Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Keep On Believing  (Read 3505 times)
Jack

« on: January 02, 2013, 08:58PM »

Wasn’t sure where, or even if I should post this, but it seemed fitting to start a thread here.  Historically, there have been numerous posts from young people on the forum who feel the world is closing in on them and they don’t know what to do.  We all know how difficult the transition is during the “tween” years and we don’t always have the answers to their problems.

Over the past two or three years I have become a huge fan of East Asian singers and their music, and I discover new (to me) and talented ones almost daily.  A couple of days ago I discovered Angela Aki and a song she wrote at the request of the Japanese public broadcasting company to be sung as a compulsory song in the 75th NHK National School Music Contest in 2008, Junior High, 12-15 year age group.

She named the song “Tegami - Haikei Juugo no Kimi (A Letter - Greetings To A 15 Year Old)”.  Her Japanese version below has english subtitles that can be a little confusing, though the meaning comes through clearly.  The second version of the same song is sung by the young choral members for whom the song was written.  It is very pretty and very touching.  There doesn’t seem to be a dry eye in the house, and as old and crusty as I am, I too, find it hard to hold back the tears as I see the emotions pouring out of these young people.  Just remember to keep on believing........

Angela Aki:   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpDqLsWC6HU

Youth demonstration choir:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99JwtwX5eSc

Sometimes I feel that adults, even though we've been there, don't appreciate the built-up emotions and stress of the young people all around us today.

Note:  Angela Aki was born in Japan to an American mother and a Japanese father.  In her mid teens they moved to Hawaii where she attended school.  She is also a graduate of George Washington University.
The Impatient New Yorker
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 08:03AM »

I remember those years, not the best but I will always reflect on them.

I've met Lisa L, Lynn(2x), Susan, Mairead C(2x), Mairead N (2x), Edel, Sarah, Nick, Craig, Anthony, Maggie, and Tommy
littlecubspirit
Honorary Roadie

Mairead and Misha- Pixies!

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 05:23AM »

Those years weren't too far away for me to remember. I still struggle with some identity issues even now that I'm a bit older. If you feel lost remember that you have friends here who care and that growing into the person you are meant to become doesn't happen overnight.

MY REVIEW OF MY THIRD SHOW IS UP!

I MET LISA L, CHLOE, MAIREAD N, SUSAN,  MAIREAD C, LYNN, EABHA,  DAVID, SARAH/EDEL, CRAIG, NICK, RAY, ANTHONY!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: