Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Follow On  (Read 7151 times)
Potato Pants
Honorary Roadie

<3meav<3

« on: October 09, 2012, 05:45PM »

After listening to this song a whole lot, I've realized that the lyrics don't make a whole lot of sense. Does anyone know what this song means?? Huh

AKA CelticWomanFreak (CWF)

Proud member of the Gosh Dang Potato Gang (Idaho)
6/6/13: Best night of my life. Dreams really do come true.
Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 06:02PM »

I'll give it a try......   The song, I believe, speaks of friendship or even love. But for sure a good strong friendship- strong enough to last through " fair or stormy weather" or  "whatever tomorrow may bring".   She doesn't know what lies down life's road, but she is sure that she wants to spend it with whoever she's singing to.  The song describes a town in chaos, lonely men who only have the future to look forward to.  The second verse describes uncertainty in another way- "lost in a spiral without ending".   Everything else is variable and uncertain, but the beloved subject of the song remains  the only one she can rely upon and the only one who can make her feel free. The one who  " frees her with a touch" is the only one she can rely upon when everything and everyone else she can't.  I hope this gives you a starting point.  This is what I get out of it.   And it also seems like she wants to escape everyday life and even embraces the unknown as long as her soul mate is with her.    Smiley

TheWhite~Rose
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 06:23PM »

The song was originally sung by Paul Brady who was from Northern Ireland.  I think I read somewhere that the song was written in response to the northern conflicts.  I could be wrong though.  Undecided  

I imagine this song to be about a friendship (or as Raving Meaviac said, love) that lasts through all of life's ups and downs, even during the tragic moments.  In the end after all is said and done (haha), life goes on--I can imagine the singer asking his friend to accompany him on that journey to whatever end.  Does that make sense?  I'm not really good at explaining things sometimes (that and I'm really tired right now Tongue).
MaryNorth93
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 11:35AM »

Couldn't have said it better Tuatha Dé Danann! For me it's my favorite song from the entire Believe dvd, not many CW-songs have moved me so much as this one.
oregongirl29
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 02:36AM »

I'll give it a try......   The song, I believe, speaks of friendship or even love. But for sure a good strong friendship- strong enough to last through " fair or stormy weather" or  "whatever tomorrow may bring".   She doesn't know what lies down life's road, but she is sure that she wants to spend it with whoever she's singing to.  The song describes a town in chaos, lonely men who only have the future to look forward to.  The second verse describes uncertainty in another way- "lost in a spiral without ending".   Everything else is variable and uncertain, but the beloved subject of the song remains  the only one she can rely upon and the only one who can make her feel free. The one who  " frees her with a touch" is the only one she can rely upon when everything and everyone else she can't.  I hope this gives you a starting point.  This is what I get out of it.   And it also seems like she wants to escape everyday life and even embraces the unknown as long as her soul mate is with her.    Smiley

I agree with that. This is my new favorite song of Lisa K's. I can relate to this song so much
Potato Pants
Honorary Roadie

<3meav<3

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 09:52PM »

Wow, I just realized I started this thread like 4 months ago and I never responded to the answer. Tongue Thanks for that James, it makes a lot more sense now. Smiley

AKA CelticWomanFreak (CWF)

Proud member of the Gosh Dang Potato Gang (Idaho)
6/6/13: Best night of my life. Dreams really do come true.
littlecubspirit
Honorary Roadie

Mairead and Misha- Pixies!

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 02:08PM »

The interpretations above are correct, I just wanted to add that I sent "Follow On" to my boyfriend of five years, and he LOVED it. Since our parents don't approve of our relationship, and we both have disabilities that may limit our time on this earth significantly, it describes our relationship wonderfully. We draw strength from each other and love each other with all our hearts.

MY REVIEW OF MY THIRD SHOW IS UP!

I MET LISA L, CHLOE, MAIREAD N, SUSAN,  MAIREAD C, LYNN, EABHA,  DAVID, SARAH/EDEL, CRAIG, NICK, RAY, ANTHONY!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: