Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio City Music Hall: Final Review  (Read 4175 times)
Palmie00

« on: March 11, 2012, 12:27PM »

Hola everybody!

I'm seated in my seat for the Radio City show! I arrived in New York earlier today to enjoy some food and scenery before the quasi matinée show. I'm in the first balcony awaiting the show to start. The High Kings are playing and the stage is in full view. It's completely gorgeous in person. So excited to see it in action!

I'm glad the show is early here this year so by the time I get back to the Philly suburbs I'll have enough time to write a review before bed! So, everybody, check back in a few hours :-)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 08:04PM by Palmie00 » Logged

Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 12:58PM »

Enjoy the show -- it is great!
Palmie00

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 12:29PM »

So sorry for the delay, everyone but by te time I got home from NYC I was in no state of mind to write a review....no, I wasn't celebrating being Irish lol, I was just exhausted. Will be having the review up after work!

Palmie00

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 10:40PM »

Okay. After another hectic day I'm finally finding the time to get this done. I wanted to have enough time to give this the attention and effort it deserves.

I was so excited, as I mentioned before, that the show was a bit earlier this year at Radio City Music Hall in New York City. I was able to enjoy the city and not have to wait ALL day and half the evening waiting for the show lol. The only bad part is that it ended earlier in the day. The best was seeing the show at night and being able to go straight home and fall asleep still on that natural high from the show! But there are good and bad to all things, I suppose.

Unfortunately, I had to purchase my tickets late this year which means I was unable to get a seat in the orchestra section of the theatre. I usually like to be somewhat close. My seats were in the 1'st Balcony/Mezzanine center stage. I must say, I really enjoyed the seats because it gave the show an entire new perspective of those I've seen in the past. Having seen nearly every tour at Radio City for the past four years, except Songs From the Heart as I was studying abroad in Spain, I've been up close. Seeing the lighting and entire stage really gives credit and awareness to all the passion and effort that goes into these productions. I was just in awe by it.

The stage was visible in dull and dim lighting as The High King's latest effort, "Memory Lane" was playing softly in the background. It was a nice way to begin the show process and get everyone in the Irish mood, especially since St. Patrick's Day in right around the corner. Since everyone in New York is Irish this time of year, the buzz of the audience, as well as the performers I'm sure, is alive and kicking more than usual. For this sole reason I make the trip to NYC each year because I believe it creates the full Celtic Woman experience. I observed as people came in with their fancy glow in the dark drinks and 12 dollar beers while talking to their loved ones about the new show and how excited they were to be there. Just before the lights begin to fade and the gold plated curtain is dropped, the announcement is made by David about the show's commencement.

As the curtain lifted, Máiréad's singular silhouette is seen with her signature stance on the beautifully designed staircase. She puts the bow to the fiddle and the enchanting vibe of "Awakening" is heard.

"Awakening" was flawless. I was so anxious and excited to hear what Susan McFadden had in store for us, having never really heard her voice much before. I must say I was taken over by her. The drums and percussion make this song, for me. Its message of a new day dawning is so uplifting and inspiring that it was such a fantastic way to begin the night. The dresses for this show are gorgeous and fit so well with the theme. Although, I'm not sure why the lace back drift was added....stage effect possibly!? "Awakening" reminds me of "Sky and the Dawn and the Sun" in such a good way and has that same vibe of starting out soft and sweet, yet mysterious and building into this massive crescendo that bump the heart into the throat.

I could tell right away that this is the most energetic audience I've ever been in: many standing ovations and clapping to known songs, and fierce clapping upon the sights of Máiréad.

The familiar bodhrán bounce of Dúlamán is heard and I'm so excited since this is the first Celtic Woman song I fell in love with. Lisa does a lovely version and thank God....the goddess of the spoons is back! She plays them so effortlessly!

Chloë returned to the stage to welcome us all to the show. She mentioned how at home she feels here in New York City since they've been here countless times. She chatted with us how, as I said, everyone is Irish in NYC this time of year and wished us a happy St. Patty's Day! She was so fortunate to be able to sing the next song for us..."Nocturne".

"Nocturne", again, creates that lovely mix of sweetness with mystery. I just love how those two things fit so well with each other in this new show. That's why I was surprised that "Black is the Colour" didn't make the cut. Anyway, Chloë sang impeccably well and had such wonderful stage presence. Her high notes sent a banshee-like operatic zephyr through the air and it was incredible. Chloë was so apparent on stage I almost forgot Máiréad was there!

Máiréad returned to big applause and began the soft tones of "The Foxhunter". As the beautiful allow part was coming to an end I could feel the tension as the audience knew what was coming. She blast off like a firecracker and the audience is bouncing. I lost count of the spins she did. She's a piece of work that girl, in the words of my grandmother lol.

"Sailing" was next. When I first heard it on the DVD I thought of it as a runner up to "Beyond the Sea", but it's so much more than that. Although I missed having Lisa K around, Susan was wonderful, yet again with her parts and adding her own celtic feel to it. I wasn't cray about this song at first, but I'm growing more attached to it now. It is a very powerful song and created a great buzz through out the crowd.

Lisa Lambe took the mic and told us the lovely story behind "A Woman's Heart". Alluding to the fact that women are amazing creatures, the girls started the song. The harmonies toward the end were quite different than on the studio and live DVD, but added this intense power element to the song's climax.

Susan comes out for her first solo number, "Follow On", and I sat up in my seat. I was ready to hear her take on this song and to hear her for the first time alone. Her voice is a unique piece of art. So soft where needed, and then all of the sudden in the second chorus the power of Broadway took over. I was blown back into my seat. I know I go against the grain with this statement, but I absolutely LOVE voices that can belt notes. And there has been nobody in Celtic Woman to date who can belt a note like this girl. I wasn't sure what to think about having another Broadway voice in the group at first, I was actually indifferent about it. But it's remarkable how two stage voices can be so different. I can't wait to hear them as a quartette.

Next was the over the top fun of "Téar Abhaile Riú". Lisa and Chloë emerge as if from nowhere, but at first only Lisa. She makes her way into the crowd while singling and repeating da da da da da dee da da da dee da da daaa da dum. Then, out comes Chloë and things start to get real lol! They exchange back and forth while da da da da da-ing a few people in the audience. Susan comes out and joins in a bit and the girls can't seen to stop with their da da da-ing. Finally, they begin the march to Galway filled with its fine sailors, but alas work must be done in the morning. The Irish dancing was a huge success!

"Granuaile's Dance" was next and since it has been on nearly every tour if not all tours, Máiréad could pretty much do it blindfolded. It was perfect. My personal favorite Máiréad song, it showcases all her talent and shows her skill and passion to the max.

Lisa talks to us about anthems in Ireland and how singing is so important to their culture. For me, as a big Italian, I look at it as music being as important to the Irish as food is to we Italians. Some songs have become like second nature as they are passed from generation to generations. "Danny Boy" is performed with the help of the piano and was sung with the handheld mic's to add that personal audience connection. Not my favorite version of the song this tour around, but it's not like it sounded bad lol.

I never get tired of hearing the roaring vibrations of the "Mo Ghile Méar" drums. This is my all-time favorite Celtic Woman song. I believe it represents everything they are about and represent. No matter which selection of girls is singing it, it always sounds magnificent and pure. I've never heard a version with a voice that didn't quite fit....it just works every time. I love it. Act I came to a beautiful, yet quick end.

Most of the audience is enthralled to see Anthony playing the tune of "Amazing Grace" through the orchestra section of the dark theatre illuminated by solely the stage light. The song was sung with such elegance and grace, no pun intended.

Now here there has been a song switch and I'm not sure when it started.

Lisa remained on stage to sing "A Spaceman Came Travelling". What a powerhouse of a performance. She completely owns this song. The dance moves make it so much more fun and alive. She rocked it out good with pounding notes and effortless perfect pitch. I loved the song appearing in this spot. It has such a beautiful message and the way it's written creates a wonderful story. It was unexpected based on the reviews I read so who knows why the set list was rearranged.

"Songs From the Heart" was next including the way it was originally performed. "Walking the Night" is fabulously calm and peaceful. "The World Falls Away" followed perfectly with is longer uilleann pipe interlude. Susan again nailed out the powerhouse vocals. The ending to this duo of songs creates a boom and feeling of natural high like no other.

"The Water is Wide" followed with Susan introducing herself briefly. She was welcomed by a shattering of applause when she mentioned that this was her first tour with Celtic Woman. She sang the song beautifully. I still maintain that it should have been kept a group number. Lisa sings so gorgeously, but I just prefer it as a group....it seemed to have more of a celtic feel to me. Maybe because Órla's solo version is my favorite, I feel that way.

Ray's bodhrán solo was so much fun and he really got us in a great mood! He seems like an awesome dude, that's for sure.

Chloë decided to play teacher and give us some singing lessons for "Green Grow the Rushes, O. We were pretty good, but as Chloë said, "I'm stubborn, I stand up here all day until everyone is singing." She shined the lights on us to be sure we were all singing. She sang so effortlessly before having us repeat the chorus after her. I never knew it was a poem by Robert Burns, as is Auld Lang Syne which Lisa covered during the symphony tour....which is the most beautiful thing I've ever hear. I want it on a CD.

I'm glad the "Tribute to Broadway" still gets to be introduced by a Broadway girl. Lisa is in good hands. She sang "I Dreamed a Dream" with Chloë impeccably well. Lisa continued with "Circle of Life" as on the DVD. The crowd went wild for this part of the show. The girls did such a wonderful job.

The mood was changed dramatically as the choir came out following Chloë and huddled with lit candles. "Ave Maria" sent chills through the air. She elegantly used a microphone stand which added a personal touch to the song. She has such control over her voice and has such a vibrant stamina that is so apparent.

"You'll Never Walk Alone" came next and the dramatic tone is the most apparent, yet offset by the sweetness of Lisa's first notes. I love the mix of these emotions in all of the Believe songs. The Children's Choir could be heard through the playback, so that added a nice touch.

Máriéad came out to introduce "Women of Ireland" or "Mná Na hÉireann" (Mah-nah-herron). I must have heard 5 people around me say "oh my God she speaks" hahaha. She spoke so softly and elegantly of home and Irish music tradition. Such a beautiful artist, she is. She owned the night with this performance. The elegant tones of Ireland are so apparent, only to be followed by the Irish pub clapping and stomping we're so used to happening with Máiréad. The dance and fiddle duel was a hit like no other with the crowd. Standing ovation for her most of the night! Craig puts on a great performance.

The night must come to an end with "The Parting Glass". This song is a wonderful way to end the show. It has the obvious and apparent feel of parting ways and saying goodbye to those we love and cherish. For us in the audience, it's saying goodbye to the girls and the others.  It was a fantastic ending to a wonderful day.

The audience stood up for several minutes to applaud and to shout encore as loud as they could. Máiréad reappeared atop the trellis and began her Jimmy Hendrix rendition of Mo Ghile Méar reprise. She is really feisty and energetic, as always, but it seemed as though she was starting the show all over again. She must have an endless supply.

The girls take their final bow and finish out the Mo Ghile Méar chorus. They wave for a while and take their exits to the stage.

Phew! What a show! Sorry it took so long to get up, but hopefully it was worth the wait for those of you who enjoy reading these.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 10:42PM by Palmie00 » Logged

Maloney
Featured Soloist

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 11:10PM »

very nice.   Smiley

=)  yes!! We got to go ! 
Then there was Atlanta !
Dinozzzo
Honorary Roadie

The biggest French Fan

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 01:05AM »

Woow great review !

03/06/2010 : Wallingford, CT, United States
06/28/2011 : Hamburg, Deutschland
09/23/2011 : Paris, France
05/17/2012 : Dusseldorf, Deutschland
10/23/2013 : Amsterdam, The Netherlands
mattycakes
Honorary Roadie

Oh you have made me very angry, very angry indeed!

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 07:10AM »

What a fantastic review! Gets me uber excited for my show on the 24th here in Cinci! WOOT!!!!

Now! If only CET would mail me my tickets... Lol
barb kantartzis
Total Fanatic

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 02:50PM »

WWWWWHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTT!  You beat me to it! Lol its ok!  Nice review! And lol my layover to fly home to cle was philly!  Cool city by the way!

I I I I hear your voice on the wind, and I I I I hear you call out my name, listen my child you say to me I am the voice of your history be not afraid come follow me answer my call and i'll set you frrreeeee!!!!!!!
John910

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 01:33AM »

Great review  Smiley
Palmie00

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 07:57PM »

Thanks guys!!!! Smiley

greenfire6
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 10:03PM »

...hopefully it was worth the wait for those of you who enjoy reading these.

Are you kidding? I love this stuff!  Cheesy

Thanks Palmie for taking the time to write and post! It's a keeper!  Grin
Palmie00

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 09:06PM »

...hopefully it was worth the wait for those of you who enjoy reading these.

Are you kidding? I love this stuff!  Cheesy

Thanks Palmie for taking the time to write and post! It's a keeper!  Grin

Thanks!! I love this stuff, too.

Hubert
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 11:15AM »

I love reading all the concert reviews.  It just shows how dedicated and knowledgeable Celtic Woman fans really are.  And for a young person to be so into them is really cool.

There is no Lambe like our Lil' Lambe.  Mairead Carlin is the real deal.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: