Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Name Meav  (Read 5854 times)
Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« on: September 21, 2012, 10:18PM »

Just today, I found an interesting book by  someone named Sean  McLaughlin .  It's called "Celtic Names" -  their meaning, history and mythology.  It seems that the name "Meav"  is a variation of another spelling-  Maeve.  Another spelling is  "Maebh".....pronounced the same way.  The name apparently means one who is a bringer of great joy or one who is intoxicating.   I think this is quite apt for our Celtic Songbird.  Further more, the "Old Irish"  spelling is  "Medb".  (also pronounced the same way)  The original   "Medb"  - according to McLaughlin-  was a  legendary warrior queen of the land called Connacht.  She appears in the Irish epic, "The Cattle Raid Of Cooley".  continuing to quote McLaughlin...... "feeling she had met her match, she left King Conchobar Mac Nessa for Ailill.    But they clashed over which one of them possessed the more illustrious herd of cows.  Her attempt to buy a prestigious brown bull resulted in a bloody war between the people of Connacht and Ulster. "  In my opinion, this describes a woman of strong will and conviction.  Although I am sure our Meav would eschew  such violence, I would still  like to think that she is also of strong will and conviction - just like her namesake.  I just thought this was interesting. I like understanding the meaning of names. 

Whistler

Lisa Kelly / The Voice / Ms. Rhythm

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 04:30PM »

I know a Maeve, so I was familiar with that spelling, but not the others.  I wonder if our CW Méav was named with that history in mind.

Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 04:43PM »

I know a Maeve, so I was familiar with that spelling, but not the others.  I wonder if our CW Méav was named with that history in mind.
  Yes....I was wondering that to.  Undecided  It would be fascinating to find out.

Celtic Chan
Bodhrán Player

Queen Méav

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 04:53PM »

Thanks for posting this! Grin I found it interesting that her name could also be spelled "Maebh" & "Medb". Wink
Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 05:04PM »

Thanks for posting this! Grin I found it interesting that her name could also be spelled "Maebh" & "Medb". Wink
  Yep.... it's interesting  how languages develop over time. I'm guessing those alternate spellings are   less frequently used now.  I wouldn't mind learning more about the Irish language in general too.  Smiley     I did a double take at first when I saw  the spellings and squinted my eyes.  Cheesy   

Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2016, 10:05PM »

Yep.... it's interesting  how languages develop over time. I'm guessing those alternate spellings are   less frequently used now.  I wouldn't mind learning more about the Irish language in general too.  Smiley     I did a double take at first when I saw  the spellings and squinted my eyes.  Cheesy   
BUMP

CWazyTom
Honorary Roadie

One CWazy Canadian! Chlovër for life!

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2016, 05:39PM »

BUMP

I've found this site helpful for pronunciation:
http://www.standingstones.com/gaelpron.html

I'm afraid I won't be of much help as far as the history or how such pronounciations / spellings evolved.

Tara Forum (@TaraMcNeilForum)
http://www.taramcneillforum.com/
https://www.facebook.com/TaraMcNeillForum/

CaraNua Fans (@CaraNuaFans)

Candy Canadiana (@candycanfans)
https://www.facebook.com/CandyCanFans
Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 05:09AM »

Cool !  Thanks  tom     Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up