Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Review: San Antonio May 19th  (Read 3450 times)
Scott

« on: May 20, 2013, 11:21AM »

After only a few days wait, my next Celtic Woman show came up, this time at San Antonio.  For me this would be my "home" show as there was no show this year in the metro area of Houston where I lived.  I had had one show here prior, near the end of the spring 2011 tour.  That show had been an amazing one and I hoped for a repeat.

For once I did get enough sleep the night before a show.  Lester, who had bought Roy's ticket, came to pick me up at 7:30am and we drove out the three and a half hours to San Antonio, talking all the way about Celtic Woman past and present.  Once we parked we headed over (using a very confusing downloaded map) to meet Edd and Hubert.  I especially wanted to meet Hubert for the first time.  We had lunch at the eatery across from the venue, where Tink and Coren and I had dined two year earlier.  We were joined for this lunch by Edd's cousin Julio, who had ridden with Edd from Mexico but who was going to wander around the city during our show.  Hubert and I especially found much to talk about; we both found that we had met several fans in common.  After Lester and I changed our shirts at our vehicle we headed to the venue for the show.

The Majestic Theater is built into an old, many story office building in the heart of San Antonio's downtown.  The outside does look pretty good as old theaters go, but the inside is spectacular: a restored old theater, the lobby area is fairly palatial with large alcoves containing comfy benches for sitting.  The theater itself has fake walls inside set in a Spanish colonial motif, with a blue domed ceiling with light points that look like stars, much like the Fox Theater in Atlanta.  The balcony extends very far out, it has a sharp angle, and goes back quite a ways; we decided to walk up to the balcony to get a look at the view from up there.  This theater has no pit, with the center of the front row set back about ten feet from the stage (and this fact would have an impact on the show during one song, later).  The stage itself is about average height with plenty of space separating the front row, but the white tape line on the stage is set perhaps 15 feet from the stage edge.  The seats are for some reason built really low in this venue, at least to me.  We had three of us in Row D, band-side: from the center it was myself, Edd, and Lester.  Hubert had a front row seat at the extreme edge of the piano side.  I had two empty seats to my left.  I also kept my eye on two empty seats in front row center, slightly piano side.

"Awakening!!!" The three of us gave a standing ovation, but this crowd was one of the most disinterested crowds I'd ever seen; the couple in front of me were texting... Chloe sang the entire first chorus of "Nocturne" while looking right at Edd and I... "Coast of Galicia" was evidence that the balcony crowd was actually participatory, as they could be heard clapping heartily along; it was the orchestra section that was flatlined; at the end of the song Mairead blew a kiss, thank you Mairead... "Caledonia" met with Lester's approval; he leaned across Edd after the song was over, tapped me, and whispered: "That was really good!"... "TAR" did elicit chuckles even from the floor; Chloe sat on the lap of one of the patrons about four seats to Lester's right; the girls were giving a spirited performance today, for sure... "Mo Ghile Mear" was great as always, but it's sad when the only people giving an end-of-half standing ovation are the forum fans.

At intermission I pointed out the empty front row seat to Hubert and he decided to take it.  I also suggested to Lester that he take the other; for Lester and Hubert this was the last show of the tour and this way they could go out with a bang.  We were joined by Mark (Sidepocket) and Katherine, whom I thanked for accomodating Blanca during our successful College Station exploit on last year's Symphony Tour.  Also joining us were Dennis and Susan, who I had met at the In-N-Out at Temecula during the first Symphony Tour; this was turning into my own little "This Is Your Symphony Tour Life" haha.  But then it was time to continue.

I have seen many crowds surprise me over the years, but this circumstance takes the cake as being the most totally unexpected and one of the most satisfying that I have ever beheld: as Anthony began "Amazing Grace" everyone in the place spontaneously cheered; but unlike at previous shows this cheering ENTIRELY drowned the bagpipes out.  The crowd also cheered again when he mounted the steps, again when he turned on stage to face the audience directly, and one final time when he finished his part.  Then, after a fantastic rendering of the rest of the song, the whole venue gave a wholehearted, emotional standing ovation; I had tears in my eyes, now THIS was the San Antonio that I remembered!!!  As we all sat down, the lady behind me could be heard saying to her husband: "How are they ever going to top THAT?"

They certainly tried to top it, with "She Moved Through the Fair"; Chloe's first few lines somehow felt different this time, in a way that I can't explain, and hearing it made me remember again why Chloe Agnew is my favorite singer in the entire world... during "Circle Of Life" I thought again of those fans who weren't here with us for this show and who I had promised to cheer for today; and for a few moments each of those fans occupied that empty seat beside me in the Majestic Theater... this time with "Nil Se'n La" the choir made their way all the way to the open area in front of the stage to dance and twirl, which surely pleased Hubert and Lester no end; the crowd was now clearly changed and the orchestra patrons were now clapping along pretty well except the odd curmudgeon here and there... Lisa spoke her intro to "Bridge Over Troubled Waters" and I was already choking up before she was even done talking as I recalled another special conversation that I'd had with a fan the night before; I gave her a boisterous standing ovation and the kiss she blew me will always remain in my heart... a bit of a surprise was the reception for "Mna? Na hE?ireann"; it got a solid standing ovation and Mairead and Craig took an extra bow...
"Ave Maria" was as beautiful as ever, and about half the crowd gave Chloe a standing ovation for it... "THE VOICE!!!" Susan's performance just touches me more and more each time.

After a slightly longer curtain-call wait, Mairead came out again for "Encore Finale".  People stayed on their feet!!!  The clapping of the crowd smashed loudly through the theater as Mairead absolutely tore into my favorite song.  Edd and I went nuts, yelling and screaming, as the girls returned to the stage.  What a way to end my last indoor concert of this tour.

The four of us (maybe you can call us the Four Desperados haha) made our way out to the stage door to at least wave to everyone as they departed.  There wasn't much room on this sidewalk but we were rewarded with some quality time with the cast.  I had a relaxed, ten-minute conversation with Dermot as he and I both leaned up against the brick wall of the theater.  It was the kind of conversation you'd have with a friend.  Finally Craig interjected from the knot of people he was with and said they had to get going.  I did tell Dermot how much we fans in the orchestra section do enjoy the choir's "unplugged" sound when they are not miked up.  Thank you again Dermot for not only giving me some of your time but also making me feel like friend.  For those keeping score, I did get to say hello to Sarah Gannon, but that was it, they had no time left.

Edd and his cousin had to head back to Mexico as Edd had to work on Monday.  Hubert, Lester, and I walked along San Antonio's Riverwalk until we found PizzaRita's and sat down with some ice cold beverages.  Finally, after a couple pictures at Lester's vehicle, it was time for Hubert to head back to his hotel, and Lester and I drove back to the Houston area.  I was home by 11:30; the entire trip had been 14 hours, by far my shortest of this tour.

Roy and I had assumed that this show would be a downer due to sheer accumulated exhaustion for the cast due to the schedule.  I was dead wrong.  This show, especially the dazzling second act, can be placed on the list of special Celtic Woman events that I have been privileged to attend.

San Antonio may be over, but all these shows so far have been almost preliminary, like a preface to a massive story that is yet to unfold.  That story will happen next month, at my favorite place in this world, on the most dramatic stage imaginable.  The place: Morrison, Colorado.  The stage: Red Rocks Amphitheater.  The time: Chloe's birthday.  Performing: Celtic Woman World Tour.  An amazing bunch of forum people: there.  The anticipation: absolute.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 02:02PM by Scott » Logged

littlecubspirit
Honorary Roadie

Mairead and Misha- Pixies!

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 12:44PM »

\during "Circle Of Life" I thought again of those fans who weren't here with us for this show and who I had promised to cheer for today; and for those moments each of them occupied that empty seat beside me in the Majestic Theater...

Awww, this made me smile. I promised I would be with you in spirit, and I was! Best part about being with someone in spirit is it's the only time I don't have to worry about whether or not the seat I occupy is actually accessible!  Grin Tongue

Lisa spoke her intro to "Bridge Over Troubled Waters" and I was already choking up before she was even done talking as I recalled another special conversation that I'd had with a fan the night before; I gave her a boisterous standing ovation and the kiss she blew me will always remain in my heart...

Looks like this song finally knocked you backwards. Grin I'm glad our conversations have been so special to you. Music is one of the purest most universal methods of communication. <3

Glad to hear you had such an incredible night, and from this review it looks like there is definite merit in going to multiple shows per tour, so I think such a thing is now definitely on my radar! Thanks, Scott

MY REVIEW OF MY THIRD SHOW IS UP!

I MET LISA L, CHLOE, MAIREAD N, SUSAN,  MAIREAD C, LYNN, EABHA,  DAVID, SARAH/EDEL, CRAIG, NICK, RAY, ANTHONY!
Texan

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 04:04PM »

Scott,

Thanks for the review! Enjoyed your company, enjoyed everyone's company. And that of course is how it should be.

The concert was fantastic. Nothing better than a CW concert. Love 'em. We'll do it again.

Lester

Appreciation is a wonderful thing: it makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.

Thanks for all of your wonderful music Deirdre
Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 07:27PM »

Liked  the review.... Cool  Sounds like you guys had a blast ! 

Texan

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 08:07PM »

Liked  the review.... Cool  Sounds like you guys had a blast ! 

Oh yes. You bet we did! Not a better way to spend a couple of hours. They still inspire me.

Lester

Appreciation is a wonderful thing: it makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.

Thanks for all of your wonderful music Deirdre
Hubert
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 10:21AM »

Thanks for the review, Scott.  Those are memories that will last a long time.  It was really great to meet all of you and share the experience.  I will be thinking of you on June 9.

There is no Lambe like our Lil' Lambe.  Mairead Carlin is the real deal.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: