Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mullins Center Review  (Read 2269 times)
bobh56
Honorary Roadie

« on: March 05, 2013, 09:16PM »

Fellow Forumites,

Last Sunday (3/3/13), at UMass’s Mullins Center, I was once again awe struck by Celtic Woman.  While this year’s version of Believe, is different that last year’s, it is, in my humble opinion, just as good, if not better in some respects.  Reading through a few of my past concert reviews, I seem to always say that the show being reviewed was better than the last I saw.  At the risk of being repetitious and sounding boring (which one should strive to not be), I have report that I have reached the same conclusion – I have no idea how they do it, but Celtic Woman’s concerts keep getting better.

I was ecstatic to read in the program for the current Believe tour that many old favorites have been brought back.  It was great to hear Caledonia, Orinoco Flow, The Coast of Galicia, The New Ground, The Voice, Shenandoah, She Moved Through The Fair, Nil Sen La, and You Raise Me Up live again.  I love all of these songs, so the new show to my way of thinking is sort of a Celtic Woman Greatest Hits Show.  Also, the mixing of the songs in the new show is fantastic because the show doesn’t drag for a second.  Even when there is a slow song (to allow the audience to catch their breath), it is followed by a more raucous number that gets the blood pumping – e.g., Chloe’s Nocturne is followed by Mairead’s The Coast of Galicia, and Tommy’s The New Ground is followed by Orinoco Flow.  The whole show moves at such a breakneck pace that I was surprised (and a little saddened) that the 2+ hours went by so fast.

As much as I miss seeing the past performers (particularly Lisa K.) , Chloe’s, Mairead’s, Lisa L’s, and Susan’s talents and personalities blend so well that they are taking Celtic Woman to new heights.  As a rule, I don’t like to compare performers because I feel it’s disrespectful.  Also, because they are each artists in their own right, making comparisons is often as useful as comparing apples and oranges.  So, in the interest of fairplay (not comparisons), I must say that Susan’s renditions of Caledonia and The Voice are superb.  Lisa L’s Bridge Over Troubled Water really got to me; I have not been so moved by this song since I first heard Art Garfunkel’s original version in 1970.  Although I have said it before, I have to say again that Chloe’s delivery of Ave Maria is flawless, and worthy of the extended standing ovation that it gets at every show I’ve attended.  Mairead was her effervescent self; I particularly enjoyed fiddle/dance duel she does with Craig following Shenandoah, and the (too) brief jam session she does with Ray and Ewan at the beginning of Nil Sen La.  Speaking of Nil Sen La, while the aforementioned jam session is going on, the Choir members, Anthony, and Craig were out in the audience dancing and making merry only to be called back to the stage by Chloe, LisaL, and Susan feigning anger – a most hilarious moment very similar to the “argument” between Chloe, Lisa L, and Susan at the beginning of Tier Abhaile Riu.  I also am very please that they continue to showcase the individual talents of the band members – in particular, Ray’s Bodhran solo and Tommy’s The New Grange are incredible.  My only very slight disappointment was that, although it's listed in the program, the Ladies did not peform Songs from The Heart - Walking The Night & The World Falls Away, which is another of my favorites.

I could go on more, but as mentioned above, one should strive to not be boring, so I’ll close by saying I hope to see some of you at a future Celtic Woiman Concert.  Until then –

Be well,

Bob  
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 11:03PM by bobh56 » Logged
Hubert
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 11:16AM »

Thanks for the great review.  I certainly am looking forward to my two shows in May.  This just whets my appetite even more.

There is no Lambe like our Lil' Lambe.  Mairead Carlin is the real deal.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: