Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BELIEVE and The Circle of Life...  (Read 21779 times)
Vincanity0011210

The Diamond In The Rough

« on: December 22, 2011, 11:00PM »

I have been a Celtic Woman fanatic since the beginning. I've been a Lion King fanatic since it was created and I saw it in theaters. I have seen more Celtic Woman concerts than I can remember, they have helped me through many rough moments in my life, I own everything they've released and have had the lucky privilege of meeting them once (Apparently the higher powers have stopped me from ever being able to again Sad ). I own every Lion King, including sequels and most re-releases, seen the musical multiple times, have written a 7 page Art History Final on it, and own a Lion King comforter set still from when I was 9. Besides these random facts, I have not studied music, film, or theater in any way.

But may I say, as a lover of Celtic Woman, I was disappointed by Believe in a way that's hard to describe. I have read multiple reviews, and it may be the fact that I haven't seen this live yet (I don't have the money to blow on tickets to Atlanta...), but I would not call this superior, better, more amazing or any term like that compared to the original, New Journey, or Songs from the Heart (I'm not counting Christmas Celebration because that's Christmas and I love this season too much Smiley). None of the songs captured me like the old ones. The set up was lovely but was nothing compared to New Journey or Songs from the Heart. Only four Celtic Woman instead of five didn't feel right at all. There were just so many negative feelings that pulled me away from this. I've only watched it twice, but I feel like I don't need/want to watch it anymore... and this worries me about what could happen in the future with them.

As for The Circle of Life... http://youtu.be/bcMAowBVr6U?hd=1&t=3m30s
What. A. Mistake.
Lisa Lambe seemed to enjoy singing it, and it isn't a bad version of the song. But Celtic Woman, the Celtic Woman I remember, never a song before. And this felt like it. The energy, the life, the chill the runs down a person's back when you listen to them sing... it wasn't there for the first half of this song. Not in existence at all. I could have been watching this at a High School recital (Not saying a high schooler can't be talented). Once all three of the women come down and sing, it finally has a taste of the True life that you expect from a performance such as this. Watching this song actually hurt. And I've endured it over 7 times just to see if I'm missing anything spectacular. And I really don't believe I am. I'm sorry for those who don't agree with my opinions, but I've been a member for a long time, a fan for a long time, and I am still allowed to share my views on here. There was so much potential for this show to be their next shining star, but it supernovaed before reaching its zenith. When the come around again I'll still go to their show at least once to bask in the presence of nostalgia and former glory and the rare gems they still had, but I won't pretend I'm skeptical about the future.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 01:21AM by aislin » Logged

Follow me on Tumblr!
VinceVent
Critiques on my art=always helpful!
DeviantArt
I'm also looking for comments on my work.
VanderPhoto[
Scott

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 08:06AM »

Hi Vincanity Smiley

You might not remember me, but we met at the Mohegan Sun show back in October of '09.  I too have been a long-time fan of Celtic Woman, and I really wish you could have been at Atlanta with us.  We didn't know they were going to perform "Circle of Life" until they did; it never appeared in that setlist that got leaked several days before the taping.  Also a few days before, Rachel and Alexa and I were talking on skype, and I offhandedly said "You know which song I'd love to hear them sing?  'Circle Of Life' from Lion King."  And they both said "Ohhhh yeah that would be awesome!"  Now I had been actually hoping that they'd do it for about a year or so, since I love "Circle of Life" so much.  And coincidentally, both Rachel and Alexa were also at Atlanta for the first night, sitting in a different section from me.

So as "I Dreamed A Dream" faded out, I heard the beginning part of the song and wondered what it would be.  As Lisa Lambe sang the first line, I immediately recognized it and I absolutely gasped.  I couldn't wrap my mind around the fact that they were actually doing it.  I was shivering.  There are a couple of other songs they have done that I (and others) have posted that we always hoped that they'd do, like "Amazing Grace", and it doesn't surprise me that they eventually did perform "Amazing Grace" for SFTH.  But I really never expected that they actually would do "Circle Of Life."  I just didn't know how they could fit it into one of their shows.  But David Downes found a way to get it in.  When the song was done I was so overjoyed that I was on my feet with a standing ovation before anyone in that theater.

At intermission I connected with Rachel and Alexa, and Alexa said "Oh gosh, we just TALKED about "Circle of Life" a few days ago!!"  And I said, "I know, I know!!"  To me, hearing them perform "Circle of Life" that first night was one of the highlights of my Celtic Woman experience.  Smiley

Vincanity0011210

The Diamond In The Rough

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 11:43AM »

I actually don't remember you specifically but I do remember meeting a group of CWfans there. It was  a great day, that one. I am happy they did do the song, but it wasn't to the level that it could have been.

Follow me on Tumblr!
VinceVent
Critiques on my art=always helpful!
DeviantArt
I'm also looking for comments on my work.
VanderPhoto[
MaryNorth93
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 12:35PM »

We all experience songs differently. To be honest, the Circle of Life doesn't feel as fit for me, but I Dreamed A Dreamed makes things well enough  Cheesy 
lisalover7 (LL7)
Bodhrán Player

"I begged and I begged and I begged and I begged"

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 02:04PM »

SFTH for me was your Believe. I decided to go in no spoilers and not knowing anything. I was greatly disappointed. That being said I am now quite happy with the show after I'd say 4 or 5 viewings. For me knowing all the songs can make all the difference. Now I love Nil Sen La's Live version, and there performance of Amazing Grace was the best I've heard (I actually know more than the first verse now).

So going into Believe I wanted everything all the details, any spoiler news I wanted. When the sizzle reel came out I instantly knew which songs I would love, which touched my heart and which I wasn't in to. I am one of the Believer's that this there best show. I don't mind the four girl line up, I actually prefer it. A few things added to my belief: Awakening is much like SDS in it's opening, Sailing like Orinoco Flow, The Parting Glass like You Raise Me Up, it's all familiar to what they have done before but evolved. Without the Tribute to Broadway I wouldn't know I Dreamed a Dream which was one of the highlights for me. I'm a huge Lisa fan and completely nailed it with her musical theater background. That being said I am in complete agreement about Circle of Life. I am about as big a Disney fan as I am of CW (maybe more if that is possible) and I much prefer the original. I find it does get better once all the girls are on stage. Where it lacks here and there I find it more makes up for it in one single song.

Teir Abhaile Riu (fondly called TAR cause it's easier to say) is my favorite number by far. I knew the second I heard it I loved it and the added dancing took it over the top. I mean this song for me was MIND BLOWING. I can honestly not get enough of this song. And this special for me is the one I want to watch the most. I already see a lot of songs growing on me the most significant Follow On by Lisa K. It is the Caledonia of the show which for me is saying something.

This show is just proving what there productions have been since Slane: BIG LOUD and PROUD. Some aren't taking to the bigger production but I feel this one has the big production while keeping the heart of what the show is all about. It brings joy and relief to a very stressed global and local climate. As Lisa says the success of the show is that there is something for everyone. You don't have to love every song to love CW. It must be stressed that they can underwhelm us. More often then not they are pretty good at overwhelming us too.   

~LL7
Thanks for listening to my novel of 2 cents Wink

Let Me Tell You That I Love You...
RoAR
Honorary Roadie

It's far beyond the stars...

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 07:08PM »

Thank you, Vincanity! That's almost exactly what I was feeling, but had no words to describe!

I didn't like I Dreamed a Dream, but that is in part because Les Misérables has been my favorite musical for 10+ years. I really didn't like that they turned it into a duet, skipped lyrics, and then put it with Circle of Life (which I didn't like either). That being said, I do now want to hear Lisa K in the part of Fantine and Chloë in the part of Cosette. Overall, it seemed that there was way too much pop involved, like they were loosing their Irish touch or something.
Also, I find this strange, but I have yet to like a Lisa Lambe solo! I like her voice just fine, but her solos are just not working for me...

Now, it should be noted that I rarely like a song the first time I hear it, so maybe I'll like Believe after hearing the songs a few more times. Also, I adored both of Máiréad's solos AND Nocturne.

I couldn't tell you what I thought of the camera work as the program kept skipping like a scratched up dvd. Tongue

Then there's the choreography. Did anyone else think of an octopus during Spaceman?

CelticWomanAddict
Total Fanatic

You'll Never Walk Alone

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 07:28PM »

Wow,I must say I really like The Circle Of Life and the dancing they do at the end with the choir is awesome I think  Shocked

Natalia
Bodhrán Player

May 12 was a wonderful day!

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 11:21PM »

Believe is my favorite special so far! SFTH was my least favorite, and I was hoping that Believe would be better, and I like how CW has evolved. They can't stay the same forever! I did enjoy Circle of Life. it wasn't my favorite, but the amount of incredible music in the show made one not-so-great song not stand out.

JohnLaing_ChloeFan

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2011, 11:59PM »

I really honestly don't know how I feel about BELIEVE. I mean I love it...but at the same time, I have issues with it. It's almost bitter-sweet for me.
First of all,
Awakening is absolutely incredible!!! def. one of the highlights of the show for me. Mainly cuz it still has that CW feel to it.
Nocturne was gorgeous!!! Luv ya' Chloe Grin Kiss
The World Falls Away (Give Me Your Hand) is my personal over-all CW favorite...It is, in my opinion, their best song yet. I heard it live during the SFTH tour in 2011 and was hoping beyond belief that it would be included on their next album (That goes for Walking the Night and My heart Was Home Again as well!!!) and I got my wish..yay Grin
Teir Abhaile Rui (the new ceili  Wink ) is an awesome song!!! Would love to hear it live Cheesy
Sailing was so beautiful...couldn't BELIEVE (see what I did there  Wink ) what I was hearing  Shocked The harmonies and the melody itself was so breath-taking!!
And The Parting Glass...what can I say...those opening harmonies gave me chills and it definitely was a good choice for the new show closer  Wink
Now secondly,
I really feel that CW is starting to go down a path I don't want to see them go down. A few of the songs in the show like Follow On, A Woman's Heart, Bridge Over Troubled Water, and The Water is Wide were really pop/rockish. And I'm sorry if people disagree with this but that sound is not the sound that made me fall in love with CW. Now, I know there is the statement that CW has something for everyone and that you don't have to like all the songs, but over the course of all their albums, I've seen this sound creeping into more and more of their songs and I'm sorry but I thought more of David than turning this group into a contemporary pop/rock group, not saying that that is the case necessarily but it could happen and it's looking more and more possible. In other words, let's leave the pop to the pop singers and groups and the rock to the rock singers and groups. Don't get me wrong, I think these songs are gorgeous and I will still LOVE CW no matter what, I just don't want to see them veer away from the sound that brought them so many fans, love, and support. Hope that didn't sound to harsh Huh
And lastly,
So in all, like I said earlier BELIEVE is kinda bitter-sweet for me. I love it but I'm not too sure about it at the same time. I think I just need time to listen to the music more and wait for time to go by and see how things turn out.

As for what this topic was originally about lol, "I Dreamed A Dream/The Circle of Life" was really good, but wasn't a highlight for me, but I think it was just supposed to be a fun thing, you know what I mean?

Hope no one found this offensive in any way. I just feel a genuine concern for CW. They mean so much to me and have done so much for me Smiley

Okay I'm done  Wink
Cash
Honorary Roadie

carry me...on the waves

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2011, 10:00AM »

warning - long post coming. it may seem off topic at times, but in the end you will see why it all comes together (i hope!)

first, as one of the previous posters mentioned, CW has made some changes (the sing-along, the step dancer, filming in the USA, filming indoor, filming with just 4 principles, Lil Lambe is new, just to name a few), yet those changes arent radical. i have noted that before and how smart they go about it. if it isn't broke, then you shouldn't fix it. BUT, CW has to compete for our entertainment dollars at a time when many of us don't have many of those, so they have to keep things fresh and new too in order to keep our interest and also to win new fans. I would think its a delicate balance. But they are smart about it. In fact, one thing that I really like about the group goes beyond the sound or the look, its the way the show is put together and organized, the song selection, how you have solos and group numbers, vocal and instrumental pieces, all complementing each other.

Another new, and VERY important, aspect about this show is Lil Lambe.I thought about posting this part under a thread in her section about how she 'grows' on people, but its applicable here. At first, I think she was held back a bit by a number of things. First, she replaced someone. Thats tough for anyone. I remember when I replaced a guy who worked at the job for 20 years. For about a year it was like "John would have known what to do" or "John wouldn't have made that mistake" It takes about a year before predicesors are really let go and the new person is accepted. Thats esp. true with Celtic Woman, since we fans tend to be VERY VERY loyal to the ladies. Plus I didn't know how much I liked Lynn until she was gone. One of those 'you dont know what you got until its gone" kind of things. Plus Lil Lambe had to sing "Lynn's" songs. She didn't have her own. She certainly made Dulaman her own, but somehow never impressed me with Lagan Love. But thats one of the things here. Lil Lambe is a 'mover'. Arms waving, spinning, etc. Lynn, Meav, and Orla were more, how to say 'stationary'. Very talented but not exactly best suited for more upbeat quicker music. And Lil Lambe may not be perfect for the slower songs or the more traditional music. Or so I thought.

Then when I first heard Spaceman, Lil Lambe's first CW song, I first thought...NO! Thats NOT a CW song. But its grown on me. She makes it work! And in Atlanta when I first saw & heard Black is the Colour, I first thought...NO. Thats not going to work. But the amazing thing with it happens with the DVD. Because lil Lambe seems born to be on camera. If you are live, you must be very close to see the eyes, the facial expressions, all the little things that the tv camera picks up. They got her on all the right angles and right views to make it look incredible. Plus she displays a sultry flirty kind of thing that works. Its a tough balance though. A performer can't take that sort of thing too far. We like CW probabaly because we arent into seeing Lady Gaga do her thing on MTV! Once again theres a fine line and Lil Lambe , in combination with David, Scott,a nd the other professionals at CW, make it work. And Lil lambe again is different from the past performers like Lynn, Meav, or Orla, who I doubt could make that song work. Thats not a knock against them, and again they would be better suited for other songs that Lil Lambe might not excel at. But Black is the Colour, what I think is a traditional type of song, was turned into a very different and interesting performeance.

Also, when I pledged for tickets at one station, the lady told me "Hey I talked with some other people who went to Atlanta for the recording, they said its their best" and I said "I don't know, its great but the other shows are too" Now though, I think it is their best yet. Its really grown on me. Sometimes new stuff just needs viewed a bit and then you realize how great it is.

So with Circle of Life, some of that is happening. You have Lil lambe, who is on her first DVD and very different from past perfromers that we have got used to. You have a song and music done different from what many Disney fans have got used to. And thats were I differ from many of you. When I was a kid, we didnt have DVDs or VCRs. I wasn't into Disney, though I do remember my parents taking me to a drive-in to see 101 Dalmations because I liked puppies! But I have no preconceieved notions on how Circle of Life should be done, so I thought it was absolutely great! I wonder if those of you who didnt like Circle are young, and if those who did like it are older, like me. Is there an age thing going on here?

Home is behind, The world ahead, And there are many paths to tread, Through shadow, To the edge of night, Until the stars are all alight.
RoAR
Honorary Roadie

It's far beyond the stars...

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2011, 01:15PM »

I'm young and didn't like it...maybe there is an age thing going! Like I've said before, I'm also very biased when it comes to I Dreamed a Dream...

I found it kind of funny listening to the PBS people when they were talking about how all these years of touring in America havn't changed the girls at all! That they still hold to their Irish roots......and then came all the pop songs. Really? Yes, they do still have an Irish feel, but the pop is very evident now....

Jennifer
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2011, 01:20PM »

I'm young and I loved it. Smiley (Sorry!)
Natalia
Bodhrán Player

May 12 was a wonderful day!

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2011, 01:46PM »

I'm young and I loved it. Smiley (Sorry!)

Me too!   Cheesy

barb kantartzis
Total Fanatic

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2011, 03:33PM »

I guess this would be a good place to post this and really say how I felt!! i am young'ish (23) to and I loved circle of life!  The only thing is Lil' lambe was almost singing it to soft at times. I guess I am just used to the original, but I had heard the cheetah girls version ... only other girl version and that is very soft too and yes Lisa does the song a million times better (no comparison!) and that happened during sfth live when I heard lynn do a song (so long ago I forgot which one!?) I was in the front row and I could not hear her at a point.  Not sure if it was microphone or what  but she came back powerful later! But lambes was to soft  up until the 3/4 the way in! This includes black is the colour. The first time i heard the song i heard ryan kelly sing it w his heavy voice and fast tempo. i was very sceptical at first an was like NO i will not listen i don't like it! well after listening a couple times i actually like the softness to it and it will be played a million times by me!  I dreamed a dream... uhm they def. could've used another song I think! like defying gravity or for good , beauty and the beast... I am very perticular on the song and the play! (phantom fan!)  I don't mind lisa singing fantine though, it doesn't ... bother me!  shs actually has the voice for it and I can see her in a les mis concert singing it and chloe was ok on the song I think that part needed to be stronger especially for what is being sung and that part of the story.  I actually like the song spaceman when it first came out!  I was totally suprised she interpreted it that way!  But lefties are very creative (lisa's a lefty like me!) Wink ! and actually there were more songs with irish roots in this one if you think about it than the other tapings!  Sfth was definately a thankyou to america and kinda americanised , which I will always love because it was my first time being front row and I will cherish that night in my memory forever, I don't think I will ever lose that memory or ever hope to lose it! where the first taping was contemporary which i admit i don't have this cd or the girls seperate ones that came w it b/c i know the songs and they do make the songs better its just i wouldn't ersonally listen to them every day?? and anj even though that was slightly irish and contemporary the whole back ground  and camera work, camera work, camera work by declan on all their ireland tapings made it, and when I first heard of the girls and it was a hook line and sinker!! i don't listen to the whole cd though, time constraint and I listen to other stuff when i walk to!  I listen to 5 songs  maybe but w/o those songs i would have the worst night ever or not be able to get through my day!! Yes we had spots were the believed stopped and the camera was just all over the place, literally and one of the girls would be singing and all of the sudden the camera would vere off withing a half second a few times, I was like woo!! But, just got to remember that it is their first time taping in a theatre in the states, and that they're the ones getting paid to be on stage and not us!! I can't wait to get the dvd and watch it live!  Sorry I have been wanting to say that for a while!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 07:59PM by barb kantartzis » Logged

I I I I hear your voice on the wind, and I I I I hear you call out my name, listen my child you say to me I am the voice of your history be not afraid come follow me answer my call and i'll set you frrreeeee!!!!!!!
LISAFAN4EVER
Choir Member

Lisa's my hero!

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2011, 06:08PM »

I like Circle Of Life & I'm older. The beginning of the song seems slower - Lil Lambe sings softer. Later, you have all 3 vocalists, the choir, & a faster tempo. I like the way that works. I also love Black Is The Colour & have no issues with how it's sung. I agree that CW has to do different things. Doing the same thing over & over would get old & boring fast. I really like "Believe". Sorry, but I don't see(hear?) where the pop or soft rock comes in. This is Celtic Woman at their finest & they are AWESOME!!! Smiley               *just my opinion*

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: