Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Portland, ME--WOW!  (Read 3170 times)
Dan

Éireannach

« on: March 02, 2013, 11:00PM »

I can honestly say that the group as it is now has such a bond; it's so clear in how they perform and interact. Chloe was literally taken aback by the crowd response after "Ave Maria." She kept saying "Wow, thank you so much!" Lisa Lambe was incredible as always--the Sean Nós singing before "Dulamán" was so beautiful. And Susan...wow. She has come into her own and with the group. That girl has power and she can SING. I have come to the conclusion that the concert is Mairead's world, and we're all just living in it. She had the crowd eating out of the palm of her hand. Standing O's, cheering, whistling, and more.

Alright, I've babbled enough. Anybody else who was at the show feel free to add!

EDIT: Okay, so now that I've had a few days to process, I can be a bit more coherent.  Tongue

Instead of going song by song, I'll just make a few overall comments:
-The Merrill Auditorium is the perfect kind of venue for the group--smaller, great acoustics, not a bad seat in the house.
-The choir, although smaller, sounds fantastic! Craig, Dermot, Edel, and Sarah have a fantastic sound.
-I haven't seen the group dynamic this strong and at-ease since the original lineup. Chloe, Susan, Mairead, and Lisa are clearly sisters and passionate about what they do.
-Susan's solos blew. me. away. She is so much more at home this time round, and "Caledonia" and "The Voice" show clearly the power she has behind her voice; not to mention passion.
-Chloe's voice has gotten so much clearer and stronger. I can definitely see her as the more leader-type singer in the group now (à la Lisa Kelly).
-Lisa's "Bridge Over Troubled Water" is so incredible and moving. The feeling and emotion that this song has for her is evident in literally every syllable.
-Mairead...we all know she's amazing and incredible. She had an otherwise blah New England crowd up on their feet by the time she came out to play "Coast of Galicia."
-The group numbers were great. These three girls have a wonderful sound together. They naturally blend; there's no need to try and overharmonize or anything to force a good sound.

In case I haven't made the point already, THIS IS THE SHOW TO SEE!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 12:56PM by Dan » Logged

20 June 2007-Portland, ME
22 March 2012-Manchester, NH
2 March 2013-Portland, ME
30 May 2014-Bangor, ME
28 March 2015-Portland, ME
28 June 2016-Lowell, MA
9 April 2017-Portland, ME
4 April 2018-Portland, ME
Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 07:02AM »

I appreciate your assessment .   Getting back to Celtic roots is absolutely wonderful. It  whets my appetite for April 13th when our gals come to  Minneapolis.  And I believe  what you said about Mairead. I would  gladly let myself be entranced by her always.

mattycakes
Honorary Roadie

Oh you have made me very angry, very angry indeed!

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 07:09AM »

Was Walking The Night/The World Falls Away at your show? Cuz I read a review that it wasn't...
Dan

Éireannach

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 07:22AM »

Was Walking The Night/The World Falls Away at your show? Cuz I read a review that it wasn't...

Sadly, it wasn't.

20 June 2007-Portland, ME
22 March 2012-Manchester, NH
2 March 2013-Portland, ME
30 May 2014-Bangor, ME
28 March 2015-Portland, ME
28 June 2016-Lowell, MA
9 April 2017-Portland, ME
4 April 2018-Portland, ME
Hubert
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 11:57AM »

Another great review.  I want to see this for myself and I have to wait until May.

There is no Lambe like our Lil' Lambe.  Mairead Carlin is the real deal.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: