Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Two overlooked gems.  (Read 9568 times)
Wyle_E
Bodhrán Player

« on: August 03, 2012, 07:02PM »

I'm surprised that there are no comments about he two exquisite a capella quartets, "Over the Rainbow" and "Somewhere." We know that Mairead and the chorus are offstage at the start, but it took me a few seconds to realize that the orchestra was silent. AFAIK, these arrangements are unique, a tour de force for David and for the ladies. The live audience must have felt frustrated by the inadequacy of mere applause.

On May 8, I'M GONNA MEET MAIREAD and Lisa, and Susan, and Mairead C.!
Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 07:39PM »

Good points   Wyle  E.   Cool   Yeah...I'm not sure which  'Somewhere"  I like better...the ANJ  or the one from the original Helix concert. They are both fantastic.  Besides the venues and the dresses and the order in which the ladies actually lined up, the arrangements seemed virtually identical. I wonder if David used the same arrangement for both.  Undecided  I wouldn't be surprised.   Even though Chloe and Orla had fine parts in these ( without doubt) Meav  and Lisa carried  the song like a pair of "musical bookends"  as I like to say.   David D. is a genius for creating such a  unified ensemble for such a group of diverse kinds of talents. Lisa and Chloe being "normal"  sopranos, Orla as Alto and Meav, I dare say,  is probably what I have recently learned,  what is called  a  "colortura"  soprano.  Such a beautiful song to begin with and as Lisa said in the "Interview"  section of the original DVD- "You could hear a pin drop".   And "Over The Rainbow"....Hmmmm....that one makes me swoon.  Kiss     They all have such good parts in that one too. Although it starts off with Chloe,  Hayley and Meav try NOT to "steal"  the show on this one.  Again...they all do a lovely job, but Chloe's voice ( although quite beautiful) is still developing here as she is about 16 in this concert.  Hayley has such a "dominating"  voice yet also very disciplined.  Great arrangement here as well-I agree.  Smiley  I wonder if anyone besides David D. has thought of that song as a quartet before. Anyway...I like this topic. 

Whistler

Lisa Kelly / The Voice / Ms. Rhythm

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 10:25AM »

Agreed, these are both great pieces.  It's cool to focus entirely on the Ladies and their voices -- how each of them sings to contribute to the overall harmony, and the harmony itself.  The songs are also well placed in the set (I would think David is behind that).  Each comes near the end of one half of the show, a close, quiet moment between performers and audience before the final songs.  Of course, the whole set is arranged just as well. Smiley

Hubert
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 10:12AM »

I remember the first time I saw ANJ on PBS.  All the ensemble pieces were awesome and I have fond memories of these two.  Then I saw ANJ live in 2008.  They were even more impressive there.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 03:33PM by Hubert » Logged

There is no Lambe like our Lil' Lambe.  Mairead Carlin is the real deal.
Wyle_E
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 10:58AM »

I remember the first time I saw ANJ on PBS.  All the enemble pieces were awesome and I have fond memories of these two.
Then I saw ANJ live in 2008.  They were even more impressive there.
Ya lucky barstid! I'd have happily sold a kidney for a good seat at ANJ.

On May 8, I'M GONNA MEET MAIREAD and Lisa, and Susan, and Mairead C.!
Irish CW Fan
Total Fanatic

Paint With All the Colors of the Wind...

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 09:15PM »

Very good points Raving Meaviac. I definitely agree about Hayley's voice being very dominant, yet having immense control, ESPECIALLY on Over the Rainbow. What exactly is a colortura soprano?

Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 05:20AM »

Very good points Raving Meaviac. I definitely agree about Hayley's voice being very dominant, yet having immense control, ESPECIALLY on Over the Rainbow. What exactly is a colortura soprano?
 Good question.  A soprano-in general-  is a voice that ranges from  middle "C"  to the second   "A"   above it.  A "colortura"   can hit  "High "F" .  NOT counting  "Mezzo Soprano",  which lies between  regular soprano and alto,   there are three types of  true sopranos:  "Lyric" (which describes a light, pretty voice)  "Dramatic"  which is characterized by sustained opera type power, and  "Colortura" which is described as having great range and vocal agility. These terms are normally used in the field  of opera when referring to the person singing, but it can also refer to the kind of voice itself.   Someone may correct me if I'm  wrong, but I don't believe that Meav has ever done opera.  In my humble  " layman's opinion" ,   I would describe Meav's voice as having  "Lyric Colortura"  qualities  which is a combo of two.   We all know that Meav has an incredible range. (  I have heard 5 octaves)  And she slips into these higher registers like it was second nature. This is why her style SEEMS  effortless.  Examples, off the top of my head would  be  her rendition  of  "Solveig's  Song"  when she is  gently caressing those high trills- part's of "Dante's Prayer", and  "Celtic Prayer"  when she hits very high notes with great facility.  I DON'T  believe that she would be the 'Dramatic" type, though she can conjure up power when the song calls for it.   I just started learning this stuff a few months ago myself, so I hope this answers your question.    Smiley
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 05:26AM by Raving Meaviac » Logged

Irish CW Fan
Total Fanatic

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 07:13PM »

Good question.  A soprano-in general-  is a voice that ranges from  middle "C"  to the second   "A"   above it.  A "colortura"   can hit  "High "F" .  NOT counting  "Mezzo Soprano",  which lies between  regular soprano and alto,   there are three types of  true sopranos:  "Lyric" (which describes a light, pretty voice)  "Dramatic"  which is characterized by sustained opera type power, and  "Colortura" which is described as having great range and vocal agility. These terms are normally used in the field  of opera when referring to the person singing, but it can also refer to the kind of voice itself.   Someone may correct me if I'm  wrong, but I don't believe that Meav has ever done opera.  In my humble  " layman's opinion" ,   I would describe Meav's voice as having  "Lyric Colortura"  qualities  which is a combo of two.   We all know that Meav has an incredible range. (  I have heard 5 octaves)  And she slips into these higher registers like it was second nature. This is why her style SEEMS  effortless.  Examples, off the top of my head would  be  her rendition  of  "Solveig's  Song"  when she is  gently caressing those high trills- part's of "Dante's Prayer", and  "Celtic Prayer"  when she hits very high notes with great facility.  I DON'T  believe that she would be the 'Dramatic" type, though she can conjure up power when the song calls for it.   I just started learning this stuff a few months ago myself, so I hope this answers your question.    Smiley
I have learned about all the rest of vocal names, as music is one of my passions. I am a mezzo soprano myself, i enjoy singing in that range. Meav does not seem to have an end to her upper range! If you listen to Carol of the Bells, her notes, "Ding, Dong" will absolutely blow you away. Another thing about her is that she also has great technique.

Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 08:02PM »

I agree 100%  IrishCWFan !    Smiley  Meav's technique is absolutely flawless.  I love the  ACC   DVD too.   I know what you mean about the "Carol Of The Bells".  Her  "Silent Night"   is another "blow you away"  moment as well.  I love how Meav  drifts , soars and glides an octave higher than the rest with the greatest of ease.  If you don't have it already, I would highly recommend  her  Anuna  CD  "Celtic Dreams"  which feature a lot of wonderful high notes.  And  Meav is such a classy professional in every way!   I could go on and on.....    Smiley   

Irish CW Fan
Total Fanatic

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 07:41PM »

I agree 100%  IrishCWFan !    Smiley  Meav's technique is absolutely flawless.  I love the  ACC   DVD too.   I know what you mean about the "Carol Of The Bells".  Her  "Silent Night"   is another "blow you away"  moment as well.  I love how Meav  drifts , soars and glides an octave higher than the rest with the greatest of ease.  If you don't have it already, I would highly recommend  her  Anuna  CD  "Celtic Dreams"  which feature a lot of wonderful high notes.  And  Meav is such a classy professional in every way!   I could go on and on.....    Smiley   
I have heard "Silent Night" and "O Holy Night" by Anuna with Meav and Lynn singing..dynamic duo if i've ever heard one.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: