Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Feel like a failure and don`t know what to do  (Read 8180 times)
IloveyouSarahBurke!! <3
Choir Member

When You Believe~ Chloe:"that was for you" 5/15/15

« on: January 13, 2013, 04:28PM »

So, some of you know about how I had an interview at the Minnesota Childreb`s Museum this past Wednesday. I knew I sucked in the interview, but I didn`t think I sucked THAT bad.. I just heard that I didn`t get the position I was hoping for, which is hard because the museum is my 2nd home and I`ve been volunteering there for 4 years. I told myself if I didn`t get the position, I would still volunteer, but now I just don`t know. I honestly think they made a mistake not hiring me (I`m not trying to be selfish or sound self absorbed). My whole life is children and I was counting on this job. Now I`m stuck and don`t know what to do or where to turn. Luckily I have a job, and that`s not going anywhere, but I feel like such a complete and total failure right now. I don`t wanna eat, read, work on my budget or anything. I just want to stay in my bed, curl up and vanish. I`m not in any danger, I promise... I just don`t know what my purpose is anymore.

Thanks Scott! 
I MET CHLOE (6X),LIL' LAMBE (4X)MAIREAD NESBITT(6X)AND SUSAN(6X) MAIREAD CARLIN(4X) ALEX SHARPE,and EABHA!!!!!!!!!!
leighlam
Featured Soloist

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 04:34PM »

OH SARAH!!  I'm so sorry to hear that. *HUGS*
This too shall pass.  We are here for you.

littlecubspirit
Honorary Roadie

Mairead and Misha- Pixies!

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 05:11PM »

Sarah... my heart is aching for you. You're one of the best friends I have ever had and I love you so much. I can tell you right now, you are definitely not a failure. You have more strength and courage than a lot of people I know, and that list includes myself. If you did not get the job, it was not meant to be, but somewhere out there is something even better. It's there, even if you cannot see it yet.

There is a reason you are here, I fully believe that. For now, focus on healing. I will always be here for you.

MY REVIEW OF MY THIRD SHOW IS UP!

I MET LISA L, CHLOE, MAIREAD N, SUSAN,  MAIREAD C, LYNN, EABHA,  DAVID, SARAH/EDEL, CRAIG, NICK, RAY, ANTHONY!
urbanracer34
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 06:23PM »

I'm very sorry to hear that Sarah. *HUGS*
You are in no way, shape, or form, a failure. You're smart, you're beautiful, and you're one of the sweetest people I know through the 'Net.

I'm always here for you if you want to talk or vent.

There is a reason we're all here on CWF, some of us just don't know what it is yet. Wink

I'm Jerad. Smiley
CWazy since 2012!
CompTIA A+ certified, Long time Apple product user.

Banner by Kirstie. Thanks! Smiley
Celtic Chan
Bodhrán Player

Queen Méav

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 06:31PM »

Big, enormous hugs to you, Sarah! You are not a failure, you just feel crappy. We've all had times where we felt like we can't do anything cuz we're depressed or disappointed in ourselves. I know it's hard, but try to get your mind off of the bad things. Think positive, like everyone here knows that you are not a failure & like leighlam said we are here for you.
Kevin R.I.
Featured Soloist

my two favorite green eyed ladies

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 07:08PM »

awww, Sarah....you`re not a failure.....this is just a temporary setback .   Like Gen. Sherman said to Gen. Grant  after they lost a Civil War  battle " tough day, huh?"    " yeah, but lick`em tomorrow".

thanks EVI

Hi Kev, I sneeked into your account as you know, wanted to say: love you!!!!

Love, Evi.
Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 08:56PM »

Hi   Sweet  Sarah....   Smiley  GREAT BIG HUGS TO YOU!      Hey.... there could be a multitude of reasons someone else got the position.   I know its tempting to think that it might be due to some failing within yourself.  But please resist that urge.   they probably had a number of qualified people  , like you,  but only one gets to be chosen.   During this  awful recession in this country  even  Harvard grads and top notch Cal tech students have been finding it hard to get a job.   You are sweet, funny, witty young lady with lots to offer. It will only be a matter of time before you will have a shot at something awesome.  I just know it.   Smiley

Hubert
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 12:19PM »

I agree with James.  I would really like to know how many applied for that job and what the qualifications of the job winner were.  I know it may be difficult but please don't stop your volunteer work there.  Let them know your determination to gain employment there.  You are still young so keep pursuing your dream.  All of your forum friends are firmly with you in this.

There is no Lambe like our Lil' Lambe.  Mairead Carlin is the real deal.
barb kantartzis
Total Fanatic

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 07:38PM »

oh dear Sad sorry to hear that. Trust me, from feeling that way more than once it will get better! Even though I know were not supposed to say that , but it does! You just cant let the past bother you and look foward. Believe me it is the worst feeling like you dont want to do a hing but it wil pass in about a few days! Just lift your head up and keep going! Even if it feels like the world is heavy! There is always something better!  You just have to look at all the positives in your life that outway the bad!!  Oh and take a day to do something you  like to feel better, it works really well! Smiley

I I I I hear your voice on the wind, and I I I I hear you call out my name, listen my child you say to me I am the voice of your history be not afraid come follow me answer my call and i'll set you frrreeeee!!!!!!!
Ganconagh

Resistance is futile

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 04:54PM »

Smiley Smiley Smiley
Check this out:

Some folks may get a smile outta this guy’s situation; others may grimace in embarrassment for him; his friends and family rooted him on, but somebody in the stands took his picture and labeled him FAIL.  If you judge him by whether he’s gonna win the race, yeah, he failed.  BUT look again…

Here’s a guy running a race, he’s 25 meters behind everybody else, and he hasn’t cleared a single hurdle; and yet he’s still in his lane, he’s still running, and he’s headed for the next hurdle.  Ya know what(?)… when he finishes this race, he’s gonna feel better than the guy who finishes in second place.  He’s gonna use this race as a learning experience.  He’ll know that he is not afraid to compete, that he can go the distance, and maybe most importantly:  he will know that he has friends and family who care and who are on his side cheering him on every step of the way.  Wink Smiley
  You. will. be. fine. 
   Smiley Keep the faith. Smiley

"Face piles of trials with smiles.  It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free."
CelticWomanAddict
Total Fanatic

You'll Never Walk Alone

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 08:39PM »

Sometimes when God closes one door it means He has something even better for us down the road  Wink

barb kantartzis
Total Fanatic

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 06:59AM »

Sometimes when God closes one door it means He has something even better for us down the road  Wink
]
so true!

I I I I hear your voice on the wind, and I I I I hear you call out my name, listen my child you say to me I am the voice of your history be not afraid come follow me answer my call and i'll set you frrreeeee!!!!!!!
kirstie_x
Bodhrán Player

Fill the glasses one more time!

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 05:29PM »

So, some of you know about how I had an interview at the Minnesota Childreb`s Museum this past Wednesday. I knew I sucked in the interview, but I didn`t think I sucked THAT bad.. I just heard that I didn`t get the position I was hoping for, which is hard because the museum is my 2nd home and I`ve been volunteering there for 4 years. I told myself if I didn`t get the position, I would still volunteer, but now I just don`t know. I honestly think they made a mistake not hiring me (I`m not trying to be selfish or sound self absorbed). My whole life is children and I was counting on this job. Now I`m stuck and don`t know what to do or where to turn. Luckily I have a job, and that`s not going anywhere, but I feel like such a complete and total failure right now. I don`t wanna eat, read, work on my budget or anything. I just want to stay in my bed, curl up and vanish. I`m not in any danger, I promise... I just don`t know what my purpose is anymore.

Aw big hugs hun, it's so hard being knocked back from a job, especially when you know you can it amazingly well! I've been in the same place as you are now- I worked as a cleaner & would be in to cover for anyone who was sick, and I applied for every job they advertised... 4/5 interviews over a period of 2 years, and each time I was knocked back... It does leave you confused, upset and a bit lost, but DON'T give up! Count each and every knock back as experience. I felt like you do know, but I refused to let it beat me down, as much as I wanted to stay at home and say no to being asked to cover, I sucked it up. and now after 3 years I've got the job & from not letting it beat me I've gained more experience. It sucks big time but you are NOT a failure, try not to let it affect how you feel volunteering, ask for feed back about your interview, and use it to your advantage, another job will come up & you'll learn from this time round, and do better next time... Stick at it darling, sometimes things don't work out as we plan, but lead to bigger and better things. Smiley If it's what you enjoy doing, and want to do with your life, count everything as experience Smiley chin up!!

All I ask is that you want me as a friend  Kiss
Celtic Woman Home For Christmas August 7th 2013-best night of my life Smiley

Thanks, ShiningBright Smiley
Jennifer

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 06:40PM »

Smiley Smiley Smiley
Check this out:

Some folks may get a smile outta this guy’s situation; others may grimace in embarrassment for him; his friends and family rooted him on, but somebody in the stands took his picture and labeled him FAIL.  If you judge him by whether he’s gonna win the race, yeah, he failed.  BUT look again…

Here’s a guy running a race, he’s 25 meters behind everybody else, and he hasn’t cleared a single hurdle; and yet he’s still in his lane, he’s still running, and he’s headed for the next hurdle.  Ya know what(?)… when he finishes this race, he’s gonna feel better than the guy who finishes in second place.  He’s gonna use this race as a learning experience.  He’ll know that he is not afraid to compete, that he can go the distance, and maybe most importantly:  he will know that he has friends and family who care and who are on his side cheering him on every step of the way.  Wink Smiley
  You. will. be. fine. 
   Smiley Keep the faith. Smiley

This basically sums up what I was going to say. Thank you Ganconagh!
AggieGuy
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2013, 10:29PM »

I know I'm pretty new here, and usually not very good with advice, but it's amazing how often you can encounter someone online who has the same type of experience.

I've volunteered at the George Bush (41) Presidential Library & Museum which is located here at Texas A&M University, and have for what seems like forever.  I also have two degrees in American history, a BA from A&M and a MA from Sam Houston State University.  I have a good job, but in something that is completely unrelated by my degrees, but it pays the bills and should have my student loans paid off in the next year or two.

Anyway, a couple of times a year various positions will open up at the museum for which I am fully qualified, but so far have never gotten.  In fact I've only had one interview in the entire time I've been applying.  It's depressing, but I won't give up, nor will I stop volunteering there when I can.  In the end, I may never get a job there.  I might end up going for my PhD at another university, or maybe I'll get my dream job of working for the NPS at Pearl Harbor.  I actually know the man who runs it (via a mutual acquaintance) and he'd told me to apply, but right now, due to the cost of living in Hawaii, it doesn't make financial sense until I'm out of debt.

Anyway, don't give up looking for and applying for the kind of job you truly want.  It might mean looking elsewhere and moving.  I look for jobs elsewhere, but so far haven't found one which pays good enough.  The things I want, such as a job in my field and a family of my own (meaning a girlfriend and then wife) so far have been strikeouts, but I won't stop trying/looking, even when it feels like neither will ever happen.  I know it is far easier to say it than to do it; far too often I probably don't take the same advice when it is given to me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: