Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Celtic Woman Changes Faces, but not Quality of Music (Lisa Lambe Interview)  (Read 3281 times)
AggieGuy
Honorary Roadie

« on: April 25, 2013, 06:27PM »

Celtic Woman don't have a new CD or DVD to tour behind this year. So what will the Irish-rooted vocal group have to offer?

Essentially, nothing but their best.

“It's a beautiful show,” Celtic Woman singer Lisa Lambe said in a recent phone interview.

“And it's a show that's a celebration of the best of Celtic Woman. I suppose it's almost like the greatest hits down through the years and songs that people will know very well, songs I think they'll want to sing along with, or at least I hope they will. Songs like ‘Orinoco Flow,' ‘You Raise Me Up,' ‘She Moved Through the Fair,' and then we have some beautiful classics that I don't think any Celtic Woman concert or performance can be complete without — songs like ‘Danny Boy,' which, for me, are some of the highlights and the moments that I enjoy best when I'm performing the show.”

Judging from the continuing success of Celtic Woman, the group, which is backed by a full band and choir in concert, has created an elaborate live show that appeals to a large audience.

Originally, Celtic Woman was created for a television special filmed in Ireland, and musical director David Downes and producer Sharon Bowne essentially recruited four singers — Orla Fallon, Chloe Agnew, Lisa Kelly and Meav Ni Mhaolchatha, along with fiddle player Mairead Nesbitt — to perform that single concert.

Instead, PBS picked up the film of that performance, and it became a popular fundraising program in spring and summer 2005. This helped pave the way for the release of the show as a concert DVD that sold more than a million copies. Meanwhile the group's self-titled first studio album topped “Billboard” magazine's world music chart for a record-setting 81 weeks.

By then it was clear that Celtic Woman had a big future, and the organizers had hit on a musical formula with wide appeal by mixing together traditional Irish songs, a little light classical, pop standards (the repertoire has included Bobby Darin's “By the Sea,” the Josh Groban hit “You Raise Me Up” and Enya's “Orinoco Flow”) and even a few tunes from musicals and movies (such as “Somewhere Over the Rainbow”).

The group has gone on to release three more studio albums, 2007's “A New Journey,” 2010's “Songs From the Heart” and 2012's “Believe,” each of which was accompanied by a DVD.

The success has been sustained as the lineup has seen Kelly, Fallon and Mhaolchatha leave, and singers Alex Sharpe, Lynn Hilary and Hayley Westenra arrive and then depart. Today's lineup features vocalists Agnew, Lambe (who joined in 2011) and Susan McFadden (who joined in 2012) as well as Nesbitt.

http://www.goupstate.com/article/20130425/ENT/304251005?p=3&tc=pg
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: