Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yet Another Máiréad Interview, Pittsburgh, PA  (Read 1898 times)
AggieGuy
Honorary Roadie

« on: March 26, 2013, 05:47PM »

Many of the songs performed by Celtic Woman are as old as the rolling green hills of Ireland.

Still, there promises to be fresh magic in the moments as the all-Irish female ensemble returns to Pittsburgh tonight for a show at Heinz Hall, Downtown.

"It's different every night because the audience actually can take over sometimes. They can be quite dynamic and really shock you almost, in a good way," said Mairead Nesbitt, who has been playing her violin out front with the group since it was formed 10 years ago.

"I don't like things that are contrived or just too studied. I don't think it comes across very well. But while saying that, you do have to practice and you do have to be prepared and at the top of your craft. The X factor, which nobody can quite explain, is what takes place when all of that is done. That's as important as anything else.

"This year we decided to shake things up a bit. We've gotten a lot of feedback from people over the years, and we've gotten to know what their favorites are and also what they want to hear that's new as well. It's a great mix. We still have a wonderful band and choir, and we have a bagpiper and a male solo dancer who I get to do a tune with in the second half of the show. We're really looking forward to bringing our new arrangements and new set list to people."

The other faces of Celtic Woman are singers Chloe Agnew, Lisa Lambe and Susan McFadden. With Ms. Nesbitt, they give voice to classical Irish music, as well as more modern songs that slide smoothly into the traditional mix.

Ms. Nesbitt is the blonde sprite flitting across the stage, the lightness of her movements in contrast to the intensity with which she plays her violin. She smiles at the audience as she saws out a spirited lilt, then stops and takes the music on a somber turn. She bends forward, her eyes low, peering over the violin, her smile lost behind the instrument -- then bounces back into a whirlwind of a finish.

"Everything has to be natural," she said. "To me, the most important thing is the music and the audience."

The dancing is an added bonus.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/ae/music/tonight-celtic-woman-bring-irish-traditions-to-heinz-hall-680934/
Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 05:57PM »

What comes across for me very clearly here and in other interviews ,is that Mairead-  in spite of her immense talent and popularity - remains  modest.  And that may be  her  most attractive quality yet. ( and she has plenty)  I wanted to say that that is a rarity in today's entertainment world where  most of those out there are attention seeking and emotionally stunted.  Our special ladies are a breath of fresh air in this regard.  Smiley   

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: