Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orla's solo album  (Read 13763 times)
Siobhan
Total Fanatic

Everywhere you go, let your dreams surround you

« on: April 13, 2007, 03:42PM »

Who else *really* loves Orla's individual album, The Water is Wide?  It is a quiet medley of songs, but they are so beautiful and so contagious in the way that I am always singing them after I listen to it and then looking forward to listening to it again.

My favorites are Aililiu Na Gamhna, Cad E Sin Don Te Sin, Na Buachailli Alainn, Carrickfergus, Siul A Run, and the Water is Wide. (That's a lot of favourites, but I had trouble narrowing it down to even that.) What are yours?

When you think of me
sing a heart-spun song
When it's over,
sing it once more.
When you dream of me
dream when I'll meet you
on that distant shore.
CWFan2
Total Fanatic

Love You Always Lisa!!

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 04:41PM »

I do have Orla's "THE WATER IS WIDE" CD but have not as of yet found the time to listen to it. I've had so much CW stuff coming in (CDS and DVDS) that at the moment, I actually can't get caught up to all of it. I will in time, of course. As much as I LOVE Orla, I'm sure I will also love her solo CD as well. As soon as I can get to it, that is.

Amazon must wonder what I'm doing. In the past month, I've ordered 9 CW CDS and 7 CW DVDS. Plus ... 3 different books on Ireland and Irish History and Celtic Culture. And, I'm not done yet. Next up is Meav's solo offerings. Then I still have to get Chloe's and Mairead's too. I know how I am. I'll have to build a small warehouse to store all my CELTIC WOMAN items before I'm done. Whenever that might be. If I'm ever done. Which I probably won't be. Ever done, that is. As long as these six Heavenly Angels continue to rain their beautiful music down on us all, I will never be done.

Peace to all ... Bill

Still And Forever ... Our Angel From Heaven
mainopsman

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 10:48AM »

When I leave work after and extra stressful day, I put Orlagh's Solo CD on the player in my car.  Her voice, an angel's voice, seams to smooth the stress out of me.   In my line of work that is not an easy thing to do, but she does it every time.
I can't wait for her next CD, hope it comes out soon.

JIM

Dedicate some of your life to others.  Your dedication will not be a sacrifice.  It will be an exhilarating experience because it is intense effort applied toward a meaningful end.   Dr. Thomas Dooley
Stu Mostinsky
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 12:44PM »

Who else *really* loves Orla's individual album, The Water is Wide?  It is a quiet medley of songs, but they are so beautiful and so contagious in the way that I am always singing them after I listen to it and then looking forward to listening to it again.

My favorites are Aililiu Na Gamhna, Cad E Sin Don Te Sin, Na Buachailli Alainn, Carrickfergus, Siul A Run, and the Water is Wide. (That's a lot of favourites, but I had trouble narrowing it down to even that.) What are yours?

I absolutely love Órlagh's solo cd.  My favorite song is Cad E Sin Don Te Sin.  (as you can see from my signature)  When I first tried to purchase the cd, it was out of print and unavailable ANYWHERE!  This was back in the very early days of CW. I even tried to order it from Celtic Collections (the mother company) but they were unable to help me.  I was forced to take matters into my own hands, so I got Órlagh to send me a copy from her home.  It arrived with a wonderful handwritten letter from Orlagh herself, and I will treasure it always.  It is by far my favorite accoustic cd in my entire collection!  Thanks again Órlagh! Smiley Smiley
<3 Lauren
Total Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 02:45PM »

i love orlagh's solo cd! and my favorite song IS *The Water is Wide* Smiley

<3 Lauren

<3
Texas Chava

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 05:20PM »

I love "The Water is Wide" too.  My favorites are "Carrickfergus", "Cad E Sin Don Te Sin", and "Na Buachailli Alainn".  I love the peacefulness of her solo album and her harp playing.  I especially love anything she sings in Gaelic.

Banner by Scott
Sassy

Ni Caoim

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 02:18PM »

I can't wait till I get my copy!  I've listened to her songs on ANJ DVD repeatedly and I listen to the sample songs on Amazon for her solo cd until I get mine.
Stu Mostinsky
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 05:42PM »

Hi Sassy,
"The Water is Wide" is very different from her work with Celtic Woman.  Órlagh's cd is very intimate.  It is accoustic with her accompanying herself with the harp.  Half the songs are in Irish Gaelic, and the rest in English.  My favorites are in Irish Gaelic.  The cd is very beautiful and no doubt you will enjoy it from beginning to end.
Sassy

Ni Caoim

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007, 05:44PM »

I already love the brief snippets they give you on Amazon and I can't wait to hear it Stu. I love the traditional songs, even though I have trouble hearing the prounciation.  I loved when Orlagh accompanied herself to Carrickfergus and I know I'll love this new CD.  Smiley

CWFan2
Total Fanatic

Love You Always Lisa!!

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2007, 06:40PM »

I already love the brief snippets they give you on Amazon and I can't wait to hear it Stu. I love the traditional songs, even though I have trouble hearing the prounciation.  I loved when Orlagh accompanied herself to Carrickfergus and I know I'll love this new CD.  Smiley

Ahh but Sassy ... 'tis Orlagh. How could we not love it! I have this CD also and yes, as a big fan of Orlagh, oh yeah, love it. I don't see any reason why you too would not love this CD Sassy. Here's to enjoying Orlagh's ... "The Water Is Wide" ...

... Bill

Still And Forever ... Our Angel From Heaven
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2007, 10:07PM »

I got the CD today and am listening to it now. So soothing. I don't know which version of Carrickfergus I like best the one on her solo or the one on ANJ. I was surprised to see that Lisa has a version also. Such a beautiiful meaningful song. May have to record it to another CD , back to back. Orla (ANJ), Lisa, Orla (solo).

The harp with Orla's singing really gets to me. Not to take away Lisa's version but maybe it is the harp that makes the difference.

Wish she had another solo.

Now all I need is Maired and Chloe's

Jim

Jim

Edit: I found Maired's yesterday at Walmart and couldn't resist. Now only need Chloe's.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 07:58AM by zankoku » Logged

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
mainopsman

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 08:22AM »

I recently purchased an extra copy of Orlagh's solo CD as a gift for an Irish nun who goes to my church.  The next Sunday, when she saw me all she could do was to thank me over and over.  She said it reminded her so much of her childhood back in Ireland, and that Orlagh had the voice of an angel. (This something all of her fans say.)  She too asked if Orlagh had made other CD's.   I told her not yet, but we are hoping soon.  I then gave her a copy of ANJ to keep.   Now CW has a new big time fan.  Sister Pat.!

JIM

Dedicate some of your life to others.  Your dedication will not be a sacrifice.  It will be an exhilarating experience because it is intense effort applied toward a meaningful end.   Dr. Thomas Dooley
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2007, 09:24AM »

Jim

It is good to keep Irish nuns on your side.

Grin

Jim

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
Texas Chava

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2007, 06:25PM »

Great story Jim, we need to keep the nuns on our side, and I'm not even Catholic!  I cannot imagine anyone not fallilng in love with Orlagh's voice, it is truly what the angels must sound like! Roll Eyes

Banner by Scott
Coleen
Global Moderator Emeritus

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2007, 07:07PM »

My favorite song on Orlagh's CD is The Water Is Wide.  Everytime I hear the song, I think of Orlagh.  I've always thought that it would be a good song to play at a wedding.  During my cousin's wedding last month, the organist played it during the ceremony.  While he was playing it, I leaned over to my husband and said, "That's The Water Is Wide.  Orlagh sings this song."  And he said, "I know."  It tickled me pink.   Smiley

Thank you for the lovely banner, Mel.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: