Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BELIEVE and The Circle of Life...  (Read 21872 times)
Scott

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2011, 06:39PM »

Maybe I didn't make myself clear before.  For me Celtic Woman is not a "style" of music.  I never fell in love with a particular style of song that CW performed; to me ANY genre of song they perform is disposable, as long as what they do perform reaches in and touches me.  And with EVERY show they have created - Helix, A New Journey, Christmas Celebration, Isle of Hope, Songs From the Heart, Believe, and Symphony - they have done some songs that I absolutely could care less about, and they have done some songs that shook me to the very core of my being.  I won't say which songs left me flat so as not to put down anyone else's personal favorites, but there was (to me) at least one and sometimes several duds in every show they've done, including Helix.  But the songs that do touch my heart have outweighed the one that did not, by a wide margin.  And that is as true today as it was when I first became a fan.  I feel that Believe stands up as some of their best work.  Smiley

Let me add something else too.  For those of you who panned their "Circle of Life" (and you have every right to feel that way), I feel that Celtic Woman has improved certain songs done more "famously" by others.  For example, there are certain songs that CW has done so beautifully that I NEVER liked when others performed them previously, such as "Danny Boy" and "Beyond the Sea" and "Over the Rainbow" and "Vivaldi's Rain" and "Suantrai".  I heard all those songs long before I ever heard of Celtic Woman, and in my personal opinion, those songs were all garbage until CW performed them.  Maybe David Downes deserves credit for bringing something to the songs, maybe it's the soloists.  But whatever, those are songs of Celtic Woman that I came to love when THEY performed them. Smiley

And another thing: I too think it was high time for Celtic Woman to mix a few things up.  A couple things had become almost formulaic, as I had alluded to in certain posts since the release of Songs From the Heart.  There seems less of that now, which to me is a good thing.

I like Circle Of Life & I'm older. The beginning of the song seems slower - Lil Lambe sings softer. Later, you have all 3 vocalists, the choir, & a faster tempo. I like the way that works. I also love Black Is The Colour & have no issues with how it's sung. I agree that CW has to do different things. Doing the same thing over & over would get old & boring fast. I really like "Believe". Sorry, but I don't see(hear?) where the pop or soft rock comes in. This is Celtic Woman at their finest & they are AWESOME!!! Smiley               *just my opinion*

I couldn't have said it better myself.  Smiley

lisalover7 (LL7)
Bodhrán Player

"I begged and I begged and I begged and I begged"

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2011, 07:06PM »

I completely agree with Scott here. Just cause I didn't love the cover of Circle of Life doesn't mean their covers have all gone to the way side. Honestly I had strong dislike for Beyond the Sea (the original) I absolutely love CW version.

Let Me Tell You That I Love You...
Cash
Honorary Roadie

carry me...on the waves

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2011, 07:54PM »

Sorry, but I don't see(hear?) where the pop or soft rock comes in.
I agree that what they have evolved toward isn't really 'pop' but its more emphasis on the visual presentation, while still maintaining the great sound. While Orla, Lynn, and Meav were great with sound, Lil Lambe adds spice with 'theatre' and makes the presentation a lot more visual. The spins, arm waves, facial expressions, etc. They always had Mairead doing that, but now they have a vocalist as well and they can match lyrics to expression a lot better now. Plus look what they have done, starting with SftH then continuing on Believe. All the bagpipers, fireworks / confetti , all the extra singers on stage with the guest choir members, the step dancer. So in a way, it is similar to 'pop' because pop artists have background dancers, special effects, etc, yet its not really pop its just presentation.

Home is behind, The world ahead, And there are many paths to tread, Through shadow, To the edge of night, Until the stars are all alight.
barb kantartzis
Total Fanatic

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2011, 08:07PM »

Didn't they always have a choir and pipes (celtic) and live drums ( ray and nicky) and guitars (des) etc?? right from the first taping/ tour?? I don't know if they added anything but I think they had that since the start?  I didn't go to their first tour, which a fun fact... the very fist city they came to on their very fist tour to kick off was here in cleveland!

I I I I hear your voice on the wind, and I I I I hear you call out my name, listen my child you say to me I am the voice of your history be not afraid come follow me answer my call and i'll set you frrreeeee!!!!!!!
Excalibur

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2011, 08:07PM »

Sorry, but I don't see(hear?) where the pop or soft rock comes in.

I think this can be seen/heard if you compare the different shows and songs over the years. CW has changed a lot since the beginning. IOH/SFTH years were the moment when CW has begun to include a lot of contemporary pop songs if compared to the previous shows. Lisa K went from Caledonia/The Voice to Fields Of Gold and The Moon's A Harsh Mistress. From Orla's Newgrange and Carrickfergus we had Alex's True Colors, My Heart Was Home Again and You'll Be In My Heart. Even for the group numbers something similar occurred. Gaelic has been almost wiped away from the show. Guitars and contemporary drums have become more prominent. I personally have noticed these kind of things. Can't say why, I don't know if there's a reason, and this doesn't make me love CW less, but it's a fact that things have slightly changed.

The good thing about Believe is, in my opinion, that it has more traditional and celtic/irish songs than IOH/SFTH, but the arrangements and the sound is becoming more and more contemporary. I remember the first Helix renditions, so different, it was all very new and unique. Honestly, if it weren't for Mairead's fiddle, I think that some of the new songs wouldn't sound CWish at all. Also, having 3 singers has brought too many duets for me. Believe has 3 Chloe/LisaK duets, a Chloe/LisaL duet and a LisaK/LisaL duet. We were used to a couple of duets in the whole show, to different combinations and I think this meant a lot in the CW formula.

BTW, I liked the tribute to Broadway and LL did a great job on Circle Of Life. I just wish I could hear the two songs in their completeness.

Scott

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2011, 08:50PM »

A couple more points, as I see it:

(1) Someone above alluded to the idea that CW has to remain competitive in the show market by providing more in their shows, such as "visuals".  That's very true, but there is also something that most of us forum people don't want to think about: much as we'd like to think otherwise, the vast majority of concert tickets sold are to non-forum, casual fans who see the broadcasts on TV and do not have the deep passion for the shows that we do.  Now, some of those casual fans have been coming to their local shows for 5 years and more, but they probably wouldn't if it were just the same format over and over again.  One of the truly amazing things about Celtic Woman is that they reinvent themselves in spite of personnel changes, in spite of market demands, and in spite of a tumbling US economy... and with each reinvention they are successful.  These reinventions are growth, which leads to my other point...

(2) Not only have the ladies of Celtic Woman grown, but so has David Downes.  This is not to say that their music now is necessarily better just because it was done more recently, but what I'm getting at is that they have all evolved as people and as musicians from what they were when they started.  I wouldn't be surprised if that's why some (though of course not all) of the departed choir, musicians, and soloists have left... it's likely they wanted to grow in a different way musically, to try something else.  After all, in "Circle of Life" it's on the path unwinding, not the spot that I will never move from.  And that, by the way, is the biggest reason why I love that song so much.  Smiley

LISAFAN4EVER
Choir Member

Lisa's my hero!

« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2011, 05:42AM »

For me, it comes down to hearing and feeling. Do I like what I'm hearing? Does the song/music touch my heart/soul? "Believe" does that. Some songs are fun and some are great to sing along with. And some bring tears to my eyes. Only Celtic Woman can do that. Whether CW realizes it or not, that's quite a gift to give, in my opinion. Smiley

hesprit
Total Fanatic

« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2011, 09:08AM »

For me, it comes down to hearing and feeling. Do I like what I'm hearing? Does the song/music touch my heart/soul? "Believe" does that. Some songs are fun and some are great to sing along with. And some bring tears to my eyes. Only Celtic Woman can do that. Whether CW realizes it or not, that's quite a gift to give, in my opinion. Smiley

THIS >>Whether CW realizes it or not, that's quite a gift to give, in my opinion. :<<

It just needed to be said again!

Peter
Breno

« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2011, 10:45AM »

The sucess of Celtic Woman started when the most traditional album was recorded in The Helix. Is this not the most selling album? Please, correct me if I am wrong.
I really wish Celtic Woman could go back to the way it was. I love the group the same way, but their best albums, to me, are the most traditionals. The way it is now, becomes less "unique". But yet the best to me.
Ben the piper
Bodhrán Player

There can be miracles, when you believe!

« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2011, 01:01PM »

Well it is probably like that, that you have to "get used" to some of the songs they sing in Believe (or with any new production). Sure some might not be the usual stuff CW sings, but that has been explained and discussed in previous posts.

I thought they did a great job with Believe and when I heard that they sung "Circle of Life", I knew it wouldn't be the same as the original one from "The Lion King". At first when I heard it, I have to confess that I didn't like it, as I somehow still had the original one in mind and I also thought that it was "too soft".

So I listened to it again and again and I like it a bit better now. Maybe it's one of those songs you have to hear live for that "CW effect".

lisalover7 (LL7)
Bodhrán Player

"I begged and I begged and I begged and I begged"

« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2011, 03:01PM »

quite possible. hear stuff from them live can make ALL the difference. like amazing grace or the world falls away. I can say from experience i like chloe's shubert ave maria on Believe but it doesn't come close to second night Pechanga. I think that is how it should be.

Let Me Tell You That I Love You...
RoAR
Honorary Roadie

It's far beyond the stars...

« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2011, 06:16PM »

Maybe that's why I didn't like it as much...It didn't touch me the way the others did. I mean, I loved Máiréad's solos and Nocturne, but the rest of it was...ok OR  Tongue. The others I loved from the first go through, even though I probably don't like the majority of CW songs. *ducks quickly to avoid all things thrown by shocked fans*
I'M RIDICULOUSLY PICKY, OK??? Anyways, even with songs I didn't like, I could say I loved the shows, but this one was different somehow...Maybe I just need to get used to it some more, but at this point I'm still going back and forth over whether or not I should go when they come to my area.....which is really strange because I've been looking forward to them coming back!

chellek

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2011, 01:35PM »

I think it's fine if CW mixes in pop/contemporary music.  I mean, there are only so many Irish songs out there, and I would hate for them to be boxed into only Irish tunes.  There is always a song or two that we don't like on CDs.  That's what the skip button is for.  To be honest, some of their more traditional Irish songs just don't appeal to me.  As my grandmother used to say, "there's a lid for every pot".   Grin
Tiffany Gray
Honorary Roadie

I love Celtic Woman and soft sweaters.

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2011, 04:04PM »

Sorry guys, but I have to disagree with a lot of you.  I loved the original 5 and the original way they did things, but life is all about change.  Having Asperger's Syndrome, I don't always like when things change, and it's really hard for me to adjust, but for some reason, every time Celtic Woman makes a change, or does something different or now, it intrigues me.  I love when something new happens with them.

And I also have to disagree with some of the comments about SFTH and Believe.  I was really pleased with both of them.  Songs from the Heart was AMAZING!  I loved how they covered so many songs that I knew, such as "Fields of Gold," "When You Believe," "You'll Be in My Heart," "True Colors," and "Amazing Grace," while introducing me to already existing songs I hadn't heard before, such as "The Moon's a Harsh Mistress."  Believe did the same for me!  I recognized a LOT of the songs they sang, and I love that.  Some of the original versions were... okay, until Celtic Woman covered them.  And they introduced me to some already existing songs I had never heard before, like "Follow On."

And SFTH was my favorite, until they did BELIEVE, and I was lucky enough to see the taping, so all the songs just took me on some kind of amazing journey.  And seeing this show on TV and DVD brings back so many beautiful memories of that night (I went 2nd night)

And as much as I liked the original version of "Circle of Life," I loved Celtic Woman's version the best.  I was really excited when Lil' Lambe started singing it!

I think it's fine if CW mixes in pop/contemporary music.  I mean, there are only so many Irish songs out there, and I would hate for them to be boxed into only Irish tunes.

I agree with that.  I LOVE it when Celtic Woman does Irish songs, but as they said in the interviews on the first DVD, the show isn't just about traditional Irish songs.  It's about variety.  They've never been just "traditional Irish."  They've always mixed things up, thrown in beautiful covers of pop songs, some classical, and more.  I think it would be awesome if in the future, they did a CD/DVD with all Irish/Celtic songs, but I also really love when they mix things up, have lots of variety, and sing all sorts of songs.  And like I said, I LOVE it when they cover a popular song I know!  Then I can sing along or mouth the words.

LISAFAN4EVER
Choir Member

Lisa's my hero!

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2011, 06:12AM »

I agree with Tiffany. Change happens. CW does change very well. They've come a long way since that first show at the Helix and it's all been for the good. I prefer CW's version of songs that other artists have done - Orinoco Flow, May It Be, A Woman's Heart, Goodnight My Angel, Circle Of Life. Whatever secret magic they have, they work it well!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: