Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The first one to capture your attention?  (Read 66154 times)
Alanna

« on: April 13, 2007, 09:33PM »

Some posts on this forum made me think about this.  If you can recall, I'd like to hear stories of which lady you first laid eyes on and which one captured your attention first!

For me, it was Orlagh.  She was the very first Celtic woman I saw (on Youtube!) when she opened "You Raise Me Up" in a Japanese TV studio.  She was easy to identify because she's the only redhead, and it was also easy to fall in love with her voice because it was unlike anything I had ever heard before.  It was so soft and magical.
Soon after Orlagh followed Lisa, Mairead and Hayley, but in time I came to love all.  I don't think I'll ever be able to "rank" them, however.  The order in which I fell in love with the individual ladies has nothing to do with the degree of love or preference I have for them. Wink

Meldy

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 09:46PM »

I kinda had three:  Orlagh, Meav, and Lisa with Orinoco Flow.  I mean I admire all the ladies and they are incredibly talented but I just kept on listening to them and noticed Lisa a little more.

Banner by:  Scott
Matt

CHLOE AGNEW ROCKS MY FACE OFF!! lol

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 09:54PM »

for me it was chloe and lisa sing the first ya-da-da's on The Sky and the Dawn and the Sun. Chloe cought my attention because she looked so young and lisa has a voice (the Voice!!! lol I'm so corny!!) anyway..... she has a voice similer to mine.
m.k.c.
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 09:56PM »

I think Lisa and Chloe were the first two I saw. I remember thinking Chloe was Charlotte Church and then being like, "Wait, no...who is that? And then I saw Lisa smile. So she was the one that really caught my attention first, but I've gone back and watched them all to see the different the performances of all of them ( though I admit I have a hard time not watching Lisa out of habit  Wink)
jsharp

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 10:29PM »

It's funny from a Lisaphile, but the first CW I saw was Meav and she hooked me into the show. We were surfing channels and came across the Helix show right before "Moved through the Fair" came on and when I saw that I was a goner. Later on I fell harder and harder for Ms. Kelly, but Meav was my first CW.

“You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” - Anne Lamott

JEdwards
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 10:59PM »

The first song I saw them sing was "Beyond the Sea." Initially, they were all equal partners-in-crime in the hijacking of my heart, but Lisa and Meav quickly emerged as the ringleaders. By night's end, tho, Meav ruled. (P.S.:  She still does!)  Wink
fireyred09
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 11:24PM »

jsharp,

Ironic? I am definitely a Meav fan, as you all might know, but initially, Lisa was the one who got me hooked! Guess we just swapped!

That is not to say, however, that I don't still love Lisa! By all means, she's amazing!  Wink
Anderpaw
Total Fanatic

Love the pipes!

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2007, 01:43AM »

It was definitely Lisa who first grabbed my attention. I'll have to admit, please don't throw things at me, it wasn't their voices at first.

jsharp

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 04:56AM »

It was definitely Lisa who first grabbed my attention. I'll have to admit, please don't throw things at me, it wasn't their voices at first.

With us guys that's implied! I'll quote myself from the wildly OT Best Buy thread at lisakelly.org:

No shame in it. When I first flipped past the Helix show on PBS, my Y Chromosome screamed "Stop here! Now! Beautiful women in strapless gowns!" Then I found out they sounded like angels. But the view hooked me first.

However, it's not impossible (as some have said) to divorce the two now. I can get lost in the music itself.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 05:00AM by jsharp1701 » Logged

“You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” - Anne Lamott

Celeste

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2007, 06:48AM »

With us guys that's implied!

Most guys I know have major crushes on Chloe (and I've seen weblogs say the same) -- always being respectful about what they write, of course, owing to her age.

For me, Chloe definitely caught my attention first. I read about her on another forum (not having to do with music), and was entranced. This was right before the PBS broadcast of the Slane Castle concert, and I've been a fan ever since.

Kelsey

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2007, 08:20AM »

I'm not sure who hooked me first.  Meav and Lisa both captured most of my attention, and now Meav is #1 in my heart. Smiley
Kelsey

SusanZ
CWF Global Moderator
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2007, 08:36AM »

The first lady that really got my attention was Orlagh playing the harp and singing "Carrickfergus". It just sounded so lovely and she really looked like she was into the music. I have had friends in the music business tell me that the harp is a very difficult instrument to master - she made it look so effortless and she was singing to boot! It didn't take me too long to fall under the spell of all the other ladies after that.

As for all the healthy males out there, if you didn't notice how lovely these ladies are I would be worried! My husband isn't as big a fan of their music as I am ( I'm working on it though) but even he admits these ladies are easy on the eye!!

Susan

"We create our tomorrows by what we dream today"
Thanks Hayley for the great banner!!
Dan

Éireannach

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2007, 08:46AM »

The first one to catch my attention was Órlagh as well. I think it was on an advert on TV for their first album, and she caught my eye during Orinoco Flow and later on in what I think was Síuíl a Rún.

20 June 2007-Portland, ME
22 March 2012-Manchester, NH
2 March 2013-Portland, ME
30 May 2014-Bangor, ME
28 March 2015-Portland, ME
28 June 2016-Lowell, MA
9 April 2017-Portland, ME
4 April 2018-Portland, ME
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2007, 08:48AM »

For me it was Maeve and Lisa. Maeve got me hooked and Lisa drew me in. I had taped the Helix show and played it many times, then taped ANJ and played it until I kept leaning on the controller and recorded over them. That's when I decided that the DVDs were safer.

Jim

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
Western_Rose
Total Fanatic

A Dark Haired Girl

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2007, 09:34AM »

Well I'm not sure who it was but when my Dad was flipping thorough the channels one day I kept on seeing this pretty singing girl in an evening dress and kept wondering who it was, he eventually stopped on PBS and there was Chloe but I know it wasn't her before.

"Make a joyful noise unto the Lord all the earth" Psalm 100:1
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: