Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Welcoming what tomorrow has to bring ~ Celtic Woman in Amsterdam  (Read 3864 times)
MaryNorth93
« on: June 16, 2012, 09:17AM »

Wasn't planning to review all the songs, but just couldn't resist...  Roll Eyes Well, it turns out to be almost every song. And further the moments which stood out for me and some random observations, some random thoughts and gibberisch.. as I already told once, like to use 50 words instead of 10  Wink The day was such a blur of awesomeness, but I've tried to recall it logical.

Before the Show

As much as I was looking foreward to it, I was also slightly worried. Last year I did not really know what to expect. Songs from the Heart is my least favorite dvd (no, not because of the ladies or music. Because of the production), and didn't know what to expect live. Believe is my favorite dvd since A New Journey. It was great how the stage was brought back to a more sophisticated look, and loved the Fox-setting. When talking about the music, even the songs I didn't like really much at the beginning, grow on me really fast such as The Water is Wide, which is now a favorite. Would the live show leave me with same feeling? Actually, this evening was going to be mindblowing.. 

After school I met up with Irma, my friend who joined me last year in the SFTH-concerts. This year we wouldn't be going with the three of us (my other friend didn't go this time  Sad) We had agreed to meet up with Saskia (Egwene) and her mother, and with Evi, her father, sister and friend who's names escape me at the moment  Embarrassed Sorry, still lacking sleep. First we ate by the McDonalds(Okay, not really stylish. But hey, we're all poor students!  Roll Eyes)  and after that we went to the Heineken Music Hall. First of all was I absolutely thrilled to go there for the first time. Not sure about it's international status, but here in Holland it's a well-known and loved theatre.

First thing I wanted to do was buying a program book but they turned out to be sold out in Antwerp. A bummer, but at least I have the pictures from it. After a cup of coffee the group seperated and I took with Irma our places which turned out to be a pleasant suprise! Last year when the tickets went on sale I didn't had the money on that moment, but thought it wouldn't take such haste. When I bought row 8 'was the best seat available' But when we took place we turned out to be sitting in the exact center, close to the stage with an excellent view. Slowly the people were coming in, actually, it was getting almost full  Shocked A journalist claimed in 2008 that the show was poorly attended and rows were 'hidden' with black screens, that was definately not the case here!

When waiting for the show did Irma and I have a nice chat with a lovely guy sitting next to us, who claimed to be dragged along by his girlfriend  Cheesy As a good boy, he loved the show. Too bad the good guys are always taken... A lady behind us told she has already bought all the dvd's and she was finally getting to see them for the first time, asking what we knew about them and or they were 'good' live. 'Uh yeah.. more than good actually.'  Cheesy After spotting the audience a bit further it was obvious it was a 'senior' audience, but there were also children and a fair amount of 'youngsters' Where have all those fans been hiding?

The Show

Finally, it became dark...

The ladies were looking great. Obviously worn-out, but still great. No doubt it helped them to know this was their last show.

Awakening was gorgeous. Especially the background music and drums were very intense. The Heineken Music Hall claims on their site 'they have the best accoustic' in Europe. Well I don't know anything about it and it's no doubt a fightable statement, but the music would keep up at this level for the entire evening. The audience was like last year a little stiff in the beginning, but luckily it wouldn't take long before everyone was in ikt.

Chloe gave a little welcome speech to the audience before singing Nocturne. She spoke a little Dutch, which sounds very cute with an Irish accent. After that she gave a astonishing performance. It doesn't knock Galway Bay away as my favorite Chloe solo, but well done miss!

The Foxhunter was drop-dead awesome. I actually like it over Granuaile's Dance. A man in the row before me my said a little dry 'that was energy!'

Loved Tommy's gorgeous intro to Sailing. It somehow gave the same mystical feeling to it as Beyond The Sea. This was one of those songs which I didn't like in the beginning, but grow on me really fast. Love the dramatic orchestrations and harmonies.. and gotta say.. Susan got fine moves!

Speaking of Susan.. it was time for Follow On. I was so thrilled yet worried. Follow On is my most favorite song of the Believe-dvd, not many CW-songs have really pulled my heartstrings. It moves me so much because I'm because of my autism not the best in making friends, and the song kind of says what I would want to say sometimes. It's such a beautiful, humble song. A requests. Susan did it surely different, but she added the same sweet softness to it, with some very impressive broadway-notes. I don't know or I like her version better, but was just as moved as by the dvd-version. Many people think they are broadwaysingers, but some can actually do it. Susan has everything about her which I love some much about broadway. It would be great if she stays.   

Teir Abhaile Riu was definately a hit. When the ladies started their 'daddada' everyone was looking completely confused to see where it came from. LL sat on someone's lap but couldn't see who. When Susan interrupted everyone just died laughing  Cheesy Like with At The Ceili you wish you had a pair of extra eyes because there is happening so much on stage. At one moment I was laughing so hard when Máiréad was flirting with Dermot and Chloë was walking 'angry' to her, M pretending to be caught  Cheesy It was one of the highlights of the evening and the people went wild.

Danny Boy was a pleasant suprise. I really won't drop a tear if it would be removed from the show, but like it with the piano accompaniement much better! It gave that sentimental feeling like you're in a bar. Some impressive harmonies too.

Nothing interesting to note about intermission besides grumpy staff. Typical, such a great event, such unpatient people.

Time for Green Grow The Rushes!!  :-bust Another huge fave. I was very curious though, how would miss Agnew get an Dutch audience singing along? Cheering is one thing, but singing along....

She gave a charming speech with a few of her usual comments, than asked if the audience was up for 'little challenge..' Very few cheers. She joked: 'Hey, that wasn't exactly the response I was hoping for!' which has everybody laughing. Than she started to introduce the song and started the first practice. (Irma was óverjoyed to have the oppurtunity to sing along, I need to silence her sometimes in the show) it started soft, but soon enough there was a fine amount of singing. Chloë joked that if we would keep up with this level our team would surely win the soccer match against Germany that evening  Cheesy (it didn't work out in the end though. We've lost with 2-1 Roll Eyes) I don't think I've ever seen an artist connecting so good with an audience as Chloë did that moment. Hope they keep this up in the show for a long time. Lisa joined in and amazed me once again with very fine vocals, she isn't only versatile in stage-presence. Loved every second of the song.

Spaceman was great. It isn't really a favorite of mine but live is it very different, don't know what the techs did but the music was just flowing. A song which only Lisa Lambe can do. Same for You'll Never Walk Alone, I actually used to hate this song (try not to when your dad and brother are ''singing'' it during every soccer match) but like CW's version much better, and it was really powerfull. Halftime some people in the audience started to sing along.

Don't remember on which moment in the show it was, but Ray's solo was cool too. I was first confused when he entered the stage than I remembered it from the reviews. Some awesome drumming, after a moment of cheering he made a very 'cool' face and said: 'bedankt' (Dutch for thanks) which was gave a good laugh to everyone. Of course are all the crew-members to CW equally important, but hope Ray will be around for a very long time!

Women of Ireland was moving and great. The slow part was very tender and the fast part was badass. The way Craig can move like that without breaking his legs is asthonishing. And one another moment M was playing a very high note when holding her head upside down with a face like 'you think you can take me?!  Cool  I think the best comment I've ever read about Irish dancing was this: 'people don't get their mind on this and call it gaaay... the Irish actually do this to dance on your face after a barfight'  Cheesy

Then when Lisa begins to talk you know it's almost over... But I don't mind The Parting Glass replacing You Raise Me Up at all actually, I prefer it. The first time I heard it was by The High Kings but I don't think I've a favorite version. It's such a powerfull old song which everyone can enjoy in some way. This time the audience is on it's feet and the ladies are granted a standing ovation. The Finale has everyone going really nuts and M breaks a few strings, you see, nothing unsual.   

After the Show

After the show the group wanted to wait by the backstage-door in case they would be willing to do a m&g. I was like 'yeah why not? They are not going to that' Security was slightly suspicious but we kept our distance so there was no reason to send us away, some were actually interested in why we were there. The first CW-related person we saw was Ray and we had a little chat with him, he drily said we made the 'right noise' during the show and very nice. After that he walked to his bus, but walked back soon, appeared to be the wrong bus  Cheesy Later Lisa came out the door and we cheered, she waved but walked away. I was like 'you see?' Perhaps I secretly hoped they wouldn't be doing it.. But we didn't mind, she already looked very tired during the show.

But a little while later Chloë came out of the door and she walked our way.... Insert cartoon jaw-drop. Hold on, 22-year-old-Celtic-Woman-member-who-you-only-have-seen-on-youtube-or-stage-is-coming-your-way  Shocked I know it sounds cheesy, but I've néver expected this was going to happen so never actually thought about what I should say to one of them or what I would do. She was very sweet and asked or we enjoyed the show. She signed and took a few pictures. When I finally had found myself being able to ask for a picture or sign she walked away and I didn't dare to ask it anymore. Then I started to realize what I just missed and felt bad. Trying to cheer me up with, 'hey, at least you've seen and spoken her..' But not soon after came Máiréad out of the door, we cheered and she saw us. For one moment she seemed to walk away but she actually reacted totally suprised to a man and woman's presence there, she hugged them and had a chat with them. Friends or family perhaps? We kept our distance politely and short after she walked to us, with a sharpie in her hand with a face like 'come on, I'll show you what I can do!'  Cheesy She asked what we thought about the show and told how much she loved the wild audience. Fínally I dared to ask for an autograph, since I had no program book or expected this Meet & Greet I had nothing fancy to sign, so she signed a crumpled piece of paper, actually my tickets which I ordered and print online. I'm not complaining!  Cheesy

We took a few more pictures, group and personal pics. What I was really amazed about is that she really spend attention to everyone. One moment I started to shake. I was cold and simply worn out, got up at that day at 6 am, had a big presentation at school, and had very much social activity. Enjoyed every second of it, but it's still exhausting for an autist. M saw it: 'are you so cold?! You poor thing!' and rubbed my arm a bit. Didn't get much further than 'yeah, a little bit', but was simply touched because she saw me in a group of people who are socially so much more capable. At one moment Bubba asked her to leave and she said goodbye. Three done, one more to go. But security had changed from being interested in bored and send us away. We told we wanted to wait for Susan but a guy claimed she already left. Well, none of us saw her actually leave, but well.. we were already very happy with what we got and left. (Two girls just like a M&G in America Cool) Well, I was very shy and haven't spoken much, and a shame about not taking the chance with Chloë, but having a autograph and pics with M is happiness is not even the right word to describe my mood. After some very girly screams me, Irma, Saskia and her mom travelled back with the train, overjoyed in a group of mainly depressed soccer supporters  Cheesy

Having some new courage for the following time. And it seems the M&G-virus has found me, at last.

Rock on ladies, thanks for everything!!

A few pictures. Courtesy by Evi & Saskia

Egwene

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 12:21PM »

Thank you so much for this review! I cannot say more about it. There were indeed a few highlights in the show: Nocturne, Ray's solo (me cheering way too loud, which made the audience laugh..), singing along with Green Grow the Rushes and the most amazing informal M&G after the show!! Hope you don't feel too bad for not having a picture with Chloë, but I saw you really enjoyed talking with Mairead.
I was sitting in the second row, far right. I couldn't see all the stage, but I heard everything loud and clear. Behind my mother and me there was a mother with son who cheered and clapped with the same energy as other fans (turned out they were also fans). They really liked it! Too bad I didn't got his phone number.. Ah well. It is an evening to never forget. Talking with Chloë about the show while she was signing my tickets and taking photo's with her. She was so friendly! I really don't have a clue what she said to me, but I loved every single second of it. After that meeting Mairead.. It was all amazing!

It was great to meet you and Imri, Evi + sister, friend and father. If they come back next year, we have to meet again! Smiley

One beautiful picture with Chloë (Thank you so much Evi, for giving this to me!)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 12:29PM by Egwene » Logged
MaryNorth93
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 12:40PM »

Thanks you!!! It was awesome to meet you and the others too, certainly because we had much more time to talk this time than such a short intermission like last year. Gorgeous picture, that's one to treasure forever!! Still need to spam Evi for the other pictures, want to know or I'm actually not looking like a zombie on those Cheesy

Oh they need to come back.,... they can't ignore that my hands did still hurt the next day  Roll Eyes
Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 01:06PM »

Hey!   Great pics of the gals...gals.    Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes   

Dinozzzo
Honorary Roadie

The biggest French Fan

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 01:20PM »

Amazing review !!! Cheesy So happy you met the girls Cheesy Grin

03/06/2010 : Wallingford, CT, United States
06/28/2011 : Hamburg, Deutschland
09/23/2011 : Paris, France
05/17/2012 : Dusseldorf, Deutschland
10/23/2013 : Amsterdam, The Netherlands
greenfire6
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 10:50PM »

Wasn't planning to review all the songs, but just couldn't resist...  Roll Eyes Well, it turns out to be almost every song. And further the moments which stood out for me and some random observations, some random thoughts and gibberisch.. as I already told once, like to use 50 words instead of 10  Wink The day was such a blur of awesomeness, but I've tried to recall it logical.

Beautiful! (But where's the gibberisch?  Huh Cheesy)

I loved it all.  Cheesy Thanks Mary for taking the time to put your review and pictures together for us. So glad you and your friends made the Amsterdam show, had a great time, and got in on one of those very rare informal meets. (In my book nothing beats an informal meetin' and greetin'  Smiley ).

Huge thanks also to Egwene for the additional picture!!!

What a wonderful night you ladies had! Thanks for sharing!  Smiley
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 08:27AM by greenfire6 » Logged
MaryNorth93
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 05:40AM »

Thank you all!! Haha, when trying to review this day I really tried to sort my memories out, it often turns out in gibberisch  Roll Eyes

It certainly was amazing. It feels great because they weren't obliged to do it, but still came anyway. I didn't expect them to do a M&G at all, didn't wait last year in Utrecht by the backstage door but heard they hadn't done a M&G there. Plus they were obviously tired during the show (still singing and playing like the best, just badass! Cool) It was also a little bit of luck I think, because security didn't really mind us there. That has been different. 
roy

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 01:22PM »

Thank you for the good review of that last show there.So glad you got to see them after the show.The pics are great!!Thanks for sharing your terrific experience with us.
Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 02:54PM »

Thank you all!! Haha, when trying to review this day I really tried to sort my memories out, it often turns out in gibberisch  Roll Eyes

It certainly was amazing. It feels great because they weren't obliged to do it, but still came anyway. I didn't expect them to do a M&G at all, didn't wait last year in Utrecht by the backstage door but heard they hadn't done a M&G there. Plus they were obviously tired during the show (still singing and playing like the best, just badass! Cool) It was also a little bit of luck I think, because security didn't really mind us there. That has been different. 
  Glad you had a good time.  Smiley  It's hard to miss with our wonderful Celtic Cuties, isn't it.  Wink 

Starman
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 03:59PM »

Great review, MaryN!  I'm so glad you got to meet Chloe and Mairead!  We need to get word to them that in you they met one of their biggest fans!  Meeting Ray must have been a thrill too!  Thank you for being our eyes and ears for this Amsterdam show!   Cool Cool Cool

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: