Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 3/16/12 Manchester Review  (Read 3217 times)
Dan

Éireannach

« on: March 16, 2012, 10:04PM »

So I've just got in from the show here in Manchester and all I can say before a proper review is WOW. I'll have a full review of the show that kicked off St Patrick's Day weekend!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 12:55PM by Dan » Logged

20 June 2007-Portland, ME
22 March 2012-Manchester, NH
2 March 2013-Portland, ME
30 May 2014-Bangor, ME
28 March 2015-Portland, ME
28 June 2016-Lowell, MA
9 April 2017-Portland, ME
4 April 2018-Portland, ME
Dan

Éireannach

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 01:40PM »

Sorry this took so long! I had a wicked long travel day home yesterday. Oh well, that's the price I'm willing to pay to see Celtic Woman!

To start things off, this is my first CW show since June of 2007. It's weird to think about how much has changed with the group since I last saw them with all five original members. I knew that it was going to be a fantastic show regardless of who I saw performing with the group--but my expectations were completely met and then surpassed! I'll just start off by saying that the venue (Verizon Wireless Arena) wasn't really anything special. After a nightmare of trying to find where I was supposed to park and finally getting that sorted, I got crammed into my seat (and do I mean crammed!) and awaited the show.

When the lights went down and Mairead started the show, any complaint about my tiny seat faded. I felt like a kid at Christmas! It's one thing to see your favourite performers on TV and DVD's and listen to them on your iPod, but live? OHMYGOSH.

Mairead--she was on FIRE. From every other review I've read about her, that seems normal. I was a little worried about how the responsive the crowd was going to be at the show, but she had people up, (raising their glasses to her at one point) and really loving the show. I can't imagine it was like Red Rocks or other shows are, but she at least got some people up. I don't know anybody personally on CWF, but I'm betting those closer to the front than I was were the first on their feet for her. Can't say enough good about her.

Chloe--Oh. My. Gosh. The teenager who sang the dainty, delicate songs? Yeah, she's gone. This young woman is a forced to be reckoned with. She has grown so so so much as a performer. She engages the crowd in a way that I've only seen on a select number of occasions. Her personality is infectious, and when she talks to the crowd you could hear a pin drop.

Lisa--First time seeing her perform. I instantly attached to her upon first hearing her at the José Carreras Gala in December 2010 so I couldn't WAIT to hear her. She was incredibly captivating with her stage presence, and her voice is heavenly. She truly is the performer of our time. Her version of "Dulaman" is my new favorite! I got the privilege of seeing Meav perform it in 2007, and have since heard Hayley Westenra and Lynn also tackle the song. They both bring an original spin to the song as well, but there is just something about Lisa!

Susan--Yet again, WOW. When CW Ltd announced that she would be joining, I knew that we were all in for a treat. I'll admit I'm a *casual* fan of her brother's music so I knew that if he had a sister joining the group, then her voice and performance was going to be through the roof. Was. It. Ever. She blends right in vocally with Lisa and Chloe, and her/Lisa's solo pieces were so moving. I'm a musician, and because of that I perform a lot of songs repeatedly at different venues and locations. For someone to sing a song that she'd sung multiple times and hear a freshness and emotion that sounded like it was the first time moved my heart. I kept thinking in my head about the setlist and when I'd get to hear her again.

And now, on to the setlist! I won't take up a lot of time or space. Just a few blurbs about each song.

Awakening--A fantastic new opener! The harmonies are fantastic as always.
Dulaman--Oh my goodness. I liked this song before, but Lisa gives it a new jolt of energy. I hope the German tracks get released State side so I can listen to Lisa sing this!
Nocturne--I've loved this song for years. I remember hearing it way back when I was eight or nine. Naturally when I discovered Chloe was going to be singing this as part of the new special, I went nuts. Her live version has what I call the signature "Live Chloe" sound. She manages to combine a classical style with a belting style with a hint of Irishness. I love it.
The Foxhunter--Mairead got the crowd to their first standing O! The crowd seemed a bit dead at first, but not after this song!
Sailing--Some new, lovely sounding harmonies as well as a tin whistle intro. Not bad, but I miss the violin.
A Woman's Heart--I wasn't too jazzed with this song on the DVD, but live is a whole new story. Amazing. Such passion! The lighting was a bit off though. We could hear Lisa before we saw her.
Follow On-Susan's first solo. I was completely in love with her voice by the end of the song.
Teir Abhaile Riu--Fantastic intro! The dueling between Lisa and Chloe being joined by Susan was priceless. It was obvious that they were all having great fun with the song. When the girls were holding hands and swinging at one point, I noticed Susan doing a little head bob; it's great to see when the performers are having just as much fun as the crowd is!
Granuaile's Dance--Wonderful. Amazing. *Insert other fantastic words about Mairead here* Still can't say enough good of her!
Danny Boy--I'll be honest. Having the name Daniel meant hearing people sing this at (not to) me my entire life. Meav's original version was nice, as was the four piece acapella that the girls started doing when Alex and Lynn joined. But this? THIS? Oh. Wow. My long hatred of this song died. I can't get over how well Susan, Chloe, and Lisa blend when they sing together.
Mo Ghile Mear--This is my absolute favourite Celtic Woman song. Whenever a new tour starts up, especially with new members, I scour YouTube to see/hear if anybody has caught this song. The girls didn't disappoint. I think I weirded out the people next to me by singing loudly. No matter!

Amazing Grace--Tears. Lots of tears. I've liked this song for as long as I've been a Christian, but I loved it after the show. It took a lot to hold off doing what I have deemed the "ugly cry." I wasn't sad, just overjoyed at the message of the song, as well as hearing my favourites sing it.
Spaceman Came Traveling--At this point, I'm fairly certain that they changed the setlist. If not, someone who was there correct me! Lisa dazzled yet again. I'm beginning to wonder how she spins in those heels and that gown? Being a man...yeah, I won't finish that as I wouldn't wear that getup to begin with!
Songs From the Heart--'Walking the Night' made me tear up again. It brings back memories of people in my life that I have such a strong bond and love for, but they're now either gone or I never see them. For songs to actually stir something in me is huge, and these women do it!
The Water is Wide--Susan is my new favourite. Well, between her and Lisa Lambe I can't really choose. Let's just say that I'm really hoping the group goes back to a 4 vocalist ensemble after Lisa Kelly rejoins next year. Alex became my favourite with her style of singing, and I was so sad to see her go. Thankfully, we have another Broadway style singer with Susan! I've heard this song done in a million different ways, but never with such POWER!
Ray Solo/Green Grow the Rushes--Overall, I'd give the crowd a 5 out of ten. Ray managed to get a few of them up and going. After his bodhran solo, Chloe came out to introduce GGTRO. I had floor seating toward the back of the section, and even around me, I couldn't hear a lot of people singing. Thankfully Chloe had the lights put right out over the crowd, and then I heard more singing. Smiley Fabulous song. I'm partial to the Cherish the Ladies version, but hearing Chloe and Lisa Lame/Kelly do this song makes me love it in a whole new way.
Broadway Tribute--I'm running out of positives! Susan and Chloe have such a sweet, but powerful sound when they harmonize. Throw Lisa Lambe in, and you have blissful harmonies. It's times like this that I wish we could buy a copy of the show afterwards. I WANT TO HEAR THIS AGAIN!
Ave Maria--It seemed to me like Chloe could never shake this song. She's done, what, three different versions now? This one is by far the best. It really shows off her classical background. I also saw people wiping their eyes and then gave her a standing ovation. For a "meh" crowd, good on ya Chloe!
You'll Never Walk Alone--Yet another song I'm not crazy about. Live, though? Totally different story. Awesome!
Mna na Eireann--I'm as Irish as they come (Counties Cork, Armagh, Wicklow, and Antrim for those who would ask :p), and I've heard this song done by family members. Naturally, I have a bias toward how it is performed--now, my bias is for Mairead and the duel she has with Craig the dancer were E-P-I-C!
The Parting Glass--Lisa introduced this song, and wished us all well. She also wished us a wonderful Saint Patrick's day before starting the song. Hearing this song always reminds me of my grandfather, and hearing CW do it made me feel like I was listening to his stories, violin, and singing once more.
Finale/Mo Ghile Mear--The Hendrix violin style should never leave the show. Just saying. Smiley At this point, I didn't want the show to end. Fantastic, amazing, incredible.

Naturally, I give the show 10 out of 10. In spite of what Scott correctly called a "wooden" audience, they gave it 1000% and gave me one of the best nights of my life. Here's to the next concert!

30 May 2014-Bangor, ME
28 June 2016-Lowell, MA
Scott

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 08:19PM »

Good review Dan!  I recall chatting with you long ago in the chatroom.  I wish you had walked over and talked to us during intermission.

Dan

Éireannach

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 08:28PM »

I would if I knew what any of you looked like!  Wink

30 May 2014-Bangor, ME
28 June 2016-Lowell, MA
Scott

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 08:47PM »

I would if I knew what any of you looked like!  Wink

You didn't see that bunch of nuts up front all decked out in tour shirts with tons of fan buttons?  That was us! Cheesy

Dan

Éireannach

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 08:29AM »

Did one of you have a t-shirt from the New Journey tour on?

30 May 2014-Bangor, ME
28 June 2016-Lowell, MA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: