Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Disappointing in Fort Myers  (Read 4302 times)
dbbii

« on: May 06, 2013, 01:40PM »

Before anyone has a heart attack, I am not referring to the cast or the show!!!

Back in 2009, I went to my very first M&G in Fort Myers.  It was only my 3rd CW concert, and I made a somewhat last minute call to the local PBS station, who had tickets.  Like a number of other M&G's over the years, the PBS station did a good job.  M&G (remember, this is after the show) was in a fairly nice room backstage, they had food/drinks out for us and we even got little goodie bags from the station.

Fast forward 4 years.

I really have to do some soul searching about continuing to buy tickets from PBS.  While I enjoy seeing the ladies again, I'm not feeling really appreciated by PBS.  The new M&G format is really rushed.  OK, I can accept that.  The occasional treats being put out (Milwaukee had always done something) was nice but not critical. 

What is really bugging me is the not great seats PBS is passing out this year.  There is something to be said for seeing the show from the front row.  In the 4 M&G's I have had this year, I have not been closer than the 3rd row, and in most cases, I'm way off to the side.   As much as I hate Ticketmaster, maybe I just go thru them. 

On to Fort Myers specifically.  As happened the night before in Orlando, the letter from PBS had the wrong time on it.  Here, we were supposed to be at the box office no later than 5:45.  Oops.  How about 6:20.  We then march outside (after being told 3 times by the PBS lady to put my M&G patch ON MY SHIRT) where Ken gives us his typical spiel.  We then walk down towards the back of the theatre and wait in line. 

THEY HAVE THE M&G IN A FREAKING STAIRWAY!!!.  While the ladies were their usual charming selves. at some point I was worried that someone was going to step back and fall down the stairs!!  The gentleman taking the pictures couldn't really get back far enough to get a decent picture -- I really didn't think my hair was long enough that they had to cut off the top!

To the show.  This is a theatre show.  The stop line was way back from the edge of the stage (think pit stage is up, but they can't go on it).   I'm not sure they could even see the front row.   Decent size stage (unlike Orlando), but doesn't allow for good access.  Lisa and Chloe started TAR from the stage wings as did Anthony for Amazing Grace. 

Crowd was generally quiet.  They really only got into it after Chloe did Ave Maria.  Then, generally finished with standing Os.  I talked with Mr. Peabody in Indianapolis earlier this year and mentioned that the Indy show was the only one I remembered where the audience stayed on their feet for the finale.  They did in Fort Myers also.

Like most people here on the forum, I really love Celtic Woman and have spent a not insignificant amount of time and money on them.  However, something has changed this year.  I'm really getting mixed feelings.   The ladies are absolutely wonderful, and obviously they are the ones this is about.

aislin
Administrator
Total Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 09:22AM »

I wish I could say this is the only time we’ve ever heard about someone having a problem with a PBS and M&Gs but it’s far from it. In fact, the most common complaint I think we’ve seen is that the PBS seats aren’t always wonderful and that has been going on since almost the beginning. I was at a show once a few years back where the people sitting directly behind me had pledged to the local PBS for tickets as soon as they could… and I had bought my tickets at the last minute.

My VERY limited understanding of how this all works is that the PBS books a block of seats from the theater/arena to sell and I’d assume at some point any unsold seats revert to the theater so whether the PBS decides which seats they keep or the theater does, I don’t know. I do know that, historically, the stations don’t seem to be concerned with who pledged when and who bought M&Gs and who didn’t when it comes to who sits where.

M&Gs are done through an agreement with the local PBS and CW. Your experience sounds like the PBS failed all the way around and I’m really sorry for that. PBS is constantly under the gun these days as the government looks for ways to trim their budget, experiences like this really don’t encourage people all that much to deal with them which doesn’t help their cause at all.

Get in touch with whatever station you bought your tickets from and let them know what happened and how drastically different your experiences have been. Even if you don’t get CW tickets through them again, you might make a difference for the next person.

aislin
dbbii

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 02:41PM »

With 2 possible exceptions (Radio City Music Hall and Clearwater, FL), I've always had really good seats (defined as the first two rows) from PBS.  I had a connection at the Clearwater venue who told me that "they" (the venue) kept the first couple rows of tickets for their members. 

This Sunday is my 4th M&G this year.  The "best" seat I had so far was row 6, center.  While good for seeing the show, you miss the interaction.

Ganconagh

Resistance is futile

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 07:57PM »

We’ve crossed paths a few times at the Fox in ATL, and I know how much you enjoy seeing Celtic Woman shows.  I was sorry to read about the sub-par evening in Ft Meyers.  It sounds like FL PBS needs some PR lessons; AND daaaang, that’s the first stairwell M&G I’ve ever heard of (I hope they let y’all pose on the stairs so that all four ladies were close).  At least they had you show up for the M&G early and not late.  This tour’s M&Gs are a blur anyway:  greet, greet, greet, greet, pose/click, “have a great show,” “see ya later.”  You leave feeling kinda short-changed.  At least you know the ladies recognize you and know how you feel about them.  WOW, imagine how disappointing that M&G must have been for first-timers. 
  In the past when you got M&G, you got primo seating, too –- you paid extra, you got extra.  I wonder if PBS is getting a lower-priced block of seats so that they can maximize their profit -– ya reckon?  PBS will tell you that you should not consider the transaction as a ticket “purchase.”  You are making a contribution, and they are sending you a “thank you” gift -– this enables them to keep your money if the show is cancelled, it keeps them from having to guarantee your satisfaction, and it covers their bee-hind if you get cr@ppy seats.  Provide some feedback to your PBS; but send it to Membership Services -- don’t use a “contact us” form.   
  Thanks for posting.  It’s good to vent, and for what it’s worth:  FL PBS isn’t the only one with not-what-I-expected-for-this-kinda-money seats.  I hope your seats for the remaining shows aren't as disappointing as you think (OR that you’ll be able to find a closer, unoccupied seat and move up).     

"Face piles of trials with smiles.  It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free."
GlenS

am admin at the all New Celticwomanforum.net

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 09:51AM »

I wish I could say this is the only time we’ve ever heard about someone having a problem with a PBS and M&Gs but it’s far from it. In fact, the most common complaint I think we’ve seen is that the PBS seats aren’t always wonderful and that has been going on since almost the beginning. I was at a show once a few years back where the people sitting directly behind me had pledged to the local PBS for tickets as soon as they could… and I had bought my tickets at the last minute.

My VERY limited understanding of how this all works is that the PBS books a block of seats from the theater/arena to sell and I’d assume at some point any unsold seats revert to the theater so whether the PBS decides which seats they keep or the theater does, I don’t know. I do know that, historically, the stations don’t seem to be concerned with who pledged when and who bought M&Gs and who didn’t when it comes to who sits where.

M&Gs are done through an agreement with the local PBS and CW. Your experience sounds like the PBS failed all the way around and I’m really sorry for that. PBS is constantly under the gun these days as the government looks for ways to trim their budget, experiences like this really don’t encourage people all that much to deal with them which doesn’t help their cause at all.

Get in touch with whatever station you bought your tickets from and let them know what happened and how drastically different your experiences have been. Even if you don’t get CW tickets through them again, you might make a difference for the next person.

aislin

Aislin I have to disagree with you on the tickets and M&G. PBS has nothing to do with either one it's all controlled by the promoter. I have talked in length with the lady that heads the Milw. PBS for the show and they don't know what seats they are getting till they show up from the promoterThey might have a idea as to where the seats are in my case they thought they were in sec. 2 and 4 center stage being sec. 3 but didn't know for sure and CW controls everything about the M&G's. as to when it will be and where it is at. I know I was talking this year to the lady from MPTV and she had no idea as to where the M&G would be all she knew was it was before the show. I was the first person to buy M&G tickets from MPTV this year and my seats where not bad at all we had front row seats but not center stage they were on the isle stage left right next to the steps going up on the stage. So can't blame PBS on the bad seats it' all up to the promoter and CW LTD. and some venue's have patron seating and in these cases the seats that come out a few days before the show is what they have left over and open them up to the public

Hubert
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 11:36AM »

Since 2010 all Celtic Woman concerts in Arkansas have been under the auspicies of the statewide PBS network.  They have been totally first rate.  The tickets are available only through PBS.  The first one to order tickets gets the best seats.  Mine have always been on the front row because I am the CWaziest in the state and order the instant tickets become available.  The M&G's have always been great fun and professionally run.  The PBS people treat their donors like royalty.
I just wanted to let everyone know this.  Unfortunately, CW is not coming to Arkansas this year so I am seeing the girls out of state.  I feel fortunate after reading about your experience.

There is no Lambe like our Lil' Lambe.  Mairead Carlin is the real deal.
dbbii

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 07:45PM »

I don't disagree too much with Glen in that the M&G is primarily controlled by CW.  However, I'm sending a check to the PBS station!  They are the ones getting the "donation" so they are the ones who are going to get the grief.

littlecubspirit
Honorary Roadie

Mairead and Misha- Pixies!

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 09:40PM »

Forgive me for adding my two cents but… suppose I had been at that M&G? As someone who is wheelchair bound, would I have been told I could not meet the girls? I am certainly not the only fan of the girls who has a disability…

I'm sure had someone with special needs been at that venue and had M&G the girls would have seen to it that that particular fan was treated well and gone above and beyond to do so. I know they did so for one challenged fan who had M&G at my show. He received a kiss from Chloe and a solo pic with her in addition to the group pic.

And we all know how lucky I got when I saw them at stage door.

However, the girls should not have to make these kind  of accommodations . The venue should be. Regardless of whether or not they know for sure if patrons who paid for M&G are disabled or not the M&G should be accessible and safe by default. Or they are in major violation of the Americans with Disabilities act.

MY REVIEW OF MY THIRD SHOW IS UP!

I MET LISA L, CHLOE, MAIREAD N, SUSAN,  MAIREAD C, LYNN, EABHA,  DAVID, SARAH/EDEL, CRAIG, NICK, RAY, ANTHONY!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: