Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ‘Celtic Woman’ at Wolf Trap  (Read 2103 times)
AggieGuy
Honorary Roadie

« on: June 18, 2013, 10:42PM »

Celtic Woman performed a dazzling sold out show at Wolf Trap National Park for the Performing Arts last night and have just two shows left in their North American tour. The musically talented quartet of women and incredibly accomplished Music Director, David Downes, have created a musical spectacular all ages can enjoy. An absolutely thrilling modern twist on Irish music and culture that will have you dancing in your seat and clapping your hands.

A vast multi-leveled set with a stair down the middle and dual percussion platforms to either side filled the stage. The swirling Celtic inspired paint glowed with a different color for each song and the wonderfully choreographed performers moved with grace and meaningful execution. A row of talented musicians played by the platforms and two brilliant percussionists danced from instrument to instrument to set the stage for Celtic Woman.

Máiréad Nesbitt, an original member of the group, delighted with her frolicking fiddling and fancy footwork. Nesbitt’s unique style is vigorously full of energy and her absolute love of what she does. She roused the crowd with every performance, but her solo’s, “Coast Of Galicia” and “Granuaile’s Dance” earned standing ovations while her piece Shenandoah-dancer’was an incredible display of the dancing versus the violin.

Chloë Agnew, also an original member, wowed with her crystal clear voice and a fun and engaging personality. Her performance of “Nocturne” was hauntingly beautiful and everyone stood to cheer her pitch perfect rendition of “Ave Maria.”. Agnew is fun to watch, as her love to entertain clearly shines through.

Lisa Lambe’s powerful voice and her flaming red hair lit up the stage. “Dulaman” was achingly beautiful while her other solo, “Bridge Over Troubled Water” stirred even the most frigid hearts. Susan McFadden, the newest member, gracefully stood out with rendition of “Caledonia” and her angelic voice was a match made in heaven for her and Nesbitt’s moving performance of “The Voice.”

Celtic Woman is an all around feel-good experience and wonderfully entertaining evening of music, dance, and Irish culture. Apart they each shone in a unique way, but their group performances of “Awakening,” the hilarious subtext of “Teir Abhaile” and the spine tingling beauty of “Parting Glass” were perfect in both harmony and arrangement. These women are truly a music lover’s dream come true, but the incredibly talented and engaging team of musicians and a harmonious choir complete the whole package.

5 stars for a beautifully crafted and perfectly executed show that addresses both love and loss through music, Irish culture, and a genuine love of entertaining.

http://www.dcmetrotheaterarts.com/2013/06/15/celtic-woman-at-wolf-trap-by-erica-laxson/
mattycakes
Honorary Roadie

Oh you have made me very angry, very angry indeed!

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 08:27PM »

Well! I'm VERY happy to read this review! Finally someone who seems to get it!
AggieGuy
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 09:16PM »

Yeah, it was simply put, but far better than a good number of the reviews we've seen this year.
littlecubspirit
Honorary Roadie

Mairead and Misha- Pixies!

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 01:12AM »

Yeah, it was simply put, but far better than a good number of the reviews we've seen this year.

Agreed

MY REVIEW OF MY THIRD SHOW IS UP!

I MET LISA L, CHLOE, MAIREAD N, SUSAN,  MAIREAD C, LYNN, EABHA,  DAVID, SARAH/EDEL, CRAIG, NICK, RAY, ANTHONY!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: