Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Celtic Woman Proves Everyone Really Does Love an Irish Girl  (Read 2551 times)
AggieGuy
Honorary Roadie

« on: April 16, 2013, 05:46PM »

Celtic Woman Proves Everyone Really Does Love an Irish Girl
By Colleen Jurkiewicz

John F. Kennedy said it best. What's the use of being Irish if the world doesn't break your heart?

Irish music is usually gritty. Even the most hopeful ballads and the most lighthearted drinking songs have an edge of despair to them, and the same goes for the performers. Tommy Makem was a legend, but he wasn't exactly polished – if he had been, he probably wouldn't have been a legend at all.

But that polish was what struck this audience member most about the Irish supergroup Celtic Woman at the Milwaukee Theatre Sunday afternoon. These ladies are lace-curtain Irish through and through.

First of all, they're all alarmingly gorgeous. The quartet's members – Chloë Agnew, Lisa Lambe, Susan McFadden and fiddler Máiréad Nesbitt – look like Druid Disney princesses, with long flowing hair and soft brogues. They speak like they attended finishing school and flash megawatt smiles.

I've always felt that Irish songs are best sung in dimly-lit pubs, with beer on the floor and curse words flying. So when you see these statuesque beauty queens in bejeweled evening gowns, you're not quite sure what to expect.

But then they start to sing – or in Nesbitt's case, play the fiddle – and you kind of forget that you ever underestimated them.

Whatever the singing equivalent of the gift of the Blarney is, these girls have it. Their vocal range is wide and they can – and do – hit any note. Each girl could have a successful solo career, undoubtedly, but their voices are made stronger by how well they complement one another, and it made for an intense theatrical experience.

Read More: http://onmilwaukee.com/ent/articles/celticwomanreview13.html

The article is also posted on the CW website.
Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 06:21PM »

That's  a wonderful article !  Cool

urbanracer34
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 06:34PM »

Great article! Smiley

I'm Jerad. Smiley
CWazy since 2012!
CompTIA A+ certified, Long time Apple product user.

Banner by Kirstie. Thanks! Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: