Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 152   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Little Things that Make You Happy  (Read 594272 times)
leighlam
Featured Soloist

« Reply #1860 on: December 21, 2015, 07:43PM »

You are welcome Lanti Smiley

Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #1861 on: December 24, 2015, 02:02PM »

When Santa brings me good presents. Smiley
Last year, I got a package of dead batteries and a card that said TOYS NOT INCLUDED. Sad
Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #1862 on: December 24, 2015, 10:22PM »

10  day  vacations .....   Grin

Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #1863 on: December 28, 2015, 06:13PM »

Red Velvet cake with cream cheese frosting. Wink
Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #1864 on: December 29, 2015, 08:18AM »

Winning   the  championship  game  of  one  of  my  fantasy  leagues.   Smiley

Kevin R.I.
Featured Soloist

my two favorite green eyed ladies

« Reply #1865 on: January 01, 2016, 04:16PM »

getting Christmas goodies from Germany....marzepan is awesome!  and doing CHRISTNEKKAH with Amy and Sasha.

thanks EVI

Hi Kev, I sneeked into your account as you know, wanted to say: love you!!!!

Love, Evi.
Lanti SF
Honorary Roadie

Proudly diagnosed Celtaholic!

« Reply #1866 on: January 01, 2016, 08:30PM »

Meeting up with old friends that I haven't seen in ages

Thanks Godshorsegirl!
Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #1867 on: January 02, 2016, 11:43AM »

Still having  a  bit  of  vacation  left.   Cool

Lanti SF
Honorary Roadie

Proudly diagnosed Celtaholic!

« Reply #1868 on: January 02, 2016, 08:05PM »

Prof just emailed the syllabus. I don't need to drop $300 on a new biochem textbook.

Thanks Godshorsegirl!
ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

let it carry me through darkest night

« Reply #1869 on: January 03, 2016, 04:27AM »

getting Christmas goodies from Germany....marzepan is awesome!  and doing CHRISTNEKKAH with Amy and Sasha.

Lübecker or Königsberger?

Lübecker Marzipan is raw and either pure, or with chocolate (sometimes with rum or coffee in it) or in lots of cute shapes like pigs or apples or carrots. It's certainly the most popular kind of Marzipan here and it's really incredibly diverse - it ranges from super cute to really sophisticated.

Königsberger Marzipan is mixed with rose oil, alcohol and powdered sugar and then flamed, often with icing or jam added and it heart or round shapes. It's rather rare nowadays... you can sometimes (rarely!) find it in shop or really good confectionaries. I've made some for Christmas... but I guess most people don't even know what that is.

May I ask, is American marzipan different in a way? I've seen it on a list of least popular foods in the USA, and in Gilmore Girls the girls hated it. Interestingly, the marzipan they got was Swiss. I have never heard of a famous or extremely expensive brand of Swiss marzipan. Anyways, they spit it out. It was pig shaped, so I am sure it was German. Anyways, I often read that US-Americans hate marzipan and I wonder why? Then again, I read the same about black liquorice.

Kevin R.I.
Featured Soloist

« Reply #1870 on: January 03, 2016, 06:20AM »

Lübecker or Königsberger?

Lübecker Marzipan is raw and either pure, or with chocolate (sometimes with rum or coffee in it) or in lots of cute shapes like pigs or apples or carrots. It's certainly the most popular kind of Marzipan here and it's really incredibly diverse - it ranges from super cute to really sophisticated.

Königsberger Marzipan is mixed with rose oil, alcohol and powdered sugar and then flamed, often with icing or jam added and it heart or round shapes. It's rather rare nowadays... you can sometimes (rarely!) find it in shop or really good confectionaries. I've made some for Christmas... but I guess most people don't even know what that is.

May I ask, is American marzipan different in a way? I've seen it on a list of least popular foods in the USA, and in Gilmore Girls the girls hated it. Interestingly, the marzipan they got was Swiss. I have never heard of a famous or extremely expensive brand of Swiss marzipan. Anyways, they spit it out. It was pig shaped, so I am sure it was German. Anyways, I often read that US-Americans hate marzipan and I wonder why? Then again, I read the same about black liquorice.
Apparently my Marzipan was Konigsberger ...it had icing, raisins inside and a center of jam....tasted like apple. It was wrapped in cellophane with the label in German and came from friends in Krefeld. It was REALLY YUMMY...went great with coffee.

thanks EVI

Love, Evi.
ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

let it carry me through darkest night

« Reply #1871 on: January 03, 2016, 07:13AM »

Wow, this is great! Because Königsberger Marzipan is way less-known (because there has never been a famous big factory and because Königsberg is now part of Russia) but - in my opinion - far better. When I first tried it when I was small, I thought it was more like a tiny cake than marzipan,, because it's either baked in the highest place of the oven (that's what i do - amateur, you know) or with such a fire-thingy people use to make crème brûlée. I love it! It's not difficult to make, but in a way exhausting because you can only make small amounts at once and when you cut it with a cookie cutter (like I do) it takes a lot of time. But it's really easy. In case you care:

You need raw marzipan (the simple kind - almonds, water, sugar) you can get at baking supplies, confectionary sugar (like the one used for icing), rose oil and - unless you prefer to leave it without alcohol - high quality vodka. I never made it without alcohol, but I assume it does work out anyways. You put the marzipan in a bowl and knit small amounts of vodka and rose oil (small swallow of vodka, tiny swallow of rose oil) and as much powder sugar you need to knead it to a dough-like mass. Then you need to put powder sugar on a board like flour for cookies and make flat pieces of the marzipan on it and cut it with a cookie cutter (you might need lots of sugar, because it's very sticky!) and then once you have enough you can make slight cuts into it on the top and put it in an oven, at the very top with very high heat and keep it in for a short time until it gets brown on top. Then you have to take it out but it's very soft and sticky 'till it cooled down. When it's cold and hard you can decorate it with icing, jam, nuts, etc. You can also cut out hearts and then smaller hearts out of the hearts to then glue on (with icing) the heart-ring on the full heart, so you can put some jam inside of the frame. But cutting out heart shaped rings might drive one crazy ^^"

Kevin R.I.
Featured Soloist

« Reply #1872 on: January 04, 2016, 04:02PM »

I`ve always heard of Marzipan but had no idea what it was. I was happy to receive this as a gift  from "mein madchen" . I don`t think it contained any alcohol, but it was somewhat round, with icing, raisens inside....no nuts, which is good since I don`t like nuts...that`s squirrel  food Grin and a center of what I think was jam...it tasted apple. It was wrapped in clear cellophane with German writing. All I know is that it was AUSGEIZEITNET.Having been to Germany, I know the food is great and mein Deutche fruendin bist anbetungswurdig. Wink

thanks EVI

Love, Evi.
Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #1873 on: January 07, 2016, 09:57PM »

Lindt/Lindor chocolates Smiley
Kevin R.I.
Featured Soloist

« Reply #1874 on: January 12, 2016, 04:01PM »

Lindt/Lindor chocolates Smiley
you need to try GERMAN MARZIPAN...KEONINGSBURG version...right Chiara??   AUSGEIZEITNET!

thanks EVI

Love, Evi.
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 152   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: