the time spent with his deceased love. One verse is cut from the Celtic Woman version which actually spoke of her passing. The entirety of the first two verses of the Celtic Woman version are the man describing his time spent with his love while their third verse is the man being visited by the ghost (for want of a better description) of his deceased love.

This song never bothered me, neither did My Lagan Love nor Carolina Rua even (we forgot about that one) because the words of the song are not important. It doesn't matter which pronoun is used to describe whoever is being described in the songs. All that matters, or, at least, all that should matter, is whether or not the emotion of the song is there. If a singer can properly convey the emotions felt, then what should it matter if Lynn, Meav, and Lisa use female pronouns.

Now, on that note, I do attest that some people might be bothered by Lisa Lambe's version of Black is the Colour because of the way she performs it. But the thing is, it is simply her interpretaion of the song. Yes, she does perform it in a sensual and suggestive manner, and yes, I realize that bothers some people whenever an artist performs in that manner. But I also think we shouldn't be critical of Lisa's performance simply because of our own insecurities brought about in this era of constant political correctness. Just because a female singer performs a song using female pronouns doesn't make the song and the performance any less aestheitcally appealing.
TheWhite~Rose
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2011, 08:08AM »

I'm sorry but I really need to interject here.

Maeve's "She Walked Through The Fair" is a different situation, because the singer (Maeve) is "telling" about a woman walking through a Renaissance era Faire and sharing with others her news that she is going to be married to a certain young (?) man soon.
The song itself is actually about a man reflecting upon the time spent with his deceased love. One verse is cut from the Celtic Woman version which actually spoke of her passing. The entirety of the first two verses of the Celtic Woman version are the man describing his time spent with his love while their third verse is the man being visited by the ghost (for want of a better description) of his deceased love.

This song never bothered me, neither did My Lagan Love nor Carolina Rua even (we forgot about that one) because the words of the song are not important. It doesn't matter which pronoun is used to describe whoever is being described in the songs. All that matters, or, at least, all that should matter, is whether or not the emotion of the song is there. If a singer can properly convey the emotions felt, then what should it matter if Lynn, Meav, and Lisa use female pronouns.

Now, on that note, I do attest that some people might be bothered by Lisa Lambe's version of Black is the Colour because of the way she performs it. But the thing is, it is simply her interpretaion of the song. Yes, she does perform it in a sensual and suggestive manner, and yes, I realize that bothers some people whenever an artist performs in that manner. But I also think we shouldn't be critical of Lisa's performance simply because of our own insecurities brought about in this era of constant political correctness. Just because a female singer performs a song using female pronouns doesn't make the song and the performance any less aestheitcally appealing.
Thank you, mattycakes.  I couldn't have said it any better myself. 
And like I said before, this kind of thing happens in music all the time.  It isn't the first time Celtic Woman has used female pronouns, and they aren't the first to do it either.  I had to do it myself a few times. Tongue
JRRacing64
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2011, 07:51PM »

Is it true Dwayne " The Rock" Johnson was the special guest host for the Believe special?

It was listed on his wikipedia page...

Johnson's Hosting Reveal of the PBS Special of Celtic Woman Believe at Fox Theater in Atlanta, Georgia, as a fan and a special guest host.

It's at the bottom before - Filmography
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwayne_Johnson
IloveyouSarahBurke!! <3
Choir Member

When You Believe~ Chloe:"that was for you" 5/15/15

« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2011, 08:15PM »

Just watched it for the 2nd time......  For some reason, I was much more emotional this time around... I was bawling through the whole 2 hours....

Thanks Scott! 
I MET CHLOE (6X),LIL' LAMBE (4X)MAIREAD NESBITT(6X)AND SUSAN(6X) MAIREAD CARLIN(4X) ALEX SHARPE,and EABHA!!!!!!!!!!
JRRacing64
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2011, 09:01AM »

Is it true Dwayne " The Rock" Johnson was the special guest host for the Believe special?

It was listed on his wikipedia page...

Johnson's Hosting Reveal of the PBS Special of Celtic Woman Believe at Fox Theater in Atlanta, Georgia, as a fan and a special guest host.

It's at the bottom before - Filmography
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwayne_Johnson

I did some research around the net and on Dwayne Johnson's Official FB page and there is no mention of him at the show other then on the wikipedia page. I would think if it were true there would have been some mention on the special it self or a picture surfacing.  So I'm going to call this one false until proven otherwise. Wish it were true though, lol...
klaxen

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2011, 11:52PM »

About "Black is the Colour", she performs it the way she does because she is expressing the lyrics out visually.  Having sung in choirs since middle school, I can say that any vocal teacher or professional artist will tell you that performing a song is as much about the physical expression as it is the notes and clarity of the dictation of the words.  While some may be uncomfortable about her expressing the song as she did, it was completely appropriate and accurate to the lyrics.  

As for other songs originally performed or written about females from a male's POV that have been performed by CW:
ANJ:
   She Moved Thru The Fair
   Spanish Lady
   Scarborough fair (though all the "she"s were changed to "he" for Hayley the original version of the song was written from a male's POV)
IoH/SFTH:
   Carolina Rua (IoH tour Lynn Hilary)
   My Lagan Love
   The Moon's A Harsh Mistress (the song's meaning if I'm not mistaken is talking about being hurt by a woman and comparing her to falling out of the light of the moon into darkness)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 11:58PM by klaxen » Logged
chellek

« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2011, 11:44AM »

Still, I get what Gail is saying.  I am an open-minded liberal, and 99% of things don't bother me, but I was also a little uncomfortable when I saw Lisa's performance.  Maybe it's just because I don't care for the song, I don't know.   Undecided
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: