Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BELIEVE and The Circle of Life...  (Read 21857 times)
RoAR
Honorary Roadie

It's far beyond the stars...

« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2012, 10:15AM »

Ok, having listened to the songs a few more times I do like some of them better, but I still don't like the Tribute, Bridge over Troubled Water, Black is the Color, and You'll Never Walk Alone. (There are a few that I need to listen to again before I can say for sure whether or not I actually like them)

mishawakafan

A smile a little girl & her Papa will never forget

« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2012, 11:32AM »

I'm young and didn't like it...maybe there is an age thing going! Like I've said before, I'm also very biased when it comes to I Dreamed a Dream...

I found it kind of funny listening to the PBS people when they were talking about how all these years of touring in America havn't changed the girls at all! That they still hold to their Irish roots......and then came all the pop songs. Really? Yes, they do still have an Irish feel, but the pop is very evident now....
. Is there no pop music written or performed by the Irish? 
Just wondering?

mishawakafan

« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2012, 11:57AM »

To me it all comes down to how well the song is done.  Genre does not matter.  If they did a Show based on Rock (Rocker at heart Chloe might enjoy) and they gave it the David Downes/Celtic Woman treatment I'm sure I would find something to enjoy in it.  Talent is talent and this collection of artists have talent.

The Shows have something everyone.  Do I love every song they have put out over the years, no.  I do love most of what they have done and that makes buying CD/DVD's and tickets to Shows worth my time and money.  I love it, my kids love it,  my wife likes it.  To each their own.  Wink

I did not love every song on Journey "Escape", but I bought the album and saw the concert.

Enjoy what you enjoy, let go of what you don't and be HAPPY!

One last thing.  Each Show is different.  The next Show may be everything you think is lacking in "Believe".  Hang in there.

Peace,
Phil

TheWhite~Rose
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2012, 01:48PM »

I'm young and didn't like it...maybe there is an age thing going! Like I've said before, I'm also very biased when it comes to I Dreamed a Dream...

I found it kind of funny listening to the PBS people when they were talking about how all these years of touring in America havn't changed the girls at all! That they still hold to their Irish roots......and then came all the pop songs. Really? Yes, they do still have an Irish feel, but the pop is very evident now....
. Is there no pop music written or performed by the Irish?  
Just wondering?
Some of the pop songs they've sung were indeed performed not only by the Irish, but also performed first!  Have I Told You Lately from their Isle of Hope tour for instance was not originally sung by Rod Stewart as some people think, but by Van Morrison who was Irish.  Lisa Kelly's solo Follow On was also performed by an Irish singer named Paul Brady, and Lisa Lambe's A Spaceman Came Travelling was done by Irish singer, Chris de Burgh.  Even though their arrangment for this song is a bit pop-like, A Woman's Heart is also of Irish origin.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 02:04PM by TheWhite~Rose » Logged
mishawakafan

« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2012, 02:07PM »

! That they still hold to their Irish roots......and then came all the pop songs. Really? Yes, they do still have an Irish feel, but the pop is very evident now....
[/quote]. Is there no pop music written or performed by the Irish?  
Just wondering?
[/quote]
Some of the pop songs they've sung were indeed performed not only by the Irish, but also performed first!  Have I Told You Lately from their Isle of Hope tour for instance was not originally sung by Rod Stewart as some people think, but by Van Morrison who was Irish.  Lisa Kelly's solo Follow On was also performed by an Irish singer named Paul Brady, and Lisa Lambe's A Spaceman Came Travelling was done by Irish singer, Chris de Burgh.  Even though their arrangment for this song is a bit pop-like, A Woman's Heart is also of Irish origin.

[/quote]
Thank you!  This makes my point clear.  I was to lazy to check all that out.   Wink

Phil

Ben the piper
Bodhrán Player

There can be miracles, when you believe!

« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2012, 02:52PM »

As was mentioned before that the show might change on tour or going to be different:

That's going to happen for sure. Even though you might not always hear them the bagpipers do make a bit of a difference during "Sailing" for example. With them gone maybe Tommy Martin is going to pick up the pipes as he did for Amazing Grace during SFTH (at least he did in Europe).
As I'm a piper myself I have to say that the tunes actually wouldn't be too hard to perform but not every town they're performing in has a pipeband. Besides I highly doubt that they're going to pipe for free anyway. And I'm sure CW doesn't want to pay for a pipeband every time.
And it's also going to make a difference in "The Parting Glass".

Ok enough with the pipes now, sorry I had myself going. Cheesy Roll Eyes

If I remember back correctly, they also didn't have those few members from the orchestra on tour, it was only the band. Obviously the more people you have to take with you on tour, the more expensive it all gets.
As for the bit with the Children's choir: That could be possible. Because first they really don't have to sing much and secondly children are also happy if they're provided with some goodies or snacks after the show. Ok that doesn't depend on them but on the people that run the whole choir stuff and their demands and conditions for the kids to perform but I'm just saying. Know what I mean? Smiley

And the biggest difference is going to be Susan replacing Lisa of course. Sad of course that Lisa's not there but also can't wait to hear Susan sing with the girls.

Back to Circle of Life: I've listened to it more often now, I'm still not quite convinced but as I posted before, maybe it is one of those songs that one has to hear live. I'll notice that after my concert.

chellek

« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2012, 06:25PM »

I can't imagine that they would get a children's choir for each performance.  It would all have to be preplanned before they arrived at each city.  Add to that, learning the music, rehearsals, even parental consent would make it difficult to have a different choir for each city.
Excalibur

« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2012, 10:32PM »

A thing I was thinking... Will they have a solo cellist for A Woman's Heart? Or will they replace the cello with Mairead's fiddle?  Grin

Ben the piper
Bodhrán Player

There can be miracles, when you believe!

« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2012, 05:15AM »

Ok yes, now that I think about it...

But I think there's a big chance of the choir in Atlanta joining in again for the concert. Smiley

LISAFAN4EVER
Choir Member

Lisa's my hero!

« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2012, 06:41AM »

Maybe the Gwinnet Young Singers in Atlanta and PS22 at Radio City?

aislin
Administrator
Total Fanatic

« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2012, 10:19AM »

We've somehow wandered off the topic of discussing out opinions of the Believe DVD/PBS special to speculating about the live tour. Please returned to the regularly scheduled topic. Wink

Thanks,
aislin
RoAR
Honorary Roadie

It's far beyond the stars...

« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2012, 10:33AM »

Ok, I hope this isn't off topic (if it is let me know and I'll start a different topic).
What exactly do they want you to believe? I've only listened through it 3 times, but I'm not seeing the point of the title. The titles to the other shows were self-explanatory, but this one (in a way) implies a command to believe without telling you what to believe. Anyone know what they meant?

MaryNorth93
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2012, 12:17PM »

Ok, I hope this isn't off topic (if it is let me know and I'll start a different topic).
What exactly do they want you to believe? I've only listened through it 3 times, but I'm not seeing the point of the title. The titles to the other shows were self-explanatory, but this one (in a way) implies a command to believe without telling you what to believe. Anyone know what they meant?

The way I see it it tells you to believe in life. Most of the songs have clear themes which can strongly belong to life, I think. Some songs speak specifically about friendship, love, memories and regret, joy, sadness, or the hope it will turn out better when times are dark, or that there will be somebody to comfort you. Of course it's all left on the own interpretation. 'Believe' can be unfortanately a very sensitive word nowadays. I've read once someone online saying that she associates Follow On with Jesus his love which I think is wonderfull, might look it that way myself, but of course people had to pull down her comment down. Everyone experiences music in his own way.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: